[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 3spd to C4 conversion
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 3spd to C4 conversion 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 3spd to C4 conversion
So I have a 3 speed on the floor and have thought about converting it to a C4. My question is what modes are involved other than the obvious trans, transfer case, driveline, cooler, column and what cost am I looking at??

Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 3spd to C4 conversion
Shifter and linkage, kickdown and linkage, C4 to D20 adapter. Cost is all over the place depending on if you get it rebuilt, shift kits, torque converter etc etc.

There are other considerations but a Bronco C4 is a pretty easy upgrade.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd see if viper has a setup, he helped me get the parts together for my sons swap. If I remember right you'll need the following if you want a column shift.

Column with linkage - P&P $30+
Bronco C4 - core is $250, rebuilt price depends on options
C4 to t case adapter - $100-400

Items to complete the install also include flex plate, torque converter, neutral safety switch, fill tube & dip stick, vacuum line, cooler lines and either a radiator swap or an external cooler.

Viper usually has some of the items and I could help with a few of the pieces as well.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Viper built mine also. He's affordable and about the most detailed C4 builder there is....

My build.... http://www.alpineclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?t=53

Fri May 24, 2013 9:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds easy enough, now it's all about the money and of course time. I was also looking at the 5 speeds in my early morning reading so I can't decide which way to go. To many choices but I am early in the build so I have a little time. The good thing is if I stay with a stick then the wife can't drive it as she has mentioned in passing. icon biggin
Thanks for the input.....

Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had two 16yr olds do the swap in my garage over spring break. (With adequate Viperwolf supervision of course. Git in touch with Viper, he can help you out.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Sun May 26, 2013 11:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Kinder, you mentioned a column from P&P for 30.00. I am guessing that is Pull and Pay? All I have up here is Andersons Salvage.. They do not have any Bronco's so is there another Model I can use?

Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There are a number of early Ford columns that will work. Mine is out of a 2wd F-150. I had to change the location of the dash bracket, but that's easy. Might be a good chance to upgrade to a tilt column if that interests you.

Tue May 28, 2013 11:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The most desirable column is a tilt column out of a van as they are comparable in length to the bronco columns. Any 4wd truck column from the mid to late 70's will work, like Justin said, look for the vehicles that still ah e the key on the dash. Just pull off your old column bracket and weld it to the new column in the needed position.

Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And here I was looking at the new ones from WH. That should save money for something else so I guess it's time for a trip to Andersons.

Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Can you give some years to loo into? Thx

Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is the advice that Gunnibronco gave to me in my build thread - Kinder used a F150 in Big-O says that it is a bit short but no problem if "your arms are as long as a gorrilia - which his are"

"Also, I was just reading that old econoline vans have good tilt columns for swaps. 78/79 Bronco/150s have key on dash with tilt columns, but are shorter than early Broncos. I have a 78/79 column I plan on installing, it will be close, if the 78/79 lower shaft will reach the steering gear.
"

Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is the advice that Gunnibronco gave to me in my build thread - Kinder used a F150 in Big-O says that it is a bit short but no problem if "your arms are as long as a gorilla"

"Also, I was just reading that old econoline vans have good tilt columns for swaps. 78/79 Bronco/150s have key on dash with tilt columns, but are shorter than early Broncos. I have a 78/79 column I plan on installing, it will be close, if the 78/79 lower shaft will reach the steering gear.
"

Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Late 70s vans, I didn't do too much research, just some basic searches on CB.com. I already had a 78/79 Bronco/F150 tilt column, so I was looking for info on it. I just managed to bump into the van info, by accident.

Wed May 29, 2013 6:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep, the 78/79 f150 or bronco columns seem to be the most popular. The one in Bubba Smurf came out of a 76 f150, at least that is what my brain remembers.

Wed May 29, 2013 6:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds good, thanks

Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If your interested, I'll be going out to Anderson's Saturday Morning for a few things. I can help you find what you need for a steering column. I have pulled several tilt columns out of vans at Andersons and have them in both my 66 and 74. The swap is pretty easy. The most important thing is to try to find one with a good turn signal switch in it. The Switch out of most 70's era tilt columns will work but the columns are common enough that you should be able to find one with a good switch. PM me if your interested.

Jeremy

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

PM sent.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I have the trans now (Thanks Plumbdoctor) and have been throwing the idea of a Hurst floor shifter. Any thoughts, pros, cons, and a PIC of the one you have?
I should have the garage done this weekend and will be able to get started on the project which I can't wait for!!!!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No problem, if you decide to stay with the column shift... I think I have a shift linkage here somewhere for you

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks and I was just throwing it around. Nothing set in stone yet..

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]