[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Yet Another welder thread
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Yet Another welder thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Yet Another welder thread
So I'm going to finally bite the bullet and squeeze a mig welder into my "shop" I have read a few threads on buying a welder and it seems the miller, Lincoln or Hobart 220v get high marks. I have no plans to build a bumper or weld frames together but would like to buy something that is versatile enough to do thicker stuff now and again.

Right now I would love to keep the budget in the $800 range and it would seem I can get a pretty good deal on a used unit from craigslist with some patience.

I only have 110 in the garage currently but was thinking I could have an outlet added under the breaker box and run a 220 extension to the garage for now.

I don't have much space so any advice on which models to concentrate on? Should I consider a 110 unit?

Sent from my iPhone using

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Yet Another welder thread
I'm looking for a new welder as well.

If I had the cash on hand, I would be all over this unit.

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/4262676861.html

I think one of the previous threads identified this as the most versatile and easy to use.

Bet you could get it a bit cheaper too.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Define "thicker" Chris.

I have ran into a few projects that my 110v Hobart probably couldn't do, but that was suspension stuff . For the most part, a good 110v welder gets done what most home hobbyists do, including bumpers and frame mods (frame only ~ 1/8" thick). You'll just want to look at duty cycle and get one that you can add gas to. For the big jobs, you just have friends with 220v equipment who like beer...

But to not have to rely on anyone, 220v is the way to go. However, I think if I had a nice compressor, I'd rather have a 110v welder with a nice plasma cutter instead of one 220v welder. Plus if you care for your stuff like I think you do, you won't lose much on resale of the 110v if you want to upgrade later.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Yet Another welder thread

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I say forget the 110v option, you'll end up selling it to upgrade. I realized how weak they are when I tried to tack my roll cage together. Neither machine was rated to the .120 wall tubing (I had a Hobart 130 & a Lincoln 140- both are now sold!). And when I tried to tack the tubing to the 1/4" bottom plates, I could pop the welds right off and it didnt' even start to penetrate the 1/4". I know this is too much to weld with the 110v model, but the results were pathetic.

I've been watching Craigslist for a while for welders. You can find a good 170-180amp unit (Hobart or Lincoln) used for about $500 if you wait. The new Hobarts & some of the Millers (don't know about the Lincolns) are multivolt & can be run on 110v or 220v. So you could be using your welder with no new outlets, then upgrade the service and bump to 220v when you can afford it. The Miller is more expensive than the Hobart models. The only thing I know is different is that the $1000+ models have amp controls with "infinite" settings, the cheaper Hobarts have click style amp settings with only a few choices. I think most people would be happy with the Hobarts, but I know the models I used in the bodyshop had the more adjustable controls, and that is nice.

I was talking to the owner of the welding shop here in Gunni, and he recommended I hold out for a 210 amp model. The 180s are rated for 1/4", but since I'm not a pro, he suggested the 210 models. 210 amp models don't come up used very often. There are tons of 110v models for sale used every day, I think that says a lot.

I'm going to look at an older 225amp Century model, next week (Century was bought by Lincoln, but this model was sold by Grainger, Matco & Mac as private branded models). It doesn't have the bells an whistles of the newer models, but I think it will be fine for me. I just don't know if I can get the price down enough to buy it, or wait for a newer one to come available. Saving over 1/2 off the Miller price above seems like its worth it. The Miller 211 is available for that price new on Cyberweld.com. Miller makes a 212 model right now that retails about $1700, but I can't really see why any homeowner would need more than the 211 model.

Thermal Arc models get good reviews too. Justin likes his, and they give you a little more for the money than Miller. There aren't many available used though.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/tls/4252327749.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/tls/4262546996.html

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a very nice Lincoln 140 if anybody wants to buy it so I can buy a Miller 210 or 211.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll second (third?) the suggestion to get a 220v capable welder. Rox has my old 110v. It was a great unit and did well with bodywork and other light needs, but limited me as I progressed into bigger projects. When I was originally shopping for a welder I had no idea I'd get into as much metalwork as I do now and I'd buy 220v the first time if I had it to do over. I'm in the same position you are with regards to garage power and went with a dual voltage welder, in my case the Thermal Arc 211i. I've got 220v access in my laundry room next to the garage, but apparently our clothes need to be dry as well as washed, so it makes the wife cranky when I steal it. I'm currently buying parts for the 220 install in the garage, which should cost less than $200 including a subpanel. If I remember correctly, thought, you've got a detached garage which complicates things a little.

For specific welders to look at, check out the Hobart 210MVP. It's a 180 amp dual voltage welder that goes for something like $800. It's basically a Miller 211 with stepped controls and fewer features. I've heard it's built on the same line, but can't verify that. If you can raise your budget a little, the Miller 211 is a really nice machine. I used one when I did my welding classes. I like my Thermal Arc a little better, as has more power, seems to have better arc control (easier to make a good bead) and can weld slightly thicker metal with the same amount of power input since it's a more efficient inverter design. Another option is to look at a used ESAB. They're great USA-made welders and the name isn't as well known, so used ones tend to be less expensive. Lincoln makes the 180, which is also dual voltage.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have the lincoln weldpack 180, I thought mine was a 185 but the HD link shows a 180 so thats likely what it is.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Elec ... /100670932

I bought mine as a returned unit. Someone bought it, opened it, maybe used it and realized they couldn't weld or afford it, whatever and returned it.
Got it for a discounted price as a result, but even at $670 that is a very good welder for the money. All of these fancy controls and things are nice but for the "hobbyist" really in my opinion not worth the extra cost.
Also some of those millers and much nicer units listed are pretty big physically.
with your tight space you may not want that large of a machine.
You could lift the one I have into the rafters if need be to get it off the floor, just a thought.

I think I am on my 4th or 5th 35lb roll of wire so I have used it plenty.
Shock hoops, cage, bumpers, All the tie rod setups on the TRO build days that was done at my place 2 years ago or whenever that was.
Plenty of machine in my opinion.
And remember you can always turn it down but you can only turn it up to max whatever that is. Dont buy a 110v is what I am saying.

And just so you know welder size extension cords are $$$$$.
I have mine to be able to weld anywhere in my 3 car garage, about 15-20 feet and I want to say it was about $225 for that chunk of cord, but worth it to be able to use it anywhere, even down in the driveway if i want.

You are more than welcome to use mine if you want to sample this machine to see if you like it, I have parts for you anyhow.

A name brand wire feed with an auto change helmet is like cheating but oh so nice.
I started years ago with an AC buzzbox and flip downs sheilds, auto changers were big money back then.

Whatever you decide you will be amazed at all the uses you will have to melt metal together.

Good luck

Almost forgot, get the biggest bottle of Arg/Co2 you can afford, it sucks always changing out the little ones, I had a medium one then finally said screw it and got a bigger one

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry, you're right. That's what I get for writing off the top of my head. The Hobart 210MVP is a killer deal, and probably the best bang for the buck out there. Another piece of advice is to look on craigslist for your bottle. I picked up both my C25 (75% argon, 25% CO2) bottle and my straight argon bottle for around $100 each for a 135cf. They're over $200 from a welding shop.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No worries, Justin.

I found some bottles on Ebay not badly priced too. I had a CO2 (like on soda fountains) bottle, but thought I didn't like CO2. Hartman Brothers traded me straight across for a CO2/Argon bottle. I've been welding with straight CO2 at a friend's house recently, and like it just as much as CO2/Argon. My old Hobart welder had a stuck gas soliniod valve and wasn't introducing gas, that was the problem, not the kind of gas.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chris, CO2 is a great, less expensive option as compared to C25. It has more spatter and tends to run a rougher, digging arc, but costs less and will penetrate a little better.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm gone for a day and you have overloaded me with great info. I'm going to sit down after my day of skiing tomorrow and do some more research. I might have to get an electrician over in the next week to add an outlet. Not sure wiring the garage for 220 is in the budget right now.

Sent from my iPhone using

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a 110. After using a 220 at work. Bigger is better.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You've seen my welder. I have never needed less power. I have only maxed my welder a couple of times but was very happy to have that kind of power when I needed it. The 100% duty cycle is a wonderful thing as well. Get the biggest and best you can afford is my advise. Same goes for the welding bottle and welding wire. My welder takes 45lb rolls of welding wire which is cheaper per lb than most rolls and lasts a long time. I've burned about 350lbs in my welder with only tip replacements in the 4 years I've owned it. I would recommend a Miller, Lincoln and Hobart(in that order). The Hobarts are made by Miller with Miller's "old" technology basically.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will wire your garage for free depending on location of receptacle vs panel maybe 100 in material. . Plug, 1 1/4 pipe, breaker, fittings and feed wire will depend on welder and length of run..

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a 220v Lincoln pro mig 180.. I can weld 1/4 all day wwith co2 and 3/16 with argon mix. I double pass stuff for peace of mind but the lowes Lincoln units are being clearance out in some stores. . Mine has served me well

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For perspective the welder at my place that you used is a Lincoln 180 from Home Depot. I run the big spool of wire (mostly .035) and a big mixed bottle. I've used it to weld thin sheet metal with decent results, up to 3/8" with good results. I've only had it shut down on me once, after welding on my frame for the entire day at over 100 degrees, 30 min cool off and I was back at it. I do wish it had more adjustability, but it is my 1st welder and purchased a good price.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I run a 220 V Pro Mig 175 which is the precursor to the Pro Mig 180.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So it seems 220 is the way to go, Miller, Lincoln and Hobart being the top favorites. I would rather have a bit more than needed then need more than I don't have (make sense?). I will keep a look out on CL for a Miller or lincoln package deal.

I have read about the ESAB welders and they come highly recommended but as mentioned they are not as popular as the aforementioned three however I did see one on CL recently.

I guess first order of business is to get 220 to the garage and keep on the look out for a good deal on CL or a new one around town.. would love to pick up one as a package with helmet, gloves, wire, bottle etc etc...

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We could throw a sub panel on and use aluminum ser cable. . Alot cheaper than Cooper. The 50amp feed for the welder is #6 most likely and that can be expensive. .

I was at Murdocks today 220v hobart welders were 699. Hobart is made by miller.. or find a lowes with one still there were like 30% off

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Take a box of donuts into your local welding shop and ask for advice. You might get differing opinions, but you might find some more brands to look for... My buddy had an ESAB plasma and it seemed nice. Oh, I also have a contact thru my cousin who might be able to help you track something down?? I'll see if I can get his contact info.

I also sent an email out to the two shops that do the majority of our fab work for my company.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got an answer from one shop. Said, for hobby's he wants this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... OgodyBQAPA

But for the serious stuff:
http://store.cyberweld.com/millermatic2 ... OgodHH8A8Q

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was at hd and priced out a 60 ft run it would be around 150 to 175 in material at most the 2-2-2 wire is 1.10 a foot panel for outdoor is 40 ish. Breaker for new panel depends on brand 10-30 bucks and carlon fittings are in the 50 dollar range.. all we need to do is call for a under ground utilities check.. if you dig the trench I will wire all of it.. you would have a 125 amp panel dedicated to the garage . If you put a 100 amp breaker you could run multiple 220v and 20 amp circuits at once...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next