[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Cottonwood Pass on a Big Bike? Added Spot
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Cottonwood Pass on a Big Bike? Added Spot 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Cottonwood Pass on a Big Bike? Added Spot
Here's my SPOT page http://tinyurl.com/ClaysFindMeSpot

I'm doing a solo ride for about 4 days starting this weekend.

One of the things I'm considering doing is coming back through Gunnison and Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista.

http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/cottonwood_pass.htm

That's 13 miles of dirt and gravel up the West side. Can anyone tell me if that's a stupid idea? I don't ride much dirt on my 1300cc 650lb bike, but I have ridden some. Mostly Deckers to Sprucewood.

I plan on taking it slow and easy, and doing it early in the day so I won't feel rushed and won't have thunderstorms to avoid.

For any who care, here's my current route.

Friday afternoon, 115 South to 50, then West to Gunnison for the night

Saturday 50 West past Blue Mesa Reservoir, then North on Hwy 92 to Hotchkiss, North on Hwy 65 over the Grand Mesa to Grand Junction for the night.

Sunday Hwy 141 South to Naturita (my hometown), Hwy 90 East pas LaSal into Utah, Hwy 191 South to Blanding for the night.

Monday Wander the Navajo Reservation East towards Cortez, then either of 3 roads, Telluride 145, Durango 550, or Lake City 149 back to Gunnison for the night.

Tuesday Cottonwood pass and maybe a jaunt up Independence pass on my way home.

I've always wanted to ride 92, 65, and 141 but they never seemed to fit in with travel plans. This trip is designed around them, and now I'm thinking of adding Cottonwood pass as well.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Cottonwood Pass on a Big Bike?
that road is pretty good even though its packed dirt, not sure when the ride the rockies is or whatever that bike race is called but they usually pack and oil/water down the road so thats its in good condition for the race so you should be ok. On the weekend there can be allot of trailers and rv's on that road but its wide enough in most places. Maybe someone who rides motorcycles can chime in but i would ride it if i had a road bike.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ride the Rockies was in June, so it's whatever has happened to the road since then.

Here's someone's youtube video just weeks ago. Looks pretty good. I'll be riding up the dirt side rather than down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROc2a4qp ... re=related

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

They are going over Cottonwood from Gunnison to Aspen (Stage 3). Even without the extra attention they give it for the cyclists, you could normally make it (weather dependent).

What I don't know, is the status of the road from Almont to Taylor reservoir. It has been torn up all summer for a major road construction project. I have not made the drive this summer, but have heard it is a real mess. It would be doable on a motorcycle, but on a racing road bike, I don't know. I hope the road is done by the time the race happens. I wonder though. That would be a disaster to reroute the race, or cancel the stage.

FYI, Monarch pass/HWY 50 is a great drive/ride too, especially if you haven't done it before.

Call or PM me if you have the time, we can meet up for a drink, or just a handshake. I live in downtown Gunni. My number is listed in the members section.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The USA Procycle Challenge is going over Cottonwood. Taylor Canyon road is not going to be ready for the race, but will be "well maintained".

An alternative to Monarch would be to turn off Hwy 50 about 10 miles east of Gunnison, take 114 to Sagauche. Cochetope canyon is one of my favorite drives. Very tight twisty road for about 20 miles, then opens up into a huge valley. You can really air it out after the canyon. At Sagauche, take 285 back up to Salida. It is how we get around Monarch pass if it closes in the winter.

Garlic Mikes is great, somewhat upscale Italian (not a pizza joint)
Marios & PieZans (NY style) are good pizza joints
Gunnison Brewery, Gunnisack, and Old Miner Steakhouse all are right in downtown, and have good menus. Being a tourist town, most the restaurants are good.
For breakfast W Cafe - biscuits & gravy type place - lots of locals go there

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ah there you go. Didn't look hard enough on the route but gunni got you covered ;)

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not sure if I want to greatly increase my dirt riding though. Maybe I'll go over Monarch (gotta stop and get some fudge at the top if I do), then ride up to Buena Vista and ride to the top of Cottonwood and back down.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear, 114 & 285 are not dirt. They are paved, fun, beautiful drive.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]