[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - My 76' Work in Progress
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 My 76' Work in Progress 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post My 76' Work in Progress
OK, here's my project. It is bone stock 1976 U15 with factory original paint and no rust. It has a 302 CID engine coupled to a C4 trans, Dana 20 and 3:54 running gears. I bought this rig in June of 2003 on ebay sight unseen from a guy who was more con artist than mechanic. It was pretty bad cosmetically but I like ugly women. I replaced the dash pad, front seat covers, steering wheel, numerous weather stripping components and the spare tire (the old one blew out on the carrier due to sun rot). I am currently looking for a new hard top for it as there was a vent hood cut into the sheet metal just above the rear bench seat.
After I got it where my wife wouldn't throw things at me when she passed through the garage, I rebuilt the engine. This was necessary because the jackass I bought it from replaced bad bearings with without turning the crank or any further engine work. Well what do you know it spun the bearings again. The bore is now .030" over with flat pistons for higher compression. The only drawback is she now sips only the finest high octane. I do have a 95' Mustang 5.0 HO engine for it but I'll save it for later. I have spent a fortune on spare parts over the years that I'll probably never use but at least I have options for the future. You may see some of them for sale on this website from time to time.
FYI, I have owned six of these beautiful works of art over the years and have a true passion for them. I would prefer these over a new vehicle any day of the week. After I have my fun with this thing, I'll be restoring it for my grandson who is now three years old. I hope the passion is instilled in my DNA!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: My 76' Work in Progress
I like it. Thats what my 76 looked like when I bought it, only difference is mine was cut in the rear. I still remember the smell of the old girl when we she came home. Looks clean to me. I really like it. Keep the pics coming.

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

looks like a nice specimen...keep up the good work.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is a gorgeous Bronco and a great story. Ebay is definitely hit and miss but it looks like you were able to turn that project around. I love the old radio. Is that a Cassette deck under the dash? That is a clean Bronco - it even looks like original carpet. I agree that these older trucks are cooler than anything at a new car dealership. What a great truck.

Your Grandson is a lucky kid smokin

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Entourage, That is an old FM tuner under the dash. They (we) used them in old cars before FM radio was the thing to have. All you have to do is dial your AM to a certain channel and then you can tune in your favorite FM station.
Yes that is the original floor pad in the vehicle with just a few small tears. FYI, the parchment color was found in the sport models, explorers and rangers. The black was found in the balance of the models.

THANKS everyone for the feedback!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's nearly identical to my '74 when I bought it except I had a "little" more rust. Anyway great looking bronco. Maybe one day I'll get a stocker sunday cruiser again!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I decided to get off of my A$$ and get going on my EFI swap. On February 23, 2014 Gregg, Rox Crusher and Viperwolf1 came over, we pulled to old 302 out as well as the transmission and transfer case. The later two were impromptu as I was only going to pull the engine. Phil stayed a little later and used some C4 explosives on my C4 and tore it down to a large pile of small parts. He came back on March 3rd and showed me how to reassemble it (sure, just as much as a dog can watch TV and understand the show he's watching). Needless to say I now have an official "Viper Built Stealth" model C4. Why Stealth, well it is only one of two Phil never painted during a build.
Yesterday and today I spent pulling the old gas tank and cleaning things up. I tried to emulate Phil and tore down my Dana 20. I'll start cleaning things up and reassembling tomorrow.
I will hopefully have the D20 done before this weekend and the new fuel tank and lines run by the end of the weekend. I am shooting to have the project completed by the end of April.
I guess I shouldn't leave out EFIGuy who has been working on my harness and computer. He's very detailed oriented and has been a real pleasure to work with. Highly recommended if you are thinking of going EFI.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice! Good luck on the rest of the project.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post My 76' Work in Progress
A box full of Dana 20, Greek yogurt, sour cream, and petroleum jelly...

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like progress!

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe I'll put yogurt in my tranny to fix it

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hope you make your timeline! It'll be great to have it ready for the summatime!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is going to be such a beautiful sleeper when you are done !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:35 am

About time you started the swap.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wait, did you say April ?

Anybody worth their salt can do a body off refresh and EFI upgrade in 3 days or so.

Maybe that's terribly optimistic (naive) of me though

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Done yet? Moab is coming up quick.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not even close! Work thinks I should be there every day. I hope to drop the drive train back in and have it running next weekend.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome. It's about time you quit belly aching about "some vacuum leak" you got going under the hood.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well it's 1:25 AM and I just got home from work. Supposed to start on the engine install at 8 AM.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just drink coffee. Forget about sleep.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Whooo hoooo

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah I know, you find sympathy in the dictionary between $hit ans syphillis.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Take and post lots of pics. Going to be a great build with the dream team back together.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Where's the pics?

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well a quick update, the engine, transmission and transfer case are back in thanks to the hard work of Rox Crusher, Gregg, my neighbor Robert, Landshark and Viperwolf1. I have to give a special thanks to Gregg for making the new engine a beautiful work of art and Viperwolf1 for ensuring the transmission and transfer case are in perfect working order. We are still working out the minor issues of such a project but it should be roaring to life by no later than next Saturday. I'll post some pix tomorrow.

Last edited by Moab Mike on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's a pic of me breaking it in...paybacks....

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

"It's only Mike's Bronco!"

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Funny he was turned around before that picture was taken!

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next