[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Garage floor coating
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Garage floor coating 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Garage floor coating
So my new house is 3 weeks away from being occupied by me. (Finally). It is going to have a beautiful 3 car garage and I was wondering what you all have used for a coating for the floor. I would probably nee something that sets fast but otherwise indestructible. Let me know what you have all used good or bad and where you got it from.

Bobby

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Garage floor coating
No first hand experience, but I'd add those traction flakes to what ever coating you decide to go with.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The problem with adding any kind of grit for traction to paint that you walk or roll anything on is that the grit cuts through the paint and it wears out much quicker.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Bought a kit from Home Depot 7 years ago and have not had any issues with it. I threw the flakes down that it came with it as well and believe the kit was Rust Oleum.
I have had many spills from chemicals and never had any of it pealing. The only time it has been slick is if there was a oil spill. I waited the 72 hours before walking on it or parking a car on it.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used H&C Shield epoxy from Sherwin Williams. A little slick until the glaze is warn off. Spilled gas, brake fluid, diesel fuel, paint thinners, hot tires it has held up well. To everything but welding splatter. I tried a water base on the new floor at my last house and wood glue pealed it up.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I researched this a bunch when we moved a couple of years ago. Didn't pull the trigger because we ran into a financial snag and I wound up not having the money, but the Sherwin Wiliams epoxy gets awesome reviews. It's what I had planned to use.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:33 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

The biggest problem with laying Epoxy down right now is the weather. The stuff I used said it needed 7 days to cure at 70f minimum, I put it down in March and don't think the temp was ever above 50. It has still held up decently except for the areas that had cold air coming in (doggie door, and gaps on the sides of the garage door). I started to see peeling in those areas after 5 years. It's the same stuff we used on the floor at work which is just starting to show signs of peeling after 15 years. Which is decent considering how bad the floors in the shop are constantly abused.

I don't remember the name of the place but it was a paint supply place just a block or 2 south of MPG heads. The color I used was national blue, which is the perfect color for a Ford themed garage.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We have used both the Rust-o-leum and the Sherwin Williams garage floor coatings on customer's garages and both hold up reasonable. The absolute best one is one our concrete sub puts on, but it is industrial grade and can only be installed on "cut" concrete. In other words, they cut the top 1/4" of concrete off and lay it down over the rough concrete so it adheres and seeps into the open pores. The Rust-o-leum one we have here at our shop on a south facing, high traffic set of steps and it holds up to everything really good. For a DIY, I would say to use that one over the Sherwin Williams one.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've done both the Home Depot coating (don't recall specifics, this was in TX in 2006 and I had to have the AC on in the garage!) and the SW H&C Epoxy in my CO garage. Both did ok, and showed signs of wear after a couple years. The SW did get soft when I left brake fluid running down my jack stands for a couple days. The HD brand did fine too although the SW brand probably endured more abuse. You don't want a dark color, especially if you work on your own rigs. My dad even put down the reflective beads they use for highway paint as dual purpose grip and light. Not sure how successful that was.

I know SW you could re-apply the clear coat some years later.

Actually I just remembered...I used U-Coat-it for the TX house. Must not have been really happy with it as I tried something else in CO.

With any of it, prep is key. I know I etched both floors with Muratic acid, using a respirator. And I should have put down many more flecks than I did.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]