[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Tell us your lame suburban "wheeling" stories!:)
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Tell us your lame suburban "wheeling" stories!:) 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Tell us your lame suburban "wheeling" stories!:)
I've been wanting to start this thread for a while. Been meaning to prop the Bronco up on the "big" pile of snow in our cul de sac but I'm afraid it will die on me bangtard I'll update the post once Viper helps get me rollin again. So lets see/hear your suburban "off-roading" adventures:)

Last edited by airbur on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Show us your lame suburban "wheeling" pics!:)
These are the best pics I have. I do however have a good story about snowdrift parking. When I was in high school there was a big snow storm and in the gym parking lot there was a 3-4 foot drift that had iced over in one of the parking spots. Of course I parked the front end up on top of it. When I came back out from the gym some idiot thought it would be funny to block me in thinking they had me stuck. My brother was ready to go have it announced over the speaker that such and such licence plate needed to move their car. With a grin on my face I said watch this!!! I locking in the hubs and threw it in four low. With a little gas I was up and over it. My bro was amazed!!!! To this day I wish I could have seen the look on the persons face who blocked me in.

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You went up and over the car???

Wait, just read it again.....up and over the snow drift.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah up and over the snow drift. It was solid ice, like going up and over a boulder. haha, I was so proud of the bronco.

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Lurker here... : )

Had a buddy park on an icy snow pile while at work at a big grocery store... it warmed up enough during his 8 hr shift to allow his rig to sink up to the axles... : ( He had to get towed off!! dang funny! (for us anyway)

Nice pic of all those Broncos!

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:07 pm
CCB Admin

Some pics have been deleted. Even though the pics may have been legal its doesn't support our Efforts with Tread lightly or how the community percieives us as a club.
Remember when posting pics that this is an open area for the Greenies/Enviromentalists to see and take pics and use them as they please.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dang Enviromentalist!

Nvrstuk - same thing happened to me in High School. I parked on a big snow pile at the back of the parking lot in my mighty Nissan 4X4 and at the end of the day I was stuck as hell. Its all fun and games until you need a tow - in a parking lot :)

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ok, a bit off topic but here goes

our highschool used to be considered the "rich kids school" but all of a sudden a new development sprang up across the river and all the rich folks moved over their so our rival school was where all the rich kids went.............

So some of us 4 wheeling rednecks would park our overly lifted and totally unsafe rigs in the pond at the bottom of the hill on the road that lead up to their week-end keggers. We would sit on our tailgates and offer beers to anybody who could make it out to get one. They would always get stuck (less lift equals water soaked distributors) about 10 - 15 feet from us and man would they get pissed when we started busting a gut.

Eventually we would pull them out.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Tell us your lame suburban "wheeling" stories!:)
Ok...so I changed the title to this thread....pics are still welcome though!

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Since we're sorta telling stories here and staying away from the pics, I've got one from High School. We had an area outside of town called The Pits. Basically a gravel pit. People could go out there to hot rod their rigs, donuts, mud-bog, whatever. A good friend of mine was admiring my new snow tires on my '83 Merc Capri RS. There were large square lugs about 3/4" deep. I said I needed to test them out, so out to the pits we went. He took his mid-80's bronco 4WD and I in my car. After some donuts we decided to climb a hill. He made his attempt and made it a long ways. Figuring it was a safe bet, he said he'd buy me dinner if I could beat his mark up the hill. This car had a posi-rear end and a 302 V8 holley 4brl so she'd run. I pulled up to his starting line and dropped the clutch, up the hill I went and beat his mark by three or four car lengths. Victory sure tastes good!!

That was my first car, and I sure miss it! Bought it for $1000 with a fresh paint job on it and that car would fly. Not bad off the line, but would pull 140mph fairly easily! And if you drove it nice, like your mom was in the passenger seat, you could get 28mpg! Saw one very similar in town the other day.

This is about what it looked like, but was all black below the trim, and didn't have the nicer ground effects:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Growing up in Amarillo, TX, we didn't really know what to do with ourselves when we got more than 1" of snow. One college winter break, a 'storm' hit and left about a foot of snow. The local community college had the parking plowed and left huge 'drifts' between light poles. My buddy thought he was cool in his '75 CJ5 (I might have goaded him a little from the passenger seat) and tried to drive over a drift, got halfway, high centered, and then sunk about a foot. We literally had to dig ourselves out before we could dig the jeep out. A fun 7pm quick trip turned into a burning the midnight oil after it was all said and done. Ah, memories.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

These are GREAT stories!

When I had my first Bronco I was 17. Each time I was able to scrounge enough $ together to buy a part I would work on it all night long until I got them installed. My house had a very short driveway...we're talking about 6' and there wasn't room to work on the Bronco in the Garage. So I "acquired" some of those orange street construction markers and placed them around the back end of the Bronco since it stuck so far out into the street.

I also didn't have a jack that was very tall...I think it was for a passenger car so I would put a bunch of 2x4s stacked on top of each other on the jack before I raised it up. To this day I can't believe I'm still alive after working under that thing with the wobbly stack of wood holding it up.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

About 12 years ago, I drove an 85 Volvo 740GLE, turbo, rear wheel drive, sedan about 1/2 way up Engineer Pass (from Lake City) to go early season backcountry snowboarding at a place called Hurricane Basin. The road was snowy and muddy, but the car weighed 4200 lbs and performed well. The kicker, the car was a loaner from a coworker, because my Bronco had become a bigger project than I ever expected & I didn't have a reliable vehicle. I did buy it a week later.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pretty sure there is a sign at each of those passes stating "You don't have to be crazy to drive this road, but it helps". C.W. McCall anyone?

My folks and my inlaws met there on Labor day weekend 2010. That was my first time on some of those passes and they were fun!

J.D.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It was my first time up Engineer, so I just took my friend's word, that I could make it. I questioned my decision a couple times, but the snow was worth the drive.

I have an old page from a ski calender that shows an exit point from a resort to backcountry that says "Going beyond this point may result in death and/or loss of skiing privileges!", still hangs on my wall.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

But you weren't skiing, you were "riding" right?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JD, I grew up skiing, and I still interchange the word skiing with snowboarding, something I can't stop. CB is the home of the rebirth of telemarking, too. So I've ridden with some of the best athletes on snow, for almost 20 years. I actually like riding with skiiers, they are a bit faster than your average snowboarder, so it tends to push me a little more. No haters here. I just took a vaca day yesterday and rode with a 22 year old skiier who was on the Mary Jane bump/freestyle team, he said it was awesome to get his ass kicked by a couple nearly 40 year old snowboarders.

I don't care what you ride, just try to keep up!

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

On the bottom of the ski sign poster, years ago I hung a quote from Mario Andretti, because it reminded me of how I RIDE:

"If everything seems under control, you are going too slow"

Still love it.

Last edited by Gunnibronco on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What is skiing? ;)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]