[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Trailer for the Bronco?'s
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Trailer for the Bronco?'s 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Trailer for the Bronco?'s
I'm doing some trailer shopping for dragging the Bronco's around and have some questions for guys who have them. First,is 18' a good length or will 16' work? What weight do I need? 7000 pounders are cheaper but I'm thinking they may not be heavy duty enough for a Bronco and trail/camping gear etc.. Finally, where have you purchased your trailer? I'm open to new and used. I looked at a couple places up here in the greeley area and prices seem competative with one another locally.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Trailer for the Bronco?'s
My 16 footer does everything I need it to perfectly. 14 would be nice and convenient though! With my 16 footer I have the chance of hauling my truck should I ever need to. That thought is always in the back of my mind when I tow the bronco somewhere. I was able to use it for my uncles '63 F-250 too. More length is typically more useable if you don't mind hauling the extra size and have room to store it.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Storage won't be a problem for me because all of my mom's side of the family are farmers or retired farmer with land. I even have an uncle that has an outside storage facility that I can use for free. It's 15 miles from home but I don't see that as a huge problem considering how often it would be used. I guess it boils down to price. It sounds like two 3,500lb axles is enough to do the job. My 07 Expedition will be doing the towing and will need to set up for trailer brakes. What's that going to set me back? Also what should I expect to pay for 14-18' unit?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would say to go with an 18ft trailer it does give you more options. I have one with 2 3500lb axles and brakes on one axle. The controller is pretty simple as the expedition it should be plug and play with good controllers found for 65 to 125$. I went with a controller that had a digital display so I could change it for different loads with little trial and error each time as I haul the same thing most of the thime. If you buy a used trailer make sure the deck is in good condition and the bearings are not shot. Look around on craigslist as they are abundant. I got my trailer out of Texas for $1200, but they are more expensive here. JP

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The digital display is the way to go with a Brake Controller.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I run a 16ft and it seems to work great. I do wish I had heavier axles under it tho. the dual 3500 axles do the job, but when loaded down for camping or whatever, I know I am right at that limit. Brakes on both axles is required in CO IIRC. It sounds like you already know, but make sure you subtract the weight of the trailer from the axle capacity to get your hauling capacity.

I love my prodigy controller and they should make a pigtail that makes install plug-n-play. I think it's the highest recommended controller I have seen.

Craigslist is a good source, just hold out for the right trailer and don't buy someone else's junk. There is too many home-brews out there that should be in the scrap pile, not headed down the highway.

Oh and you might look into a tranny cooler for the expy! and NEVER tow in OD, especially in a half-ton rig.

J.D.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]