[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Truck Opinions
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Truck Opinions 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Truck Opinions
I am looking for opinions on trucks. I'm getting to the point where I don't have enough room in the ole Bronc for the daily bump & grinds of life. 2 boys, sports equipment, their teammates, etc. and what I am looking for is opinions. What do you guys like, what do think of certain vehicles, etc. I would like a used 1/2 or 3/4 ton PU under 75k miles. I would prefer to have a 3/4 ton, but it isn't a deal breaker if the right 1/2 ton shows up. Typical use will includes road trips, camping, etc.

Camping, I'll be pulling a pop up trailer with ATV & a couple motorcycles. I'd like to get decent gas mileage (the 15 mpg range) and it needs to be a true "crew" cab with full size rear seat area. Bed size doesn't matter. My biggest concern is the engines that are available. It seems that in both Ford & Dodge in the 1/2 ton market, they are going with V6 eco-type engines. Anyone have any insight on those? I am showing my ignorance in new vehicles because shouldn't a truck have a V8 in it? I'm not overly keen on the looks of the GM products, whether it is the half or 3/4 ton trucks. I'm just not a fan of their visual aesthetics. I do like the looks of the Ford & Dodge product. But, again, should the right GM show its face, I'll take it. I am not a "I'll never own another brand" type of guy. I want a good, dependable truck. Nothing more. If the shoe ends up fitting, I'll wear it. So, my biggest concern goes back to the engines in everything. Am I gonna get burned by a V6 with turbo vs. getting a V8? Do the manufacturers not put gasoline engines into 3/4 trucks anymore?

Insights and opinions....ready, GO.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Truck Opinions
I love my Tacoma but I know that's smaller than what you're looking for. My dad and a buddy of mine both have Tundras and really love them. They get better than 15mpg with a gasoline V8. Good resale value and the the 4-door version has a massive cab!

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll have to agree with Dukietown on the Tundra thing. I've heard that the 5.7 is a gas hog, but I have the 4.7 in my 4runner and love it. Gets 15 in town and can get over 20 on the highway if you keep it under 70. I towed my 2nd Bronco back to Denver from Divide on a U-haul trailer and towed really well at 14.7 mpg (I was really pushing the limits on the towing capacity for the Runner on that).

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll throw a vote in for an F150 with the ecoboost v6. Amazing power and fuel mileage. The 3.5 turbo v6 is so good they are now considering it their premium engine above all their v8s. Great towing capability and, IMO, the best interior and exterior of all other trucks.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2 on the ecoboost. I have not heard of any complaints and they have excellent power.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes F150 ecoboost, there is a good discussion about it over on expo portal.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:37 pm

x4 on the ecoboost. Just go drive one and you'll see why.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:41 pm

X a bunch from me (25+ years as a Ford tech) they've been great, nothing wrong with the 5.0L either if you don't want to spend the extra $$ on the ecoboost.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Love my 2011 tundra double cab with 4.6 v8 and love it. 17mpg mixed driving when I'm careful. Father in law has same truck same motor in crew cab and can eek out 21 mpg driving ultra conservative and back seat is huge...like more room than SUV in back seat. Something like 11 inches versus the 7 in my double cab. Great trucks.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I loved my 4Runner with a V8 but can't speak to the Toyota trucks. However, my buddy towed my Bronco to Moab last year in an F150 ecoboost going 75 the whole way. My dad bought the same truck and it's got a great interior and exterior look.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I really loved my Dodge 3/4 ton 2500 Crewcab Diesel. 20mpg, lots of room, lots of power...kids and all your crap only gets bigger with time! Today it's a Pop-up...tomorrow it's a Toy hauler!
These things are seriously just getting broke in @ 50k miles.
I'm a Ford guy at heart but my next truck will also be a Dodge.
Good luck!

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Drove my BIL's ecoboost F150. Wasn't impressed. Transitions between cruise and acceleration felt jerky and awkward. There were other things about the power train that felt weird as well. Couldn't put my finger on it. Exterior and interior are amazing though. If I were ever to go back to spark plugs in a truck, I'd probably go with the F150 but I don't think I'd choose that motor.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I love truck discussions! LOL!

Diesels will command a much higher price, especially under 75k miles. If you are patient you can find one tho! I would avoid the Ford 6.0L and the 6.4L, so the older 7.3 hasn't been put in a truck since early 2003 and will be VERY hard to find under your parameters. The 6.7's started in 2011 and you could probably find a descent truck, but I don't know what price they are commanding. If you think you want a diesel, do a lot of research as to what rigs were solid for any given manf. I can put you in touch with a guy who knows a fair amount about Chevy, and a whole lot about Dodge (but now owns a Tundra).

For the 1/2 ton market, I think the Tundra and Ford will be the top contenders. I hear people rave about the Tundra and how amazed they are with it's towing abilities and still yield descent mileage. I know a fair amount of fellas who dumped their big diesels in favor of these trucks and are satisfied. I also hear many good things about the Ecoboost 3.5L in the F-150. I'd like to drive one myself. Heck, they're even putting this engine in the Raptor in 2017, which could be considered sacrilege. A topic for another thread. I do believe the Ecoboost requires premium fuel...

If you're not planning on pulling a 7k+ trailer more than 8k miles a year, I would say you would be just fine with a 1/2t gasser. Head to the dealers and drive a few and see what you think. Plus report back your opinion.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:53 am

ecoboost does not require premium. You can run unleaded in it if you want.

Zach, you are right the ecoboost does feel a little "jerky" when driving it. But you will soon get a feel for the pedal and adjust your driving style. My work truck is an ecoboost and it takes a bit to get used to it. Especially when going from the 7.3 to it. The 7.3(in stock tune) requires a lot of pedal input to get it to go. It also has a bit of lag to the turbo compared to the ecoboost. The ecoboost spools very fast. That's where the jerkiness comes from.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I owned a 2010 tundra 4.6 L double cab until last Friday when it got stolen here in the fort. It was a great truck. I toed a 20' boat with it and had no problem and it got around 17 MPG in town. With the double cab it is a little small in back. I have two boys under 3 and with the car seat it was tight with a third person in the back. I know the crew cab has more room and we are looking at getting one of those to replace the truck. I love the truck and it had just passed 110K miles on it and had not one issue.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As far as the ecoboost goes, should I even consider one unless it was turbo-charged? The numbers just aren't there for a non-turbo V6 against a V8, but the turbo matches the V8 in HP and beats it in torque.

I just need to go test drive them. All of them, not just the Fords...Dodge, GM, Toyota, but not Nissan, Nissans are ugly. Like...ugly.

Just in, I was talking to my roofer just now and asked him about it. His company truck is a Dodge, he is replacing all his fleet vehicles with Chevys and he was bragging about the turbo ecoboost in the Ford. So now I'm real confused. Dang it, I'm gonna be spending some time at looking at trucks I think.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:35 pm

all ecoboosts in all fords are turbo. for the f150 you have 3 engine options. the v6, ecoboost v6, and 5.0

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gotcha, I've been looking at trucks and specs all day so everything is running together. It blows me away at the price they are getting for trucks. $30k for a 50,000 mile truck? Wow, I didn't realize the prices of vehicles now a-day.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Yes new truck prices are sky high. And so are used truck prices. My buddy just bought a new colorado and it cost him 37k. And thats a mini truck.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bought a new 2006 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins new at John Elway dodge, I still love the truck. The engine is just solid. 120K now, about 17-19 MPG.

I just now did some repairs, the heater blend door and new front end ball joints (both known issues with Dodge when I bought it new).

$2000 in total repairs in 8 years isn't bad at all.

The truck tows great, I towed a double tow (Camper, boat and Hot air balloon in the truck bed) up from Durango to the ski area at 80mph (break in said to work the engine hard) but the truck hardly even down-shifts going up hill.

I just drove it to the east coast..a very easy drive.

I would buy it again, the only downside is the size..hard to find a parking spot back east.

5.9 ltr engine is great (and no emission control crap either!)

Erik

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just take good notes when you go to look at trucks. Maybe even do a search for "2013 F-150 Ecoboost issues" and see what pops up for each truck. You'll find the worst of the worst, so grain of salt sorta thing, but would give you an idea.

I actually like edmunds.com for research too, but there is a few CO guys who have a youtube channel and they do some cool tests with trucks. Worth a look-see!

Actually, here ya go:
https://www.youtube.com/user/tflcar

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, I went and drove on Friday night. I gotta admit, I was skeptical at first, but the thing impressed me. Granted, I only took it on a 20 minute joy ride, but I did get it on the highway and up to speed. The thing jumped pretty good between 70 and 80 and didn't even feel like it was going that fast. Hell, in the ole Bronc, I'd a been white knuckling it at that speed. But I didn't get out and really crawl over it because I had one of the kids with me and it was getting close to dinner, so I only had a little time.

But I was impressed with it. I'd still like to drive the 5.0 to see the difference, as well as drive the Dodge, GM & Toy products.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like a nice truck. Perhaps even a leveling kit??

Thanks for the report. Keep 'em coming!

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

I've driven a few Ecoboost 150's and was pretty impressed with them. Today I drove a 5.0 for the first time and was sort of disappointed. Maybe my expectations were high?

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This V6 Ecoboost pulled this to Moab with 4 adults, 2 dogs and a full truck bed of gear. Had no problem going 70 the entire way.

ImageImage

Same truck pulled my Bronco on a flatbed with a dirt bike and gear in his bed.

I'm impressed with its capabilities.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, I went and done it. I bought a truck on Monday night, but before I put a picture up you guys gotta suffer through my findings. I read more forums on this and that or why truck A over truck B & C. I did more background checking on all three of the American trucks than I thought I would have. But here goes...I'll probably wander here and there, but I'll tie it all together.

I got to drive the Silverado & Ram, as well as the 5.0 in the F-150. I never went and tried the Toyota or Nissan, the looks alone on those trucks just killed it for me. I mean, you gotta like the look of the truck too, ya know. Both the Chevy and Ram were less impressive, engine wise, than any of the Fords I drove, 5.0 or Ecoboost. I didn't like their pull or the feel that I had in the cab itself. The Dodge, I felt, didn't have the room in the back that the Ford did and there was something about looking out the Chevy's rear window that didn't sit well with me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I didn't like it and the feel just wasn't there for me. I also didn't like the looks of the Silverado as much as the Ram or F-150 either. Every Ram I tried, there was something goofy with the engine. A knock, a tick, a salesman pushing too hard...it was as if people were trying to throw the Dodge off the lot. The Chevy seemed to have a little more umpf to it than the Dodge did but the cabin didn't have as good of a feel. The Dodge's cabin felt better than the Chevy did, but my boys liked the back of the Chevy better of those two. Then I took everyone to go look at an F-150. My boys immediately loved the back seat area. There was more room in it than there is in my wife's Durango. That impressed me. The cabin also seemed more roomy than the other two. The seats in the Dodge were better feeling than either Ford or Chevy, but not by much. The overall cabin feel was best in the Ford though. The 5.0 was definitely a different animal than the Ecoboost. To start with, it just pulled different. The Ecoboost had that immediate quickness to it, where the 5.0 seemed to pull you from your gut. I didn't get that from either the Dodge or the Chevy, if you can imagine what I'm talking about. The top end cruising though, I gotta hand it to the Ecoboost. It was comfortable at high speeds and when you stepped into it at 60 or 70, it really jumped out and stretched it's legs.

The basics is really all I looked at when I was making my decision, engine & transmission feel and cabin fee. All the bells and whistles I couldn't really give two hoots for. I was just looking at what mattered. The superfluous stuff is just icing as far as I'm concerned. But my choice came down to the F-150, and I went with the Ecoboost. I really liked everything about the F-150, from the feel of the truck just sitting on the lot to top end highway speeds with either engine. They both just felt right to me. The rest of the family overall liked the Fords better. The reason I ended up with the Ecoboost is kind of two-fold. First, it was giving me the same power & more torque that the 5.0 was, it was giving more total towing capacity than the 5.0 was, but the bells and whistles on the one I bought just tipped everything into it's favor.

I was looking for something that had the towing package pre-installed and had bucket front seats. Finding the tow package was easy, finding it with the buckets wasn't. I also was trying to avoid buying a black, grey or white truck. Those colors don't appeal to me. The color that I wanted though was the Ruby Red...it is kind of a maroon color, but those trucks all ended up being too high end and out of the price range I wanted to spend. So I was surfing through Autotrader and came across a red one at Carmax. I got to looking at it and it was priced right and the more I looked at it, the more add ons it ended up having. All total, my new truck has the tow package, 3.77 gearing, trailer brakes, electric locker in the rear, bucket seats up front, Sync system, digital gauge cluster with truck & trailer settings, and a whole bunch of other crap that I don't know about yet. I was almost willing to settle on one that was a much lesser truck with similar mileage for about $3500 more until I found this one. I got lucky, because I really wanted a red truck (matches the Bronco) and I really wanted all the superfluous crap that it came with....lol. This is the newest vehicle that I have ever owned that is "mine". The last newest vehicle I owned was my Bronco. Now the ole boy will get to take a brake and only have to shuttle me on Fridays and weekends. I've already decided that Friday is Bronco day.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats Gary!! Please continue to report back. Very sharp looking truck. My first truck was also a very similar red and I loved it.

If you want, there is a thread on CO4x4 about some weak areas on the ecoboost. I don't recall if they are address-able, but I could dig up that thread if you want so you can keep an eye on things.

Thu May 14, 2015 1:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next