[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Inner fenders
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Inner fenders 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Inner fenders
I'm trying like heck to keep my inner fenders intact while I go through my build, both because I would like to keep mud and junk off the engine and because I don't really want to deal with the added fabrication. That said, I'm running into clearance issues at full compression-pic below. For those of you who have had to deal with this, what did you decide and why? Did it make much of a difference in terms of engine mess? If you took out the fenders, how did you provide support to the front of the body?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 am

Post Re: Inner fenders
Just drill out all the spot weld and push it forward on that corner. Or what I was looking at doing also is just raising the whole wheel tub.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm leaning towards moving the whole inner fender up and forward.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've thought seriously about relocating the fenders. The only thing I'm not sure about is how best to deal with the body mount and the battery. I've considered switching to smaller dual batteries under the passenger's seat, but don't have the $$ to do that right now.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You could mount the battery up against the firewall like I did on BSD, on my rig there was nothing there to interfere. As for the body mount, you could always relocate it to the top of the frame like the rear most mounts are.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tube it! I don't get much dirt and mess on my engine and it is so much easier to work on if you need to. You've come this far, what's a little more bent tubing?

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What did you use for yours? I'm thinking if I went that route that I'd do 1.5" .120 wall.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was going to say tube it as well, though mine isn't structural it worked out really well. It is bolted to the firewall with a plate on the back side (think sandwich), so I can remove my entire front clip. I recently spent 3 days scouting in a VERY wet area and had a lot of water crossings to go through and I didn't encounter any problems with not having inner fenders.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been thinking a lot about doing a tube front clip. My front end is badly out of whack from an accident the PO had & didn't properly fix. My firewall is a mess too. The sheetmetal above the inner fenders is a mess, and I'm worried once I cut the fender well out, there might not be much good metal left. I'm a little surprised you guys aren't running any fender wells, but its good to know.

I'm playing my front end move by ear. I'm going in with an open mind and will see where it leads.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The other factor I'm kicking around is the is the overall value of the rig. I'm wanting to end up with something that is very capable off road, but not a full blown almost-buggy. Basically a restomod approach. Other than the rockers (which are going away) the body on mine is in really good shape, so I don't want to do anything that will detract from that end goal. Thoughts on that?

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think that a tube front clip will make it a buggy, it still will be a full body rig with all of the sheet metal other than the inner fenders, aprons, and core support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Inner fenders
I don't really have much left of the inner wheel wells toward the engine and haven't had many issues with mud or dirt getting into the engine. It does get dusty but no flingin which I was surprised with.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My Bronco came with the inner fenders removed.

The main problem I have is the air cleaner gets fed really dirty air.

Battery is behind the passenger, I plan to move it back to the front above the right shock tower.

Previous owner built support with square tubing, works fine but doesn't look the best..a very basic support system.

I plan on building some aluminum inner fenders that can snap in and out as needed.

J.E.

Last edited by Unaweep on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wanted to remove my inner fenders for a few reasons - more air flow should mean a cooler engine plus wanted to see the motor and headers.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Here is what I did on the old 74. This was stock suspension compressed on factory bump stops.

Back of wheel tub

Front of wheel tub

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, that's helpful. I suspect what I'll end up doing, as it'll be the easiest to get done. I like fab, but am at the point where a line needs to get drawn about how much I do or its never going to get done.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]