[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - build thread from the wind tunnel
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 build thread from the wind tunnel 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: build thread from the wind tunnel
A pic and a video from today.

It's hard to tell but the 2nd step is about 4' tall. Mo's Jeep is pretty sweet, coil overs, linked, Rock Jock 60 front, Currie 60 rear. I didn't even try this. Waiting for a front locker to push any further than I've already pushed.

KIMG0099.JPG

https://youtu.be/GaAIxv_6FkM

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry to hear about the breakage. Does the frame appear thin there from rust or just the picture?? Some nice plates will fix that right up. What damage is to the shock?

The obstacle looks like a blast!

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think the frame is thin. It was just a lot of leverage hanging away from the frame far enough to mount the shock in the wheel well.

No damage to the shock, fortunately.

I'll try to fill the holes with new metal. I'll add some large angle iron that will wrap under the frame and add some gussets to the shock mounts. I knew I should have at least added the gussets when I installed the shock mounts, but it never got done.

That obstacle was impressive. The video doesn't do it justice.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Love my air bumps. Do it.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Willem recently had the front shock mounts do the same to his frame, we put in aftermarket hoops that tie into the spring tower and then at two points on the frame, I hope they hold.

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just caught up on your build! Awesome work!. My suspension set up is super similar to yours its flexes like mad! I was hoping to have made it to Rubicon this summer but work got in the way.....kinda why I am just now catching up on some reads.

I did step up to 40s on 79 f150 axles. I sheered both original front inner axles then replaced them with chromoly with super joints hoping my hubs were the fuse here, hubs are real easy to swap in the field. Then exploded an original rear axle took out the locker in the process. While attempting to get off the trail disintegrated a hub, my fuse worked. Upgraded the rear to a 35 spline. At this point, I think my axles will hold.

None the less, rig looks great!

Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I haven't had issues with my floor getting so hot, but my exhaust runs pretty close to a Johhny joint and after some time, it begins to squeek. I have wrapped that area with foil backed exhaust insulation, and while it may have helped, it wasn't the cure. It will still get too hot. My headers are wrapped with exhaust wrap sourced from some warehouse in Colorado Springs.

While rerouting your exhaust, it certainly wouldn't hurt to wrap it as well.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 am

I ran into the same issue when trying to run the exhaust on my 4 link, I also wrapped the exhaust in sensitive areas and then added these home made 0.106 aluminum heat shields to protect the links from heat and to help with the radiant heat on the floor board not sure how effective they are but couldn't hurt.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Unfortunately there is NO space for heat shields where the exhaust passes between the floor and frame. I wrapped it in exhaust wrap and there is probably least than 1/8” clearance above and below. Remember I have no body lift. It needs to be rerouted. I have more wrap and will probably wrap everything once it's done especially up front near the motor. I don't know if I'll wrap the headers.

I did spray Al's HNR (Heat and Noise Reducer) before the bed liner. It's a bargain version of Lizard Skin but you get what you pay for and it didn't work miracles. With the hot summers here I'm seriously considering tube doors and removing the top next year.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

how is the axle build coming along?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As long as you're hybridizing, are you going full float on the rear? The 14 bolt outers are bombproof and give a ton of flexibility.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds like a sick set of axles! That would boost confidence for sure!!

Is there a reason for the LP rear 3rd? Seems prices for HP are cheaper, but maybe that is until you start adding goodies?

If I had to choose one axle to HP, I think I'd go with the rear. The front can more easily steer around an obstacle, but the rear seems to be the one that gets hung up the hardest and most often.

Speaking of dragging over rocks, I added a small piece of plate at the bottom of my rear diff to try to protect the housing from further damage. A sacrificial plate of sorts.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The HP and LP 10" stuff is equally priced. I discussed it with Gearworks and even though the HP rear would probably never break I'm leaning towards the LP rear because it's running on the drive side of the gears. Strength over clearance.

I cant seem to bring myself to build an axle that runs on the "wrong" side of the gears. No matter how over built it might be.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Some "bad" advice from a local friend and Summit Racing's Black Friday's deals have started the ball rolling. Living within driving distance of Summit is going to cost me a lot of money, I can tell.

9008.jpeg

I might be taking this on myself, or at least setting everything up myself.

Leaning towards a 14 bolt spindle/hub based rear full floating rear end.

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last 2 in stock in Sparks. 3.5" diameter w/ 3/8" wall

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

(Drools)

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:45 pm

Man those are sweet! and a nice clean start

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm sort of amazed how small the diff is. Hard to believe a 10" gear is going to fit. Ground clearance, measured from centerline of axles to bottom of the pumpkin (about 5.5") is roughly the same or slightly better than the HP D44.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is a thing of beauty! What does that housing weigh?

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Some more stuff has come in over the last couple days. My front polyurethane bump stops are already cracking and the rears need moved to relocate my exhaust so......

The Light Racing (now SPC) bumps are the ONLY air bumps that will fit where I need. I found them but couldn't justify the cost new. Luckily the next day I found a FB post with these for a screaming deal on a set. The seller got them with his truck in a box of "stuff", new never mounted. He probably could have asked 2x what I paid. Now I'm just waiting on the threaded upper mounts from Summit.

The KMC 3" bumps for the front just arrived after a bit of a back order.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Back to our regularly scheduled program (aka fix the damn shock mounts).

Patched the holes, bent some 3/16" plate brackets with my homemade break, and added some gussets and put the shocks into double shear. Left side is done, right side is 90% done, but ran out of wire.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice score on the bump stops, that was some great karma!

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Coming together!! Bump stops are sweet!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:33 am

Nice find! I will be following closely to see how you mount the front bump stops as its on my to so list.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next