[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - "Slotted" Brake Drums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 "Slotted" Brake Drums 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post "Slotted" Brake Drums
So I was overhauling the front brakes (drum) on my 75 Bronco and I was surprised to see that the passenger side brake drum is grooved on the inside so that the brake shoes on that side end up having 1/4" inch grooves cut into them. It is only on that side. Is that normal?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:57 pm
Post Re: "Slotted" Brake Drums
No. Might be time for new drums or even a disk conversion.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It is very odd. The drum seems to have been machined that way -- I wonder what would have made these two grooves develoip as they have. Yeah, I wish I could do the full up disc conversion right now, but I think I just need to get it on the road for a while!

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:05 pm
It's easy for them to machine themselves. Wear the shoes down to the rivets and you'll eventually get some grooves.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What Viper said - more than likely someone let the shoes go to long at some point, the rivets wore the grooves into the drum, and they should have replaced the drum. Now you need to, as well as the shoes.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had a drum on a 79 F250 "machine" itself into 2 pieces from a shoe that was improperly installed. I always wondered what the ringing noise from the rear end was. Finding out was very exciting!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm doing the front disc conversion So, I have all the front drum stuff if you need it.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well that is great, thanks! Sounds like something was installed incorrectly on the passenger side front, so I may just be able to use your drums! Thanks.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

PM sent

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just think of those grooves as more surface area for the brakes to get a grip of. LOL

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Disc conversion

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think it is too late for the disc conversion -- before I took off the drums I bought all of the other rebuild parts! CRUD!

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]