[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Karmann Ghias
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Karmann Ghias 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Karmann Ghias
My sister in law is Karmann Ghia shopping, but isn't a car person and I don't know air-cooled VWs very well. Anyone know what the trouble areas or things to check out are?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Karmann Ghias
Funny you ask...I happen to own one! I thought you've seen it? Realistically it is just a type 1 bug with a different body on it. Later models had more safety items, disc brakes up front and better engines. Rust areas are rockers, quarters and floor pans. If you can find one that the nose hasn't been hit you will be doing really well. Super simple cars to work on. I got mine running in a few hours after it hadn't been started in 8 years or so. There appear to be some nice ones on craigslist right now so a lot of the quality will depend on her budget.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

At least with the bugs the main area to check out was the floor pans. Floor replacement seems to be fairly involved but I can't say for sure as I've never done it. Super sweet rides though, way jealous!

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

crawler, I was hoping you'd speak up. I'm not sure if I've seen yours in person, but remember seeing the pics. Thanks to both of you for the info! What's a reasonable price? They're looking at this one:

http://www.apautobrokers.com/1973_Volks ... 457386.veh

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is the only vw i want besides a tdi syncro vanagon .....

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking at ended ebay listings it seems that $4-$6k is about average for one in good condition. That one you linked looks nice. I'd be interested to see how they shaved the bumper as well. Also the drivers side grille insert looks bent/wavy and the nose doesn't look symmetrical in the head-on shot. Gaps around the hood don't seem to line up but maybe that's just the pictures.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For the price it'd be worth looking at this one as well: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4040108987.html
Body looks to be straighter from the pics.

...and if I keep looking at these I may just end up with one...

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Man you guys have good eyes. I hadn't noticed the nose. I'm hoping to take a look at it tomorrow, we'll see if I wind up with time. Dukie, I saw that one, may need to take a look at it as well.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Both look decent, personally resale red always makes me more inclined to look harder for mistakes...

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]