[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Tow rig decisions
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Tow rig decisions 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Tow rig decisions
Well it looks like we're going to try to get to Germany for our next assignment (summer 2012). I am trying to start planning now on what I should do with all my vehicles. I am still undecided on my 2002 F-350. I bought it new in '03 and it's been a great truck. I try to take very good care of it. Run the best synthetic oils etc...

But it's becoming too small for my family and we're thinking of adding a second child in the future, so we need to figure out something. That and it will sit for the 3-4 years we are overseas. Well, I could have my dad take care of it, but still would have to address the storage issues. I don't want to leave it exposed for that amount of time...

So I was told that AAFES has a program for people serving overseas to get significant deals on new vehicles. So I am trying to decide whether to sell my truck before we PCS or not and part of that depends on how good the deal is on a new F-350. Well, they won't give you a quote until you are actually overseas. That is too late for me. So has anyone ever done this and is it a darn good deal? The website simply says price will be below MSRP. My plan would be to buy shortly before our return so it's ready for when we come back. I realize the prices could change, but it would at least give me a ball-park figure. My only reservation on the new truck is no availability for a manual tranny. I just hate to see my beloved truck go...

J.D.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Tow rig decisions

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Trading in is a last resort for me as well. Especially since she's paid for.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got a buddy who just bought on '11 F250 through AAFES, in Germany. I will try and get in touch with him to see what he paid. IIRC, the AAFES plan pretty much is nothing more than the standard Ford X-plan. Don't quote me on that though.

On the subject of new car purchases, one thing a lot of buyers do not realize is that dealerships "lease/rent" those vehicles from the manufacturer, paying a monthly price for having that truck on their lot. Dealerships simply do not possess enough capital to keep that kind of stock on their lots without this agreement. If you find a truck you like on a lot, keep your eyes on it to see how long it sits there. Anything sitting on the lot for longer than 30 days starts to cut in to the dealer's "hold back", or the margin of profit between what the manufacturer wants for the truck and what the dealership is selling it for. Typically, your rebates offered at local dealerships are percentages of this hold back and a indication of the dealership's desire to get that vehicle off the lot. Determining what the hold back is can net you some significant negotiation room when it comes to buying.

J.D., on your current truck, you might want to think about taking it. In the past, the German Forestry Service has sought out "mid-size" diesel trucks for use in their departments. There simply are no comparative models available on the economy over there. Unimogs are pretty much the standard for large trucks and Toyota Hilux/comparatives are the standard for small trucks. From what I have heard, the GFS purchase prices on 3/4 ton and similar trucks has been quite flattering.

Where are you headed to over there?

Edit: Just got off the phone with one of my new guys, fresh off the boat from Germany. He bought a '10 Mustang GT, sticker price of 41k, and drove it off for 29k. Two things he mentioned worth considering. Unless you are going to order through the factory/AAFES, you are at the mercy of whatever is on the lot. Order times from the factory can take as long as 6 months. Second, driving down German streets in a big ass F250 can be a pain, but very fun once you hit the autobahn.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Would appreciate any additional info. If only X-plan prices, then I would simply keep my current truck (unless I could make a lot of money on it by selling in Germany).

I see what you're saying about a truck sitting on the lot for that long. I'd have to see if what they have on the lot is what I want. Have to be picky when spending that much!! I really hate dealing with them tho...

You have any additional info on German Forest Service. I didn't find anything with a quick search. Might be worth contacting them now.

Ramstein.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I appreciate you seeing what you can do thru your contacts.

However, as stated originally, I would not plan to buy a new truck until shortly before we return. I may be buying some sort of used diesel sedan over there for my main mode of transportation, if it seems cost effective.

J.D.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ah. I missed that part about you buying just before coming back. Doh!

You'd be surprised what kind of deals you can score over there as far as used cars go. I have a buddy driving a mid-00's 911 right now.

The Terrible One

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's what I hear. Trying to decide what to do with my wife's LR3 too. May take it over there and sell it privately. Based on some of the research I have found, they are selling pretty high compared to here. Enough to pay off the note and turn around a buy a descent car without getting a new loan. I have also been pricing new LR4's thru a military program and it seems worth while to maybe get one of those before we return as well.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It pains me to think about it, but it looks like I am going to be selling my truck. . Just seems to make the most sense and gamble on being able to afford to replace it when we return. I'll just have to protect the money I get out of this truck and preserve it for the next. Any investor folks know of a way to help that money grow, at least at the rate of inflation? LOL! (half joking and half serious question)

Anyway, I have not looked at what I am going to list it for because I need to pull all the specs together. I know that I will likely need the truck up until the last week before we head overseas, so it could be a little difficult, but I am hoping I can work that out somehow. I also don't have a date when we are leaving, but believe it to be sometime in July. Just in case anyone knows of someone needing a truck next summer... I'll be posting a formal For Sale Ad.

Thanks for the input guys!

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]