[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Now: The Old School Super Duty
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Now: The Old School Super Duty 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Now: The Old School Super Duty
I guess this is a bit of a feeler/good to know. Wondering if anyone has a gooseneck trailer, 20' minimum and rated at 5k or larger, that they would be willing to lend out.

I'm eyeballing a 78 F250 Supercab long bed in Idaho and I don't quite have the confidence in my 20' bumper pull to handle the task.

Because I know there will be questions...
1. Buy 73-79 Supercab long bed
2. Sell '03 F250
3. Install 7.3 Powerstroke in 73-79 F250
4. Drive and smile

Of course, at the rate I accomplish things, this will all be complete exactly one day before the apocalypse.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 20'+ gooseneck to borrow?
So one day of driving & smiling, that's worth it!

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You're looking at it all wrong. Do it roadkill style. Drive the '03 up, pull the engine and swap it into the '78, drive the '78 back.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Your truck and trailer would have no problems!

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My hitch is rated at 5k. My trailer weighs 3k. Curb weight of this bad boy is somewhere between 4500-6k, depending on who you ask.

The Terrible One

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:15 pm

Get a Weight distribution/sway control hitch and go get it done.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 20'+ gooseneck to borrow?
Find another trans and swap it there. Drive it home. I have a decent trans jack you can borrow

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Flat tow it? Your SD outweighs it by enough.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know you guys are trying to help...but this is likely a problem that doesn't need a solution.

1) A weight distribution hitch is a great idea. For a one time use, not so much. I'm already looking at $600 in fuel to make the 2300 mile journey to pick this thing up, not to mention 32 hours of driving accoring to the Googs. Add on to that the installation and wait time for said hitch. Yes, it will fit an older truck as the set up is designed from the hitch back to the trailer. However, I am not anticipating needing to pull this size of load again anytime soon. And when/if that occurs, I hope to have my hitch situation rectified on the trailer end of things.

2) As tempting as it is to swap in a new trans and drive it home, I do not plan to keep the current drivetrain in it for long. So, buying ANOTHER trans that I will have/need to sell down the road isn't cool. Plus, 32 hour round trip now gets longer with the R&R time for said transmission. Also, I do not know how long this truck has been off the road, so driving it 1100+ miles back to Colorado from Idaho doesn't sound that fun when you have a job to be at on Monday.

3) Flat towing is another option. Not really looking to spend money on a tow bar. Not really looking to screw up a decent stock bumper to install said tow bar. Not looking to have said tow bar around the garage tripping me up after I get home.

In all honesty, there's only a 50%, at best, chance that this will happen. As I said in the original post though, it would be nice to know that a goosey is available should I need it in the future. So, if one isn't available now, it just gives me an excuse to not be disappointed at not being able to do this now versus later.

Now, if T.O. happened to leave my yard, options would certainly open up immensely with regard to this. But, I still don't have it where I want it before it goes up for sale.

The Terrible One

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How about getting a shipping quote from a transporter?

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Zack give me a call or pm me

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sent you a PM Alex.

For the masses: As long as we're taking this train all over the neighborhood, what auto trans would YOU run behind a 12V Cummins?

The Terrible One

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Found a trailer. :)

Here's the truck.

And I might have already found a buyer for the Super Duty. Which means a) I've got an awesome truck, b) I've severely under priced it, or c) I found a very uneducated buyer. No idea which it might be.

The Terrible One

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You've got a family, start looking for that needle in the haystack crew cab...

And as much as I hate to say it, perhaps a 6BT would be an easier swap??

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Now: The Old School Super Duty
Thought I would go ahead and get this out of the classifieds.

The Terrible One

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's a gas engine you can get locally, (Greeley) drive home, then tear it apart???

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/4968559177.html

To new for you?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

"INJECTOR TIP BROKE OFF TODAY. TAKING OFFERS. RUNS BUT VERY POOR"

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4991684670.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There's a red one running around up here in Lakewood that's done up just the way your talking about.That thing is badass.I'll try to get a pick next time I see it.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ahhh...'73-79....Gotcha!

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last one I promise...

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/4995812676.html

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Getting warmer!!

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next