[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Heater Venting
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Heater Venting 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Heater Venting
Dan....can you call me? Keith is here and we have a venting question....

Last edited by airbur on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Zillacon....Question...
Thanks! Question answered.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Eric should be building the stroker in a tank top now! guzzlin' Corona's by the pool!!! It's gettin warm in there

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep! Went to Ace and picked up a pack of 3a fuses. Keith blew one...how...I don't know. beer

Swapped in the new fuse and we're up and running! Keith...the blower stays on for 3-5 min after the heater shuts off to blow off the heat from the exchangers....so it's working correctly:)

It's quiet as hell to....heated up the garage a good 10+ degrees with the garage door open!

Thanks again!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Heater Venting
PlumbDoctor at his best:)

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thats only when we're bent over!!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I need to seal up the vent connections and I thought of using aluminum tape....but is there something else that will work? This vent is going to get HOT...and the sticky side of the tape will probably melt. What else can I use? Is there a high-temp silicone I can use? Also, can I use the same thing to seal the area where the vent goes through the wall?

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81409-Hi ... 561&sr=8-3

Thanks.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Look for Rutland High Temp caulks,

I used the clear stuff on flashings:
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo/500- ... clear.html

Does the vent manufacturer require or recommend sealant? What kind of vent is it? Typical B-vent? If it twist locks or doesn't call for sealant, I wouldn't use any.

I did find this stuff, I never saw it when I was installing fireplaces:
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo/seal-it-right.html

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Honestly there is no reason you couldn't use any hi temp RTV.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's what I want to seal...

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hi temp silicone at the wall penetration & at the pipe to collar. I'd get the clear stuff I listed above & put it on the outside of the house too, prevent water from getting inside.

Silver tape is fine on the pipe/pipe connection. RTV would work, but make disassembly in the future more difficult.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So the tape adhesive won't get all gooey under 400f+?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Its made for sealing up B-vent, it gets hot & sticks like hell. I've got it on my boiler vent, single wall, and it will never come off, trust me.

I don't think you even need to seal the b-vent joint, unless the heater or chimney manufacturer calls for it. The seal for the exhaust gas is made on the inner layer of chimney, not the outer. The thin air gap between the inner & outer walls is just for insulation, allowing closer clearance to combustibles than singlewall. It also keeps the exhaust gasses hot, which is important on hi-efficiency appliances. On a forced exhaust appliance, the rules may be different, is your exhaust fan driven?

I ran a bunch of 6" b-vent when I relocated my boiler & water heater & only used tape on the single wall, that connects to the double wall chimney. Your furnace may not even be using singlewall. I screwed my double wall together, but didn't use tape. If you want to be sure, the brand of chimney you are using will have a very detailed installation guide available on-line, it will tell you exactly what to do to build a UL listed chimney.

Simpson Dura-vent & Metalbestos / Selkirk are common brands of b-vent.

Chad

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found the clear Rutland silicone at Ace (fireplace section) and used it as you suggested. Also used the aluminum tape I had around the pipe/pipe connection. Thanks!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds good, I'm jealous, my garage is about 20* right now, and dropping. It will hover about 10* once winter has really set in. Now that I work at the bodyshop I don't need heat, since I can work in that shop. But, if I ever leave, a garage heater like yours will be top priority.

Ironically, while I was answering your venting questions, I spent Saturday morning flushing my boiler system & installing 2 new hydronic pumps. My house was about 45* when the heat was kicked back on in the afternoon. Why doesn't the heat ever break during the summer?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]