[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Disc Brake Conversion and EFI
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Disc Brake Conversion and EFI 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Disc Brake Conversion and EFI
Hi all, might anyone suggest a good disc brake conversion kit or alternate set-up? Also, I'm tired of messing with my carb at altitude. Can anyone suggest a good reliable EFI system to install?

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Disc Brake Conversion and EFI
There are 2 disk brake conversions that I'm aware of. What year is your truck? Both of these apply only to D44 front axles.

First is converting the knuckles, spindles, rotors, calipers & hangers, etc to 78/79 F150 or Bronco. You'll have to do something with your front steering linkage to match the new knuckles.

The second is using Chevy parts and bolting them to the stock drum brake knuckles. I don't know anything about this, except it can be done.

The obvious choice for EFI is doing a Ford EFI with parts from a Mustang or Explorer. The way most have done it use an 89-92 Mustang computer with intake, sensors, etc from a Mustang or an Explorer (I did this, you can read through what I did here: viewtopic.php?t=2795) . I love it.

Recently people have been using a newer 96- 01? 5.0 Explorer computer, harness, intake, and sensors. I would take a good look at this option, it really wasn't available when I did my swap. EFI Guy seems like a cool guy, he took a lot of time to talk to me when I had questions. He's in Denver, so a bonus for you.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... p?t=224697

There are some aftermarket EFI systems that install on a carb intake and use a throttle body injection. MSD, Edelbrock, etc, they are available from the usual Bronco vendors. I used a Holly Projection in the mid-90s, it sucked, but I'm sure they've come a long way since then. I replaced it with a carb after a year, maybe quicker.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunni nailed it. I did the chevy conversion once upon a time. There are two brands of Calipers you can buy for the conversion. Bendix is one, and I am sorry, I don't recall which one will not work. I got it wrong the first time and the wrong ones will brake off brake lines on your radius arm bushings. I can find the info on Cb.com if you need it.

EFI is totally worth it!

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys, I have a '69 and believe a Dana 30 front. I went to replace the front wheel bearings and discovered that the hubs were different sizes as far as the seals are concerned. Got no idea what to do with that for a disc brake conversion. A friend in Bailey suggested a F.A.S.T. EFI system. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If interested I'll have a 76/77 Dana 44 w/ disks up for sale soon.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You should just buy a complete D44 front end, upgraded brakes & stronger.

Can't speak to the FAST EFI sorry.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, you'd be much better off putting money into a D44 than the D30. Buying one that has already been converted is a big bonus. That means it should be pretty much a bolt-in procedure. Although you may have to play with the Master Cylinder. However, I have discs at all 4 corners and still the factory manual brake master cylinder. It's not perfect, but it works fine.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What they all said times umpteenmillion. Find yourself a nice D44 with discs already installed and swap it in. It's essentially bolt on, and a major upgrade. Frankly, it's probably less work than a disc swap for about the same money as a disc kit. If I were you, I'd put down a deposit on kinder's axle-it's perfect for your needs and he'll come through for you. If you just want to do a disc kit, any of the options from the major vendors are fine.

Re: EFI, it depends on your goals. If you're looking for easy and have cash to burn, something like the Holley or Edlebrock kits would be fine. The best route is the factory one. Ford makes good parts, and you can get most of them at any parts store. It's more work and takes a little more research and know how, but there are plenty of people in the club that have done it and are willing to help. It also won't take any tuning as long as you go for parts that were at least sort of designed to work together (putting 5.0 EFI on a 302, for example). Do some reading at www.oldfuelinjection.com to get a sense of what's involved.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Kinder,

Do you still have your D44 front available?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If he doesn't, I'm going to have one up for sale in the next month or two.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was in the same situation a few months ago where i had to choose because of financial reason to either go efi or better brakes.I choose to go efi because carbs suck! So I put in a 88 mustang engine in and kept the drums and put this in. http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_ ... id=41.this made a big difference.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You guys can keep your eft and the rats nest of wires and headaches. I run a good 2bbl with the floats dropped on a 300hp 302 (well more like 250 on the 2bbl) and it goes anywhere I want it to including all over Moab. Only time she snubs is if I drop off something really hard. After the first adjustment I have never had to touch it. I have about 3 wires that run my entire truck (starter,alt,dist). Pretty easy to troubleshoot. Think I would do propane before an efi upgrade (but mine spends lil time on the street)

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lol, some guys have good luck with a carb, but most of us are tired of messing with them because CO has such extremes in elevation and climate change. You take a carb'ed rig from a mile high up to 12,000ft and you'll see some issues (maybe only HP decrease if you're lucky). And then put some big boulders in the way with extreme off camber or steep incline and the issues with carb's will be compounded but with EFI that will be significantly less.

Sure, EFI is far more complex and you will have your issues, but modern cars are pretty darn reliable and they all have one thing in common.

With my lack of knowledge of EFI electronics, if I were still carb'ed, I would take a long hard look at propane. The biggest issue there is fuel storage.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]