[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Electrician ?
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Electrician ? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Electrician ?
Anybody know of a good electrician ?

Last spring I had A/C installed at the house and had the electrician run 220v to the garage.

At the time, I didn't know which 220v welder I wanted and what size breaker and receptacle I would need. The electrician was supposed to come back and do it later.

Of course now I can't get a return call so need someone to finish the job.

I'm no electron whisperer so I don't want to do it myself.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Electrician ?
Your electrician should have known you size the breaker to the wire that is installed and not to the components you use.
It sounds like he made off with a few hundred dollars extra profit.
Can you read the wire size he installed? I want to make sure he sized it correctly so you can run your new welder. If everything looks good I might be able to help you out.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If 76fordbronco thinks the wire is correct and leads us to the correct outcome I'll swing by and do the install of the box (if needed), correct breaker, correct wire from box to outlet and the correct outlet. I installed my own setup, but I only had to add to the main breaker box. It's not like it's out of my way or anything.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:35 pm

How many amps is the new welder?

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, nuts to the wire. That's boring. We want to know about the welder! I'm happy to help with the wiring as well. 76, because he's awesome, helped me run the sub-panel and I did both the 220 outlets from there. I ran a dedicated 40a breaker for each of my 220 outlets with 6ga wire. If I remember correctly 8g would have been fine but I got the 6g off the scrap rack at Home Depot. It sucked to run, and I'd pay the extra for the 8g if I did it over. Not sure what welder you're running, but a 30a is likely to cover it and a 40a definitely will unless it's something massive. My 210 amp welder pulls 32a at full tilt which I almost never use (except today).

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks everybody for the offers to help.

I will get the digits off the wire tomorrow when it is light enough to see them.

The welder is one of those cheesy Miller 211 and the weld shop said it needs a 50 amp breaker but he didn't sound to sure of himself.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Specs say it draws 25A. You'll want at a minimum 10ga wire. Better having 8ga.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The 211 is a great welder, very good choice. Itll draw about the same as mine, maybe a touch more. 40a circuit will be fine.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good point.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lucky for me it appears to be 6 awg rated for 600v

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet! Not sure what the length of the run is, but you're good for 50 amps up to at least 15 feet.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You're probably still fine. 15' @ 50a is conservative. If it's long, put a 40a breaker on it.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My electrician friends have said 8g is fine for 50 amps. Its only not 'ok' to code because of some "stupid derating" residential code requires. I've been told this by an old electrician who knows everything, and a younger guy who just got his license. 6g should be fine for any length run.

I put in lots of hot tubs, way farther than 15' away from the breaker where the electrician used 8g, and they all used 50 amp breakers.

Realize that electrical parts manufacturers & electrician unions are writing the code books. The manufacturers get you to buy the most expensive products. And the codes are intentionally written complex/confusing so homeowners can't understand them, this ensures you have to hire a union electrician. Many new codes require combo arc fault, gfci breakers ($80 each) on just about every circuit. I was talking to a builder of high end homes during hunting season and he says most the homes he's built won't work with these new breakers (many fluorescent ballasts trip gfci's), and he ends up swapping them out to regular breakers after inspections just so the customer who has paid millions of dollars, have a home that actually keeps the lights on. What I'm saying, is screw code, you are fine.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:06 pm

depending on what temp rating the wire is and is it copper or aluminum?

copper will be 55-75amps

aluminum is 40-60 amps. Look at which wire type it is and temp rating. 60*C 75*C or 90*C

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Copper wire

TWN75 / T90

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:11 am

Should be rated at 65amps. Either way put it on a 30amp breaker.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks everyone for the education and to Chaney for walking me through how to wire it up.

I think it turned out ok.

image.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I thought I had it licked last week but turned out there were a couple more junction boxes of unconnected wires.

A HUGE THANKS to 76fordbronco for dropping by and finish it up since I was too intimidated to do it myself.

Thanks !

Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]