[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - new Build ideas
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 new Build ideas 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post new Build ideas
Ok everyone need input, thoughts, ideas, concerns ect. For my fiberglass bronco im thinking of doing a pretty cool build. but have questions and also wanted feedback from everyone. the motor i want to do a 347 stroker, with 87-93 fuel injection conversion. that im pretty set on but everyone please feel free to comment. i want an automatic tranny with a overdrive. im going to run 37s and running 4.88 gears. Want to be able to drive on the highway and not worry about my motor running at 3200 rpms for hours. was thinking 4r70 over the aod, but open to all, typically have run manuals in all my vehicles. another question, going to run soft doors or no door, or even build some customs. who has best door inserts? Do i need the two piece or one piece? have the besttop supertop which i will run year round. now i was thinking of build 4 link front and rear? have never done but have to buddys who have built competition crawlers, whats all your thoughts on that. i want to be able to do extreme trails with this rig but also drive. has a brand new wildhorses suspension so was throwing around the thought of adding spring rockers and pan hard back in rear and doing some radius arm work? thanks everyone for the help, im trying to get organized and a game plan before i dive into the build. please feel free to speak your mind and tell my your thoughts.

Ryan AKA Palmer72bronco

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: new Build ideas
Any plans for cruise control?

Any particular reason for the 347 over a 351W? Just curious.

How finicky are you about staying warm or dry? If you've got a good heater and aren't afraid of a little moisture, how about a half door hybrid? Maybe some tube doors that fit in with the inserts and have a fiberglass skin you can keep stored in the back and snap on in a few minutes. Not that anything like that exists, but I have concept in mind.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2 on the 351W, Airbur linked to a great article on why the 351W is a better choice than any 302 based block. Changed my mind.
http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/pag ... prd104.htm

4.88s may be too high a gear. You'll be spinning at 2000 rpm, at highway speed, with an OD trans. 5.13s will put you around 2100. I guess depending on which motor & how its built, it might be ok. But you'll want to match your highway rpms with your powerband.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Coincidence that the two guys asking about 351W versus 347 already have Lightning lower intake manifolds? LOL

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd still go 351W even if I didn't find my Lightening lower. I had already accumulated all the parts for the truck/bcb/mustang EFI intake, and the 351W before finding the GT40 lower. Once I found the lower, my build "direction" changed to include aluminum heads, custom cam, etc. That $325.00 intake cost me a lot!

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i thinking of using the cruise control of a mustang as and even taking a/c, heater. my bronco doesnt have any holes for heater so i can do a custom job. as for highway speed. i want the overdrive because having 4.88 and a np 435. running on the highway was a challenging. i have 2 302 blocks is the biggest reason im going with a 302, also dont see many 347 around and never have had a stroker and like the idea. im thinking soft doors, but most time nothing. also planning on building my trail doors. but was wondering who makes best fiberglass door inserts? 2 piece, backing plate? not a clue on any of that.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Why put inserts in? I agree they look nice, but I built custom doors for my factory opening and an glad I did. Makes it easier to get in and out. They are two piece and I like that as well. Nice to have an armrest on easier trials, but nice to pull them off and be able to lean way out to see obstacles. I also have zip-out windows too. My design isn't the greatest, but it holds in enough heat bashing the snow that it takes the chill off.

A 4-link would be nice. Can setup to really flex. But no shame in running radius arm setups either. The new setup Clint is working on is sweet. But his old design (that I have) works great as well! For a rig you're looking to build, I'd look into lower gears for the t-case for off-road. Also look into getting your belly flat, that includes the design for link mounts etc. I'd like to run a set of spring rockers on my rig, but raise the spring hanger on the frame the same 2" that the rockers give me. That pulls the spring hangers up to get out of the way as much as possible. Can't tell you how many ledges I've been hung up on with those hangers.

Think about stretching the wheelbase while you're at it. 92" is great for mild to moderate trails, but get into the serious stuff and just a few extra inches makes a huge difference in stability. The name of the game is control and clearance. Where one guy drags his rear bumper and gets hung up because it sticks out too far, you can walk right thru because you built yours to stay away from the rocks.

Protection - do it now. I don't know how well a fiberglass body holds up on the trail, but if you want to keep it nice, make sure you have rocker, bumpers, front and rear quarters protection. Keep the bumpers like a military hair cut (high and tight).

Ram assist steering. You'll want it eventually. At least get your steering box drilled and tapped for the connections.

There is much more, but those are the highlights as I can think of them.

J.D.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great info JD.

Thanks

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:06 pm