[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Redneck Diesel Gauges
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Redneck Diesel Gauges 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Redneck Diesel Gauges
The "New to me" F350 is about to make its first road trip towing the Bronco to Moab. I have been wanting to get gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost) for it for while but have not gotten it done. I had some concern about EGT's pulling the Bronco over I-70 so this weekend, a little Hill Billy Ingenuity took place. If you have ever had the privilege of riding in Phil's Bronco and checking out his Transmission Temp Gauge, you will see where I got my inspiration. My Multimeter, has a temperature probe on it and I happen to have two of the probes. Probe one was attached to the Exhaust Manifold before the up pipe to the turbo. Probe two went to the same location where the Transmission temp sensor would screw in. I routed them through the transfer case shift boot. I can only read one "gauge" at a time and they may not be 100% accurate but I will at least be able to see it if the temps start climbing.

Now you way wonder how I will be able to tell the probes apart in the cab of the truck. This is where I take my inspiration from another member. Can you say colored zip ties? Red for transmission fluid and Purple for Pyro.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post Re: Redneck Diesel Gauges
Are you going to have a chart with resistance values taped to the dash?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It'll be interesting to see your results.

A word on EGT's. If you've not had experience with them, they can skyrocket quickly. Most (including myself) get the impression it's something like engine temp, but far from it. With my modded truck on a medium setting, I could spike my EGT's to around 1300+ with one 0-60 run empty. And lugging the motor is the worst for EGT's but an Auto Tranny generally won't allow that. But being stock, as long as you aren't trying to catch air as your crest the passes, you should be fine.

Another thing to listen for is Turbo Surge. Sounds like a pressure cooker on the stove. That can snap the shaft between the exhaust and intake side of your turbo, so do something different if you begin to hear that.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:48 am

Just be leary that the EGT might be a little low like that. Hope that thermocouple is able to read to 1500*

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So funny, its a small world.

I just used my thermocouple probe and my new Fluke multimeter on my Bronco engine to check how its cooling last week.

J.E.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm

oh i know im just sayin I hope that thermocouple can handle the heat.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]