[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Introduction, new to Colorado Springs
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Introduction, new to Colorado Springs 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Introduction, new to Colorado Springs
Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I moved to Colorado Springs in August from El Paso, TX. I have a 76 that I have had for about 5 years now. I'm in the Army, so I have been a member of Hawaii Classic Broncos, Mid-Atlantic Early Broncos, and Lonestar Early Bronco Club.

Sorry to mix introductions with problems, but... Isn't that what forums are for?

I recently returned from a deployment and while I was gone I had a home mechanic put in a new engine, rebuild the axles, rebuild the transmission, new painless writing harness, and some other things. He dropped the Bronco off late last night and drove back to El Paso. I drove it today for the first time and I have discovered some issues with the transmission (C4). I am a complete novice when it comes to transmissions. I was really expecting it to just work!

It looks like I don't have 1st gear... With it in drive, it starts in 2nd gear and will shift into 3rd around 35-40 mph. When I stop, it stays engaged in 2nd and will stall out (similar to a manual left in gear, but without the jerking). I can't get first gear even if I move the lever to 1, and it wont downshift to 1st at all. I have reverse and 2nd/3rd.

Any ideas on what it could be? Based off searches and reading I was thinking:
-vacuum (hoses and cable look okay on visual inspection)
-Kickdown cable (couldn't find one)
-shifter linkage (I have a winters gate shifter that worked great before the rebuild)
- maybe some internal component not correct..
-fluid level? (Seems too simple but I havent checked yet)

If I can get it figured out/fixed I will be at the SEP breakfast.

Thanks,

Brian

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Introduction, new to Colorado Springs
Brian, you living on post or off? I'm on the north end of the Springs but will be at work on post tomorrow.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1st - welcome to CCB!!
2nd - Thanks for your service!

3rd - Sorry you had to endure being a member of LEBC (only kidding. The military had us in SA for three years, so I too was a member. Good bunch of folks, just like you'll find around here, just with less twang!)

I don't know much about the slushbox, but we have several guys around here who do. We'll get ya sorted out soon!

Post pics of your rig!

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome to Colorado and CCB.

You should check the easy stuff first, like fluid, but I don't think that is your issue.

Hopefully Viperwolf will see this thread and chime in.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My guess is something is not right in the valvebody. Could be a stuck 1-2 shift valve or possible something was put together out of place. Governor problems would affect 2-3 and 3-2 shifts also.

The only difference between 1st and 2nd is the front band gets applied to stop the direct drum from turning in 2nd. If that band was too tight you would lockup the trans when it shifts to 3rd.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Symptom update: Small progress;

checked the fluid level, it was about a quart short. I filled it up and took the family for a test ride (3 yo, 6 yo and wife). Wife was on video duties.

I can now get to 1st, but it doesn't shift to 1st without me selecting it. If I stop, the transmission stays in 2nd unless I manually select 1st.

If you are bored- I am attaching some video clips of the shifting behavior (hard to tell what is going on) and some misc pics of the vacuum and throttle linkage and lack of Kickdown (I think).

https://youtu.be/WIbQXPqIXQU

https://youtu.be/TJYL8dD0FKw

I am thinking I need to buy a Kickdown cable and see what that does... Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Kids got excited about the Bronco ride and pulled out their broncos:

Not sure how the car made it on there... At least it is a cool car.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The kickdown might help some while driving in traffic but it sure seems like a sticky valve to me.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome!

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, I didn't have much time over the winter to dig into the transmission issue, so I dropped it off with Don at the Transmission Clinic in Colorado Springs two weeks ago. Don (a fellow bronco guy) looked at it and thought the previous rebuild (with less than 200 miles on it) was sketchy (leaky seals, lots of metal in the pan, etc)... So he is rebuilding it again... Smh. Looking forward to having it done right this time. It will be interesting to get a list of things done incorrectly on the first rebuild so i can go back to the shop in El Paso TX and see what they say.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

First off: Welcome!
& B) not sure its been awhile since ive owned a bronco with a C4, but arent you supposed to have a manual kickdown rod on the driver side of the carb?

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm hoping your C4 comes out well built. I was in there a few weeks ago trying to pick up some thrust washers for mine and they stared at me like I was speaking Mandarin Chinese.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the bronco back today. I forgot how nice it is to have a fully functional transmission! Don was great to deal with and it is nice to have his warranty on the transmission (hopefully I won't need it). Time to rack up some miles to shake it out... If only the weather would cooperate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats-- can't wait to have a fully functioning transmission myself!

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome to Colorado.

Hopefully we'll see you at a monthly breakfast.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome! Great looking bronco! See you at one of the meet ups soon!

Zen

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]