[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - What is it worth?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 What is it worth? 

Post What is it worth?
I have been mulling over buying a project off a guy here in Wyoming. I stopped by a few weeks ago to look at it, made an offer, negotiated, made a second offer and shook hands. I wasn't able to pick it up for over a week. During the wait I thought more and more about offering too much and getting in over my head on a project that I would never finish. I called the owner back and told him that I needed to think it over for a week. This was last Monday and I am still thinking about it a lot. Mostly thinking about how awesome the project is and how stupid I am for not picking it up two weeks ago and not already got it closer to street worthy again.

The project is a 1972 U15 that is about 35-40% complete. I am have always wanted an EB, but my knowledge is pretty limited, but here is what I know from my visit:

Frame is 95% complete:
-Stripped/rust removed/painted black
-Wild horses 3.5" system 10 lift
-rebuilt 1978 351 windsor
-rebuilt C4
-Dana 20 not rebuilt but parts are there for an overhaul
-NOS C4/Dana 20 adapter
-Dana 44 front with new bearings and seals. Stock carrier with unknown gear ratio. Truck disk brakes off 1978 F250.
-9" gone through with stock carrier and ring and pinion
-Drivelines are there but probably need cut down?
-Power steering box and pump. Didn't pay enough attention to brand. Factory unit maybe?
-33X12.50X15 Dick Cepek Radial F-C II. Not brand new but not many miles
-Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels 15X10 I'm guessing
-Brake lines about 50% complete
-Fuel tanks were scrapped

The rest of the bronco is in various locations across his property. Tub and top are in the driveway and have sat in the same spot fir 4 years. Both are elevated off the concrete on pallets. Top looks to be in great condition. Tub has rust on rockers, floor pans and inner fenders. 'Drivers side rocker is ok, passenger side is nearly gone. Floors are pretty solid but I would replace them. Doors, tailgate, liftgate, fenders all look great. They have been stored indoors. Comes with all the remaining factory parts, bucket full of bagged parts, radiator, etc. Forgot to mention that both the front and rear are UNCUT. Body also has factory paint in pretty good shape. I would ideally figure a way to make it a LUBER. Might require different wheel/tire combo?

I didn't get any pictures since it was 25 degrees and windy but what would you be willing to give for something like this? It needs a lot but it seems like quite a bit is there. If I forgot anything, ask me about it. All I have been thinking about the last two weeks is how I would finish the project so my mind is pretty fresh.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post What is it worth?
Sounds like a good project. Realize though there is still a TON of work/fab to do and parts to buy before its anywhere near road worthy. Also, consider you may need to redo some of what has already been done. If you are up for all that, then go for it.

As far as price, pictures would really help. Off the hip I'm thinking maybe $3000 but that is a very rough estimate and based on little information.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: What is it worth?
That is weird that it was windy in Wyoming :). Sounds like a great project. Most of the expensive and important parts are already complete. The frame being ready makes this project exciting because you can get started on putting it back together - motor, trans, TC, drivelines, axles, etc. and get the rolling chassis complete. The lift is another big positive as that is an expensive part of the build. Then you can start working on the body. Sounds like you have a good relationship with the guy and I see that as a positive too - I am sure he is excited to see it goto a good home and wants it back on the road. I would try to get EVERYTHING you can from him up front. Getting the box of parts can save you a ton of money later - the little things add up quick.

The body sounds mostly positive. If you are building a LUBER then this is another positive for this project - adding new rear quarter is challenging and time consuming, but if I did it - anyone can do it. Replacing the floors and rockers are something most projects require. It having solid doors, gate, fenders, etc. puts you miles ahead of the game. The rims and tires have value in the club or on CL and you can likely find the correct size combo on here or CL for a LUBER.

It will cost ya more than you expect to complete the job but if the big stuff is done, you get most of the small parts, get the parts ya need on this site, and get a good deal on it, then it sounds pretty sweet. However, if you are having reservations about getting over your head, I would explain that to the seller and see if he can come down $500.00 to help ya feel better about the deal - he will likely understand your apprehension. You can let the price decide if you buy it or not. If he comes down, buy it. If he doesn't come down on price, don't buy it. Another project will come around. It is dang hard to sell a non-running project in pieces and buckets, plus, there is nothing to loose by negotiating. I would say $2,500-$3,000 is a good guess without seeing pics.

I am excited for ya and excited to see how the story ends.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I should have clarified a little. When I said frame is 95% complete, I should have said rolling chassis. Also, it was/is a father son project. The son is going off to college and the dad is a 35 year mechanic at the power plant in Wheatland. He is extremely particular and did a pretty nice job with whats done. He paid $2000 for the 72 with no engine or transmission and believes he has about $6000 in parts but has no receipts. I looked up some of the parts and figured he is probably pretty close. I agree that selling a half finished project is not easy not will you get close to what you have any it. Based on the opinions so far, I think I was over paying. However, I think about what an uncut running unit would cost + the lift + engine work + all new parts I would be money ahead with the project however unrunning money pit projects stopping be fun in a hurry.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm no expert (even though apparently I work at wild horses) but it looks like you have just about everything to put it back together. It would take lots of time but it seems lots of the more expensive parts are bought and paid for. Biggest hurdles besides getting back together would be rust removal and body replacement.

I will venture to guess it would be worth around $4500 - $5000 if everything is in decent shape. Rolling chassis helps. Easy to get the body back on and get moving on it :)

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Get back out there an take some pics man!! :burnout:

This looks like it could be a good deal with only some rust to deal with....

http://wyoming.craigslist.org/cto/2860188849.html

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd probably be willing to pay in the $4500-$5k range as well if things are in good shape. Condition of the body would be the main thing I'd be looking at, sounds like most of the mechanicals are either easy or already done. Send your t-case and kit to Viper, he'll take good care of it. You'll have a ton of work ahead of you, but it sounds like most of the expensive stuff is bought.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]