[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Any 2M / HAM folks out there?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Any 2M / HAM folks out there? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Any 2M / HAM folks out there?
I'm going to pick up a handheld unit. I was very disappointed by the radio setup we used this last hunting season. Looking for someone to talk to (in person and over the air) so I can get some pointers. I'm already studying for the technician license and I'll get that knocked out ASAP.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Any 2M / HAM folks out there?
I can put you in touch with some ham nerds from work if you like. Two technicians, one studying for general.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have my tech license, but haven't been active for 6+yrs. For a handheld, Yaseu makes a couple great ones that are compact and water resistant yet still pack a decent punch as far as wattage. You can also use a Yaseu mobile in your vehicle to connect the two and setup your own quasi repeater network - that is handy if you are in canyons etc and can't reach a repeater with your hand held, but you can reach your vehicle and it can reach the repeaters.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There used to be a fairly active Boulder HAM club that would be a great source of info.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I also know a few folks from the 4x4 club I used to run with in Denver. In fact, I think one of them is an instructor. Let me know if you want contact info.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the replies & recommendations, I'd appreciate contact info.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

N0KHC here, have been for 25 years or so. Tech Plus.

I will be willing to help or recommend. I was very active when I still had my Dad but backed off after he passed away. He was very active and I pursued it to stay in touch with him.

2 Meters is great but the thing you run into is there are few others around that have the rigs, so I always have had a few laying around for that reason. Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help. I prefer ICOM but have some Radio Shack 440 hand held as well. I don't think Radio Shack carries anymore but they work well.

I have a 65 watt amplifier I have used mobile before, and of course a great antenna mounted instead of the rubber duck is really a great way to get your signal strength up.

For every 3db of gain it doubles your signal. So when looking at antenna etc just think about that when you are trying to get set up. 5 watt handhelds are great but need to have good batteries and antenna to keep that signal up. The battery packs are lacking and if you can get a good lead for the handheld to feed from you 12v DC source you will be better off.

Canon City, Co

Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Any 2M / HAM folks out there?
Thanks, I'm reading as much as possible and have read the antenna & cable are just as important as the radio. Plan is to get a couple of hand held units to start and then a vehicle mounted.

I'll get a 12v power source for the hand held radios, thanks for the tip.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Had my Tech for almost 7 years now. I got started on Yaesu radios because of certain features and style, and have stuck with them.

Currently I own three:

FT-8800R was my first unit. It was purchased for its dual band and cross-band repeater capabilities.

VX-6R was my second unit. Portable, dual-band, feature rich and best of all, waterproof

FTM-350R, because I got into APRS (triple-band, are you sensing a theme here?)
)

There are many options out there depending on what you need to do. I needed a better solution than CB or FRS for wheeling. That morphed into needing a portable for snowmobiling with my friends. The snowmobiling led to APRS for tracking group members instead of just voice communications. The FT-8800 is nice for working a remote area, I can park the truck on a high spot and use it as a make-shift repeater for the hand talkies.

I've even mated a single board computer to a radio modem kit running tracking software.

I probably dork-out in the most on the APRS stuff, but the improved range and quality of the voice communications alone is a reason to switch.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 pm

KB0KPN here. Booger is N0GPW. I have a 2m mounted in my bronco but never turn it on as no one ever uses it.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe we'll start a trend.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've thought about it for years. Haven't made the leap as I didn't have anyone I actually wanted to talk to. If we wind up with a bunch of HAM operators I'd probably jump on board.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like we are up to 5 tech license holders just in this thread, I bet there are a few more in the background. As soon as I get up and running I'll do a bit of research on local groups and freqs, we can either join into an established setup or setup our own if there is enough interest.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There are plenty of established groups out there. Here is a list of local clubs.

You will run into many people that are into HAM for different reasons. Many older guys I've met like the social aspects, others like the technical merits, others still are in it for practical reasons like Search & Rescue or like us, just need a better form of comms for club related activities. I tend to fall into the last two groups. I got started out of a need for something better than CB, but soon realized the greater potential of HAM in general. (I say greater, because it is difficult to fully realize what can be done, given HAM radio's constantly evolving nature)

Here is list of state repeaters:

Colorado is a great place for HAM guys. We have lots of high peaks to place repeaters on that allow signals to propagate for 100s of miles. It makes 2m and 70cm very effective in this area. There is even a state-wide repeater network that is radio-linked and doesn't rely on any outside infrastructure. You can key-up in Denver and talk to someone in Durango, Grand Junction, and Walden all at the same time!

Getting your ticket is fairly simple, especially if you have a basic understanding of electrical and radio principals. I'm willing to help anyone out that needs it and my tech license manual is available to borrow.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm interested in this as well. Have always thought about the benefits but like others didn't know anyone else to make it worth while.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've thought seriously about it in part because of the repeater network. I like the idea of being able to call for help with more than a CB if I get in trouble while out in the boonies alone.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I use to be on the radio a long long time ago for my job.

Used HF, UHF voice. HF, UHF satellite. HF, VLF, ELF receive and lot's of other goodies, it was a fun job.

Certified 21wpm on morse code, I've heard the code has went away as a requirement for ham radio now? Is that true?

J.E.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes, no code for tech license, haven't checked higher levels.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

KD0EHD

I've been a tech for several years. I have a Yaesu VX-7R handheld and a 2M/7M Jpole antenna in my attic.

I participate in an Emergency Radio Club 2 times a month to keep my meager skills up.

I took my radio with me a month ago when I was out camping by Taylor park, but I forgot my repeater catalog and couldn't find a repeater. So just having a radio doesn't help much. there are SOOOO many frequencies and options that you've got to have a catalog to find anything. At least I do.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good idea o having a book around, or at least notes - I have most of the repeaters programed in and labeled; if I lost the memory I might be a bit lost too...

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm looking forward to learning how to program my radio, but I'll definitely carry a little book of local freqs for repeaters.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe if you all log on (or whatever you call it) together at the same you could sing Happy Birthday? Happy Birthday Kirk.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]