[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Sealing a basement
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Sealing a basement  
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Sealing a basement
As some of you know, my house is old. Which wouldn't normally be a problem except the previous owner was a mouth breathing window licker who'd rather cover up problems than fix them. Which leads me to this.

7" of rain this month has finally saturated the ground so much that I have water in the basement. I've tried to track down exactly where it is coming from and have only been able to narrow it down to the north, west, and easy sides of the house.

Most of my down time this week has been spent either digging soil out from the foundation. This is an attempt to get the water soaked dirt away from the bottom plate where it meets the foundation. And now I'm busy removing wood paneling and water soaked carpet from the basement.

Once this thing is gutted, and it will be by the end of the week unless my back gives out, I'd like to have the basement/foundation sealed to prevent future issues. I know I can go buy concrete sealer in the can and apply that. I'll pass. I'm tired enough as is without spending a week rolling that stuff on.

Is there a better, professionally applied product or service I can use for this? Preferably something that allows liability in the event my basement floods again.

Thanks for being my google.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu May 21, 2015 8:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Sealing a basement
I'm no expert but I think you probably need to look for a way to get the water away from the foundation rather than sealing it. French drain is the usual solution but even longer downspouts and making sure the grade slopes away can help. It isn't cheap to retrofit though.

Good luck, it sucks when things like that happen.

Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm already tackling the outside.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm fighting this same battle. The problem I have is that the ground around the house is flat. I have only had water seep in once and that was after we had an hour of driving rain that blew against the west side of the house and pooled on saturated ground. Unlike your situation I know where mine is coming in. I have extended my downspouts 15-20 feet into the yard for now but I plan to go the french drain route. I'm going to have my dad survey the property this summer and then I'll be borrowing my cousin's skid loader. I too am interested in sealing the basement for piece of mind so I'll be very interested in what you find..

Fri May 22, 2015 12:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got decent grade on most sides of the house. It's just been completely saturated.

I did manage to locate three seeping leaks. All along the intersection of the floor and basement walls. All under at least 9' of soil on the other side of the wall.

You know you've had significant rainfall when you've got 9' of saturated soil.

I've surrendered for the night. Half the carpet is ripped out and one wall is missing paneling. Also, moved about 40 boxes out of the basement.

I picked a really bad day to do deadlifts during my workout.

The Terrible One

Fri May 22, 2015 12:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Zach, that sucks. We used commercial roofing/waterproofing companies to seal the foundations on the buildings I worked on. Some would roll on the product, some had a sprayable coating. To really do it right you would need to expose the foundation walls and the top of the footings all the way around the basement. After waterproofing french drain to daylight or a sump with an automatic pump below the top of the footing level. I used a sump with a pump on a switch that I turn on about once a week in the wet season. This could lead to a serious depletion of Bronco funds. If I can answer any questions you can give me a call (719)687-7688.
Mark.

Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Zach,
What we use on building foundations is Damproofing. The company that I use up here in fort collins is Residental Damproofing (970) 635-0265. They have been doing it for years and have see the issues you are having. I would give them a call and just talk to them about your issue. They might even have jobs in your area that they can come take a look at your issue.

Matt

Fri May 22, 2015 8:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I too am enjoying the challenges of water infiltration.

In my case, the ground has settled so much that I have to remove and the sidewalk and the driveway. We also have to dig out around the foundation under neath the he front porch to reveal it.

Anybody know a good concrete guy ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri May 22, 2015 3:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here goes.

The concrete must be sealed from the wet side. Concrete is porous and will absorb water and will eventuAlly leak if not. The only way to do this properly is to excavate and expose the whole wall, seal with one of a number of different sealers (think tar vs thompsons) and install French drains

A possible option would be to re-grade the surface soil and landscape in a manner that will not allow the soil to get this wet again. This however, is not the best or most proper fix.

All this learned through experience gained via a number of years as a home improvements general contractor specializing in basements and repairing issues exactly like this

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Sat May 23, 2015 11:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat May 23, 2015 4:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat May 23, 2015 4:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not to throw another bucket of mud on things, but I'd bet you a box of doughnuts that your water isn't just seeping in through the basement walls, it is coming up from the ground too, under the slab. There are several things you can do: Damp-proofing (i.e. what Rox is talking about), exterior french drain, interior french drain with sump pit(s).

The biggest problem you have is that the ground isn't going to dry out anytime soon and that any rain we do continue to get is going to end up in your basement. Thems is just the facts. But when we do dry out, the only way you are going to stop any of this from happening in the future is to do one, if not more, of the suggestions thrown out. The good thing is you have a strong back and a weak mind, so hard rock labor isn't going to effect ya much... stirpot

let me know if you need someone to supervise and tell you what to do, I am more than qualified to stand around, direct traffic and drink your beer.

Wed May 27, 2015 3:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I ended up having the same issue in my basement. My problem is the water was comming up through my slab. We have been continuously pumping water out of a sump pit hole I cut in my slab. It has stopped the water from coming in but the pit keeps filling with water. I am hoping with adding a sump pump under the slab will fix my problem.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jar Jar, while you have the demo saw, I would recommend that you go and cut a perimeter channel along the outside of the entire slab and run a french drain to a couple of sump pits. We did this on my father-in-law's house years ago and it has kept him from having to remodel his basement 2x in the last 3 years. It may be a royal pain in the a$$ and pocket book now, but it will save you in the long run if you finish the basement. Run the drain in pea gravel and after you pour concrete over it, let it dry and brush non-shrink grout into the shrink joints to completely seal the thing up. I strongly recommend that you put 2 sump pits in.

Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]