[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - EFI Guy's Build Thread. Diez
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 EFI Guy's Build Thread. Diez 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: EFI Guy's Build Thread. Diez
Nice job! Great work guys - really coming along and as we keep saying your almost at the turning point.

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very cool, keep it going!

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55 am

I have something else for you as well. We'll call this a donation to the build.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:22 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 am
VENDOR
VENDOR

Well, I think the panel can be saved. But I fought with it all night trying to get everything to align properly and I'm still not happy with it. I'l probably work on something else tomorrow night and see if I can get measurements from someone else's Saturday to see where I'm going wrong.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:34 am
VENDOR
VENDOR

Well, things are fitting much better now, and most of it is tacked in. I ran out of welding gas this weekend but should have 2 bottles delivered tomorrow. We've also got the passenger inner fender mostly welded in. I will still need to tweak the cowl before the final burn-in, but the windshield support, firewall, kick panel, and floor pan are welded in and ground smooth now. Thanks John, Jeff, and Tim!

John welded in the B pillar support and also fabbed up the missing chunk in the door jamb, both turned out great.

My original body guy is out of his shop now so I can't use him. I have another guy that is supposed to come by Saturday morning and take a look and give me a quote. So, John (D&D) was nice enough to deliver my hood that he was also nice enough to store (for just a little while). I think I'm going to give Bully Liner a shot for the interior. It can be sprayed in the garage without a respirator, appears to touch up really easy, and doesn't require an insane amount of prep work. It's a newer product that doesn't seem to have a ton of reviews though, but couldn't find any bad feedback on it. It seems to be on par durability wise with Raptor from the (likely very biased) Youtube vids I've seen.

The to-do list is getting smaller... Finish cowl and inner fender, patch a bunch of small holes, apply seam sealer, and cut out for fender flares...Unless the paint guy adds more to my list.

Since I was out of welding gas the wife and I made a trip to tractor supply and bought 2 cans of paint to see the colors on some metal. I intentionally sprayed them both with a bunch of crap floating in the air. She loves the Massey Ferguson grey, I like it as well, but I like the white too. The thing I like best about the white is that it hides all the dirt, scratches, and imperfections very well. The grey seems to make it all show up, otherwise, it would be the winner for sure. We're still undecided about it.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Two tone...or her side gray and yours white??

Looks great! Seems there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Nice Progress looks like its coming together nicely! Painting it white defiantly hides more and keep cleaner as you mentioned although going against management has it consequences icon biggin

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:01 am
VENDOR
VENDOR

Well, everything is finally burned in. John and tim even prettied up my booger welds pretty well. I had to rework the lower channel again to get it to fit correctly. I also split the lower cowl at the seam and rewelded it back together, that was an ugly task!

I’m still undecided on what I should do with this open area. Part of me thinks it should be sealed off to keep dirt and water out. The other part of me thinks I should leave it open to drain the channel underneath. Thoughts?

Tim decided to clean up the welds on the ugly patches in the front corners and quickly burned through the very thin metal used for the patch. Both sides had some pretty ugly cancer hidden underneath. So I made new pieces on the brake and John blacksmithed them into near perfection and we welded them in.

John removed the old RV table holder thin-a-ma-jig and fabbed up a piece of floorpan on the brake. I welded it in from the top while he was underneath putting out the fires of the undercoating with an air hose.

Today I welded closed all of the exterior holes from the spare tire carrier and God knows what else. I also made a patch to cover the license plate light and holder. There are just a few small holes from the old roll bar on the inside to weld shut now. I need to cut and reweld one of the lower corners in the rear where the alignment is bad, then cut out for flares and it should be ready for some color (or a neutral). After seam sealer of course.

The painter I talked to last weekend wouldn’t be able to get what I wanted done in time, but his prices were reasonable if anyone wants a referral. So my plan C. is now to partially shoot it in my garage. We’ll only shoot the rear quarters in my garage. The fenders, doors, hood, etc... will all go to my buddies house to be shot one piece at a time in his makeshift paint booth. He does a lot of custom airbrush stuff these days so he has the ability to shoot the panels individually but can’t fit an entire vehicle in it.

That's the plan going forward anyway. He hasn’t been by to check it out yet, so I may still need a plan D.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Garry,

I'll have to check, but I think the open channel on the passenger side of the cowl is supposed to be filled with a big glob of seam sealer. I think that's the way it is with mine. I can check if you want.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you're going to do some painting in the garage, give me a call. I did mine in the garage and it came out prey good for my first attempt. I think i have a good amount of high build primer leftover too.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet! Wasn't sure you would be working on it this weekend after your impromptu trip to the ER! For what it is worth, that open spot on mine is open.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:04 am

Everything is looking great! nice work on all the body panels/filling holes.
For painting I wouldn't hesitate to shoot your etching primer/hi build primer out in the driveway it dry's so fast and you have to wetsand it anyhow unless all this is being done by the painter.

If you need a hand let me know I'll be glad to bring my painting stuff by and help out if that's your plan.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks really good. I would try and seal that channel with either seam sealer - will take allot. Or they make a foam like compound they use in doors to fill voids. I can't remember what its called but do a search - its similar to the foam stuff you can get at Home Depot. Either way once you have that void filled at either end do your best to seam seal the cowl top and sides. Ideally You want to try and keep water out of there if you can as it will eventually end up sitting in there.

With that being said, i know some people have left it open but don't know how well that worked out..

when I had my green/yellow bronco painted they used that foam. It is really dense and sprayed it in, let it sit. then used a razor blade to cut flush. then seam seal

Also i have run a rag through there soaked in your choice of coating to try and protect the metal. I think on my 72 i ran rust preventative coating - similar to that Blackstar stuff. soaked a rag and rammed it through a few times. But i didn't' have the metal tabs anymore and I wasn't doing a restore.. just holding off rust for a few more years :)

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, mine's seam sealed. Original from 1971.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

spit...That's what it looks like! There's a couple seam sealer dribbles on the passenger floor still. I feel they were pretty liberal with that stuff back in the day!

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good.

They make flexible foams and structural foams for body panels. I would think any foam would be fine (even household stuff), or just some seam sealer. If you are using a thinner bodied seam sealer the foam would help make the application easier.

Something like this would make coating the inside of the cavity easy. It's got a long tube with multi directional spray tip. It's for coating inside of frame rails but should work in this application too.

https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Interna ... B00MROX1J4

A cavity wax is probably the best option, I don't know why they don't make the spray can with a similar tube/spray tip as the frame coating cans.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy ... amber.html

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:49 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Some stuff happened this weekend.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking sharp!! What’s next?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 am
VENDOR
VENDOR

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:53 am

Looks great! Nice progress your defiantly putting in the garage hours thumbs up

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think that paint looks great

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Keep up the record setting pace, it looks great!

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, this happened Saturday. Technically it didn't completely happen until Sunday morning. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice! You're making killer progress.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's a big step!

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:54 am