[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Digger's '69 Build Thread
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Digger's '69 Build Thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Digger's '69 Build Thread
I ended the weekend by putting her face back on, hooking up the LED headlamps and turn signals. I found some LED turn lamps that were very low profile, which was needed to fit in front of the CAC.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wish I were closer to just come lend a hand and take notes.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You're welcome to stop by if you're in the area.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wiring the dash side harness was the last step to get the engine running. I pulled the whole thing apart and removed some redundant wiring that came with the Centech harness, like dual hazard circuits.

I also pulled apart the Cummins harness and shorten it quite a bit.

Then put things back together

I finally received all the t-fittings I needed to complete the cooling system air bleed lines

And made an adapter to connect the reservoir return to the lower radiator hose

Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tonight I finished the last electrical connections, assembled the intake, added fluids, dumped 5 gallons of diesel in the tank and pushed her outside...

I had to crank it quit a bit, even after priming the fuel lines, but the R2.8 popped right off on the 2nd try.

Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another quick video:

Initial impressions:
The R2.8 is really smooth for a diesel and not as loud as I expected. There was no noticeable diesel smell just standing around listening to it idle. I had to get my nose right to the tail pipe to really smell it.

Driving around the neighborhood, its a little sluggish off the line, but the boost comes on quick and then it really pulls hard, even at low rpm. Below 2000rpm, this engine pulls better than my 351W did. I will say the transmission adapter added a lot of rotating weight which doesn't help the engine get up to speed. Overall driving was pleasant. One surprise was chirping the rear tires by getting out of the gas quickly. I tried it a few times just to be sure, but in low gears, the engine pulls down fast, maybe due to the throttle body in the intake.

I need to button up a few things tomorrow and double check everything is tight and leak free, then I'll go for a longer drive.

Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Helluva impressive project

Congratulations!

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed May 05, 2021 2:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's sweet! Gonna make the cars and coffee at the outlets Saturday?

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Wed May 05, 2021 7:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, so cool.

Wed May 05, 2021 7:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Milestone, baaabbbyyyy! Congrats!

Wed May 05, 2021 8:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes!! Time for celebration!!!

How many pennies do I need to save to have you do this to my bronco?? LOL!!

Can't wait to see you enjoy this more!

I am sure the driving technique will take some getting used to! The engine braking effect might be kinda nice! Save those brakes!

Without a doubt, you have he highest quality install of this engine in a bronco, if not in ANY vehicle! I hope to see it in person someday!

Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

NICE !!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

HOT DAMN!!!!
I thought for sure you would run a straight pipe Fat Stack up through the floor right behind the passengers seat and let that puppy ROLL COAL!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL!!!
Amazing work and Congratulations!!

Wed May 05, 2021 12:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 05, 2021 5:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Incredible

Wed May 05, 2021 9:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet! Nice work! Thanks for including us in the journey.

Thu May 06, 2021 7:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great job, can’t wait to see it in person

Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ridiculously awesome!

Thu May 06, 2021 9:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I drove the Bronco to work on Friday. Nothing eventful, but fuel consumption is noticeably lower than the 351. Based on the 1/4 tank I've burned so far, I'm getting roughly twice the range, putting me in the mid-20s for mileage around town. I'll need to burn a few tanks to get a solid number, but it's encouraging so far.

Here is a video from one of my test drives.

Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats! It sure looks like it gets up and goes based on the video.

Sun May 09, 2021 5:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun May 09, 2021 8:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Those are some good MPG #'s, especially doorless.

Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A guy in California has 2 R2.8 powered rigs, a 60-series Land Cruiser and a lifted CJ-7.

The 60-series gets 22-26 mpg depending on driving style and 18 mpg towing a ~12ft enclosed trailer.

The CJ gets 25-28 mpg city, 22 mpg hwy amd he got 33 mpg holding a steady 55 mph.

My take is that the R2.8 is very capable of impressive numbers if you can minimize wind drag. A Chevy ZR2 with a 2.8 Duramax can pull 25-30 mpg with its better aerodynamics.

Mon May 10, 2021 10:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When you get some miles on it with & without your trailer I’d love to hear what kind of mileage you are getting based on weight & type of driving. It’s been a bit since I’ve tracked mine, but the best I ever got was 26 mpg town/freeway with no camper or trailer, and 20 mpg loaded for hunting all freeway (just under 10k lbs going to from Parker to Meeker)

Wed May 19, 2021 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 19, 2021 11:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got my first mileage read today.

23 mpg driving a mix of 75 mph interstate and stop-n-go commuter traffic.

Fri May 21, 2021 4:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As far as EGTs w/ boost & speed numbers I’m running about 800 EGT @ 16-18 psi while doing 70 mph on mostly level terrain w no trailer. When I pull Mtn passes empty I’m at 1000 EGT @ 20-22 psi to maintain 65-70 mph. Loaded for hunting / camping with trailer (9865 lbs) I try to keep it under 1100 EGT @ 24-26 psi to maintain 55-60 mph.

Your reported mpg is great!

Fri May 21, 2021 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16