[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - my "other" project
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 my "other" project 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post my "other" project
I just put all these pics into photobucket. Its hard to tell what I've done from the photos, but it might give you all motivation to not try this at home. I'm 5 years into my 6 month project.
http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78/c-w-a/remodel/

My home was originally built in 1882, from brick. They only made brick in the Gunnison Valley for a few years while they built Taylor Hall at the college. So my home is unique, and was one of the premium homes in Gunnison in 1882.The brick was poor quality & deteriorated. Almost all the exterior brick has been sided over, but I've gone to extraordinary measures to expose as much inside as possible. The back of the home (my bedroom, kitchen & bath) were added later. It is stick frame construction w/roughsawn lumber & square nails. There are no records of the addition, but I'm guessing it was between 1900 & the 20's. I found a Denver Post in the floor from November 1944, but I think it was part of a later remodel. This addition protected the back wall of the home & the old exterior brick was still in wonderful shape when we exposed it, you can still see an outline of the old shed roof over the back door.

I started the addition in the back of the home, and now have moved to Phase II, the front. In the back, I've moved my bedroom wall & added a closet. I've also added new, custom doors & new windows, not to mention adding insulation to the walls, which had none before. In the front, I've recently ripped out a bedroom wall & made a large living room. It will be home of the 1903 Bruswick pooltable my Grandfather bought in Youngstown, OH in 1954. I have some great friends who are carpenters & electricians who have helped me through this project. And yes, in the Gunnison spirit, many of the materials have been scavenged from other building projects and used in my home. My friend hates to see materials thrown in the trash and I'm the beneficiary. I have a garage full of barn wood planned for wainscot, and much of the blueboard & lumber that was installed in the new floating floor was saved from the landfill. Its a long way from done, and the pics don't really tell the whole story, but here you go (all new electric & new 200a service, moved boiler/water heater, all new baseboard, etc).

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: my "other" project
Looks great gunni. Old cars and house have character the new just can't match. I would love to see some of the pics of the exterior.
My wife and I were married on a hill outside Crested Butte. I love that part of the state.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:50 pm
Profile YIM
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, I'm trying to bring back all that old character. People spend lots of money to fake "old" around here, so I thought it would be smart to bring out the real "old" in my house. Here is a pic of the outside. I wish there was snow like that, but hopefully it'll be here this afternoon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gotta love the gable and facade of that front porch. Very cool.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 pm
Profile YIM
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep, its a very cool home. I'm lucky to own it, I bought it in 96 before the market went real crazy, so I got a pretty sweet deal. The condition/age of the wiring/insulation/etc required a complete gut & remodel. There was really no way of taking on small projects and achieving what I wanted. For example, I found sections of live knob & tube wiring in the attic, floors needed beefed up, walls needed insulated, windows & doors needed replaced. But it is a good, sound building. I'll look for pictures of my garage, it was built from discarded railroad ties when the mine & railroad pulled out of the valley in the 1950's. The walls are solid stacked railroad ties & the attic/roof is rough sawn 2x6 cedar trusses. It could hold 3 cars, and has a full walk up attic. The big garage & small house was just what I wanted.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great transformation. The wood doors and moldings are incredible. Very nice work. I would love a tour when you get it done. A remodel like that is more work than building new, but with results like that, it is so worth it.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, the alder doors & trim were custom built by Josh Hawk in Penrose, CO (Ponderosa Door, I think). His prices and quality are awesome, if anyone wants his info, let me know. I did all the sanding & staining and my friend did a beautiful job of installing the trim. I would have destroyed more trim than I actually got hung. I had all the doors built 4" taller than normal doors, to accentuate the 10' ceilings.

Oh yeah, the 2 old window openings in the large living room will get opened up and dressed up as display cases. One of those windows was my only closet for my bedroom for 10+ years.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunni, I would love to get some really good pictures of those doors and the info for them. I work in high end remodeling and some of my customers just don't like the "off the shelf" doors that a lot of suppliers have gone with. It would just be nice to have an alternative product out there to suggest.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:54 am

Beautiful! I admire your perseverance. I wouldn't have the staying power for a project of this magnitude and It would never be completed in my lifetime. THUMBS UP!!!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

gotta love the Phillips 66 War Bonds ad

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

POLE POSITION!!! Man, I loved going to the pizza joint and playing that game.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know someone who might have access to a monitor for you if you want to fix that Galaga game. He owns Arcade Amusements in Manitou and I grew up playing hockey with his kids. He lives about 4 blocks away from me right now.

The other driving game that I always loved was Ivan Stewart's Off Road. That one was a blast too.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For sure! Ivan Stewarts was a great game. I burned about a million quarters in that one.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I remember the Ivan Stewart game too. The Pole Position is a tough game to master, I played it a lot after I got it home, and only made it to the final stage once. I never successfully finished all the stages. With no resistance to the steering & gas, it is very hard to finesse it.

I'd be interested in a monitor, I've always planned on fixing the Galaga, but since there is nowhere to put it in the house right now, it is low priority. Let me know if one is available, I'll try to figure how to get it to Gunnison. I know where to find them, I ordered parts from a company called Happ Controls & there is a big store in Denver (I forget their name) I bought a new slate for a coin-op pooltable from them years ago.

Part of me thinks I should sell them all off. My home is so small, and I won't really play them much, its kinda silly keeping them around.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

oh man i love Galaga.. that was my game.. still is.. i have flipped it a few times back in the day :)

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Since I haven't done anything to my Bronco since last summer, except start and stalling out on a new dash, I thought I'd post up what I've been doing.

Here is a facebook gallery of my remodel project. I've taken some time to add older pics from the beginning of the project up to most recent pics.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 071f345d47

This winter I plumbed/rearranged the bathroom. All new Pex water lines, and new waste lines- its not that much just a kitchen and bath. But I got rid of that terrible claw foot bathtub, and sink with separate spigots for hot and cold. I really feel I moved into the 21st century, I can wash my hands with warm water! Not cold or scalding hot! Isn't technology great. The vanity/sink is one of my favorite things in the remodel. I bought it years ago while working at a high end kitchen/furniture store. It's been sitting in my garage for 5+ years, nice to get it in the bathroom where it belongs. We still need to frame & tile the bath, tile the floor, and get a new toilet to match the bath, but the major stuff is done.
P1010827.JPG
P1010825.JPG

I also finished rewiring the house. Its ready for a rough in inspection, as soon as the garage is done (hopefully this week), and a few loose ends are tied up.
P1010829.JPG
P1010828.JPG

Finally we floated & insulated the spare room floor, furred out the walls for drywall, and added some blue board insulation, and framed a new square ceiling.
P1010744.JPG

My "Decade of Progress" plan is moving along right on schedule. sigh.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You've gotten further along than a lot of people would taking on this project. Great stuff. Too bad about that claw foot. Love those things. Shoulda thrown a plug in the bottom and turned it in to a parts washer. :laughing2:

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Its in the front yard, I'm going to use it as a planter someday.

I've seriously considered repurposing my kitchen sink as a parts washer when I put in new cabinets & counters. Big, single basin stainless steel.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i live in an older house (1910) have this claw foot tub.. can't stand it.. we are going to replace it hopefully sooner or later with a shower.. its quaint and all and great for resell.. but functionality wise its horrible...

Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 08, 2013 9:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lots of progress since I updated last (aka: why I never get to work on my Bronco).

Last summer, I framed up my bath tub/shower & installed cement board & water proofing. In September, I hired a tile guy to put down my kitchen & bath floor & tile the bath tub. I installed my vanity, shower doors, and steam shower unit. Love my steamer. All the bath needs now is case & base, but it will wait till I get trim for the whole house.

After the bath was 'done' I could focus on getting my electric rough in ready. I passed my electric & framing inspection a few weeks ago. So I've put up some dry wall in my living room, and washed the brick wall once. It needs another washing to remove a white film left from the plaster/lath laid over it in 1882, but its looking good. I'm going to use a very dilute mix with muriacid next time, then seal it.

I have most the outlets & lights in my house wired & installed. I've been living on 1 set of 'temporary' outlets for each room since 2008, so I find myself not turning on lights, because I'm not used to having them.

More importantly, for the last couple days I've been installing outlets, lights & switches into my garage. I can say that my garage is wired & ready for my final inspection. I'll add more outlets & circuits after my inspections, but for now its done.

I wired the garage in all 20 amp outlet circuits, 6x 4' double fluorescent lights replace 6 incandescent bulbs, 30a/220v for the compressor, motion activated light outside, 2x 4' double fluorescent lamps in the attic. I'll probably add a switched fluorescent over the work bench, and another fluorescent lamp in the attic. I can see all my Bronco & Plymouth parts now!

I even added a temporary 50a/220v outlet so I can run my welder & plasma cutter. Its not to code & will have to be removed before my inspection, and reinstalled properly after. But I had a piece of scrap 6 gauge wire, so it seemed like I should install it. Its not where I want it, but it will allow me to take on some projects sooner than later.

For perspective, before this remodel, my whole house & garage was on a 100 amp service. I installed a new 200 amp meter & had new service wires brought to the house. So now I've got 100 amps to the garage (and another 50 amps at the garage, that were for a hot tub I had, but gave to a friend). Big circuit breakers make me more excited than they should.

I celebrated by setting up my welder & playing with some scrap metal last night. That thing is a monster, 230 amps 60% duty cycle. What a difference from a 135 amp model. It also has a Tweeko gun that is, by far, the nicest welding gun I've ever used. The trigger is so nice.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That exposed brick wall is gonna look great

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great Chad, I liked your place when I saw it several months ago, like it even more now.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments.

Kirk, it was kind of embarrassing last summer. The place was a real disaster, starting to feel like a home again.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

looks like progress! i will need to bend your ear on the steam shower as iam putting one in my upstairs bath late spring

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next