[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Stereo junkies?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Stereo junkies? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Stereo junkies?
Looking for one of those crazy smart stereo junkies who can give me some advice.

I'd like to put a new stereo into the wife's 4Runner for Xmas. I've been looking at the Kenwood DNX series units and I really like everything about them, except the price. Pioneers are much more affordable but all of the reviews concerning their nav systems say it is junk. Any alternatives I need to be looking at?

Minimum requirements:
nav system built in
iPhone controls (handsfree calling minimum)
back up camera (to be pirated into a front facing, back seat mounted baby monitor)

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Stereo junkies?
What year 4Runner? I have a 2004 Sport and installed the DNX7100 when it was current. I love it and just added AUX for iPhone. The new version probably already has it.

Go with Kenwood. The GPS is all Garmin.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I installed a Pioneer Premiere 2 years ago in my wife's SUV. Great iPod Interphase with audio and video and album artwork. Nav works great but I likely need to upgrade to the new maps, but we mostly use our phones. I modded it so I can watch movies and nav while driving. I am a Kenwood guy, but the Pioneers were the best a few years ago. Love the backup camera - made hooking up the boat a breeze. Blue Tooth is hopefully improved as that is my only disappointment. I bought mine from Crutchfield, JIC I wasn't satisfied, I could return it and get another unit. Any unit you get will be such a HUGE improvement in screen size, features, sound quality, inputs, etc. I bought an adapter so the steering wheel controls work with the new unit.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 am

Im gonna go with a pioneer p4300dvd in my truck. I dont need nav as I have 2 gps' and my phone.

Check out

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm probably going to go this route for my truck:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 4294946867

I don't use CDs, and the heavy bouncing is likely to make it skip anyway. Seems like a good way to keep the ipod/phone protected.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's the link to the writeup...I first installed just the DNX7100 and hooked it into the JBL system. It worked, but didn't take advantage of what the 7100 could offer. I then built a new system to support it.

One thing that is cool is I was able to use the PAC converter to hook it up to the 4Runner's steering wheel controls.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/audio-ele ... ystem.html

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can second Crutchfield. Amazing how easy their install kits are if you're not used to that sort of thing! Plus their customer service is great. In fact, jump on a chat with a rep and get their opinion.

I have had better luck with Kenwood as a brand over pioneer, but don't have experience for the level of equipment you are dealing with.

IIRC - I saw a write-up of someone installing a Kenwood Nav system into their LR3. I think there were built-in switches and the guy used those to control auxiliary lighting and what not? Sounds like a feature in the unit you are looking at?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hate to be the one to go against Crutchfield...but you pay through the nose (arm, leg, unmentionable parts) for their customer service. As an example....Kenwood DNX7180 at Crutchfield $1150. Same system at SonicElectonix is $829.00. Thats a $320 difference!!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX7180 ... search=dnx
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_334 ... X7180.html

I bought most of my parts from Sonic and their customer service is great. They have very similar installation packages (although at the time there were none available from any dealer for the 4Runner and this unit).

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow. That's quite a difference. I'd price shop as well. For the stereo I ordered for the Superduty, they were running a heck of a deal for a head unit and 4 infinity speakers, so I guess it all depends on what you are looking for...

J.D.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More to follow on this, but for now...
I went with the Kenwood DNX6960. It's an Excelon unit (2year warranty versus 1) and has an external volume control knob.

I bought the unit from Crutchfield, with all the accessories.

Big selling point on the Kenwood was the Nav system. Kenwood uses the Garmin system. The wife currently has a Garmin nuvi.

I went with Crutchfield mostly due to the hundreds of reviews I read concerning their lifetime tech support. Price point was not that much more than Sonic and the entire system will be here Thursday.

The Terrible One

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The DNX6960 was discontinued a while ago.....are you sure that's the right model #?

Also, while you can use the BlueTooth and the iPhone with that unit, you cannot directly connect an iPhone to play music without the AUX cable.

Otherwise it's a great unit.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Water had just broke when I posted that.

The Terrible One

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Holy cow! Congrats??!!

Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]