[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Black Smoke Donkey
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Black Smoke Donkey 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Black Smoke Donkey
FYI, you're leaking red stuff. Sounds great, the turbo whistle is awesome.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

wtg! get the cab on.. one more day!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's so awesome! Thanks for texting it to me! Unfortunately my wife was just a total buzz kill when I watched it and got all excited about when I get to do my swap, she informed me that not another part is going into my bronco until I replace the a/c compressor that died in her car :( good thing I'm doing that next Wednesday :) plus I'm still working on Todd's resto

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So very jealous!!!!! I am excited for you!! Please save me a ride!!

Close your eyes and listen - sounds very similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcd9lkqf0Y

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Long day, I'll post progress tomorrow, but did take a couple of reference pics yesterday.

This should be enough pipe...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373609040.948956.jpg

This is close to the opening that the quarter doors will fill, 24" extension should equal a 22" opening.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373609130.035874.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can'y wait to see those doors come together. I love the idea!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The qtr doors are definitely going to challenge my weak auto body skills, I'll be seeking help to get them right.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Reworking the door frames & skins will be a trick. Wish I was closer and could tag a long. The rear doors will be suicide hinged?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep, suicide for the rears, need the support of the back half of the body so they don't sag.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good luck. You got the gears in my head turning about how I'd do it. Lots to think about with latches, hinges, and making sure the whole thing is secure and solid when the doors are closed.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Simple hiddin hinges.These work great.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Those look beefy, I'll have to check them out.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ready for the body to come back into the build scheme. The last couple of days I was able to fab up the exhaust using new and old pipe, I had to do some major muffler repair since the truck the motor came out of propped the driveshaft when the transmission froze while moving, it ripped the back flange and fitting off the muffler so I rebuilt it. I still need to try my hand at making a 90 degree bend for the exhaust to exit behind the tire, that'll have to wait until I refill my welding bottle. I've went through a large spool of wire and 2 medium bottles so far. I'm going to add a flex pipe into the exhaust about where the trans is to lessen the vibration transfer, then I'll finish wrapping the system and make the last two mounts to stabilize the muffler.

I also ran the fuel lines (mixed steel and rubber) back to the main tank, I'll plumb the aux when I get the body mounted. Reran the brake line with an extension for the rear brake and mounted a later model prop valve. Finally I reran the frame harness and added a factory correct extension using wires that I scavenged from Hockeydad's box 'o wires.

I'm picking up the body tomorrow from storage and cutting it in half, I'll take a bunch of pics of that process. Anyone that wants to join me for that is welcome to, likely early afternoon tomorrow.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Holy muffler, Batman! That thing should help on your quest for a quiet 4bt. Also, On Track keeps exhaust bends in stock, should have 3".

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The trouble with a 4BT is most of the noise isn't exhaust! But it is a great sound!

Anyway, for the exhaust, you considered buying one online and then modifying to make it work for you? Seems like a better use of time as opposed to making many cuts & welds on a straight piece to bend it together.

When I did my cat-delete on my PSD, I ordered a section of 4" SS from these guys. Really cool guys and price was right. Aluminized should be fairly cheap and you might even find someone local to take a drop piece and put a bend in it for you. Looks like 3"?

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/ ... StoreFront Looks like $12 for a 90* in 3".

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks awesome man!

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JD, you are right, but it doesn't hurt to have a quiet exhaust. Ever since we put a stock 2 into 1 system on Willem's I will always go quiet over loud.

Justin, thanks for the lead, I had forgot about on track, I went there a couple of years ago and got a few items for my engine.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It happened again today, progress.

A person with professional qualities and never quit drive showed up to help cut up a perfectly good tub. I won't name names as he wants to be protected and not get a bad rep, so only a well taken photo will be shown.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373849312.774301.jpg

Now that the innocent have been dealt with...

The tub was sectioned into three pieces.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373849392.480080.jpg

Put on the frame.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373849430.439074.jpg

And one of the splice pieces was test fit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373849475.074948.jpg

And I will forever be amazed that by measuring MULTIPLE times and using mock up pieces I set the motor in the perfect spot and won't be modifying the firewall!

Here was the one spot I was worried about, the exhaust pipe coming directly off the turbo. It previously stuck out over 8" and I knew from my measurements that I only had 3.5" in that space so I cut the piece down and changed the angle of the pipe to make it hug the exhaust flange and drop tight to the bell housing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373849605.266119.jpg

Next up is to add two new body mounts and finalize the qtr door section, once those are ready I'll weld it all in and start bolting all my stuff back into the interior.

It'll be on the road soon!

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Exciting! Looking good and can't wait.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Holy crap dude! You suck, I'm jealous lol

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad it took only a small shoe-horn to make it fit! We like that word "progress". Keep it up!

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Really close, another day I think and I'll have it tacked in.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Must be nice being a "pensioner"

All the free time in the garage to work on your projects that the rest of can only dream about.

Looks awesome bro

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

looking really good!

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What are your plans for lateral support on the strikers?? Me thinks I have an idea, will let you know in the morning

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That and I am sure you have an extra rad support laying around... I need it

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's really taking shape Kirk. Are you going to fun some sort of hard top or just get a custom soft top made?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Being a pensioner is fantastic, especially since I had one last pay check roll in and should be getting my 1st retirement check soon. After that my spending habits will change drastically, which is one of the reasons I'm in such a rush to get this thing back on the road.

I guess I should have expected someone to start keeping track of the parts that didn't appear to be reused... all the spares will appear in the for sale section as soon as I'm able to drive this beast.

I plan on running a diagonal brace from the top of the door striker section behind the front seats to the body mount that is there, I may add a couple of triangulation tabs as well for a little fore / aft stiffness.

It was one of those long days with very little movement today, not like yesterday's leaps and bounds. Spent the day cutting out rot from my old body's door area, and there was a lot of it in the hinge posts (aka front door posts), also fine tuned the fit of said posts into the rear fenders. The majority of my time was spent on the driver side qtr door opening, it fought me all day, unlike the passenger side which seemed to fall right into place. For now it is within 1/32" of being square, and that may be where it ends up finishing. I won't utter the words "good enough" since I tore into Willem when he said it during his build, but at this point I don't think I'm gaining anything significant since the tub was out 1/8" before it was cut it up.

Pics

Passenger side, fits like a glove.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374037472.975728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374037508.275810.jpg

Now that is a nice line up of the lower door jam.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374037588.141540.jpg

Reused the front floor body mount for this section, worked out perfectly and won't be using a body lift spacer here, it is almost spot on where I removed the old body mount that sat on top of the frame. I love how square these trucks are, they are begging to be modified, this is the second time I've had this happen and it was not intentional.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374037664.180758.jpg

Finally, I'm also moving the trans tunnel over on the qtr door section, it will be closely aligned with the original trans tunnel on the forward section, I needed to do this to clear my monster muffler.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374037900.387850.jpg

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next