[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - ARB vs Yukon Zip Locker, Gears
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 ARB vs Yukon Zip Locker, Gears 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post ARB vs Yukon Zip Locker, Gears
After missing any wheeling this summer due to taking the Bronco apart and never getting it back together I have decided to get my axle swap done this winter. I am swapping to full widths from a '76 F-150 and have a couple questions. Is anyone running a Yukon Zip Locker? I was initially looking at ARB's and the Yukons where mentioned to me. I have seen the ARB video where they destroyed the Yukon locker but this is 4-5 years old and I was told they have a new design for the 9" that was stronger. Anyone have any knowledge on these? Also thought I was set on gears but now I am not sure, thinking 4.56 or 4.88. My rig currently has a 302/C4/D20 and 37's, future plans call for a 351W/ZF5/Atlas and keeping the 37's. Any input would be appreciated.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: ARB vs Yukon Zip Locker, Gears
Go lower than you think you'll need. I'm on 37s with 5.13s and it's about right if I had overdrive.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Agree on the gearing. Go 5.13's and don't worry about it. 4.88's would be a little better on the highway but it's still a little 302. need all the gearing you can get.

Another option for at least the d44 is the auburn ected. It's a limited slip/locker. I wish they would make one for the 9" already.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So how would the 5.13's be once I switch to 351W/ZF5/Atlas?

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm running the same setup you described (351W / ZF5 / Atlas combo with 37" tires) using 4.56 gears.

Personally I wouldn't change anything. Mine chugs along at 2500rpm doing 75mph. If I wanted to be more aggressive, I would switch to 4.88s, but not 5.13s. The Atlas adds so much gearing that I rarely use 1st or 2nd gear on the trail. I'm usually running around in 3,4, and OD. In fact, the ZF5 is so low, that even with 4.56 gears, I was running trails in the San Juans in 2WD HIGH and only selectively using 4-HIGH or the rear locker.

From a strength perspective, 5.13s and up are really shrinking the pinion size compared to 4.88s and numerically lower. Of course I'm also considering reliability from a towing perspective as well. Just keep in mind that a 351W has a lot more low end grunt than a 302 and with a 302 you may have to jump one or two gear sizes to get similar performance.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the feedback on gearing, I think I will most likely go with 4.88's. Back to lockers, I really want to go with selectable lockers and my gut is telling me go with the ARB's. On the flip side the Yukon Zip lockers where mentioned to me and I just thought I would check them out, see if anyone has used them.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

They do have them for the 9": http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-115736 ... ord-9.html

I am really just trying to get an opinion on the ARB vs Yukon. From what I can tell the Yukon is cheaper but not really sure that it is worth it in the strength department.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

[quote="Digger"]I'm running the same setup you described (351W / ZF5 / Atlas combo with 37" tires) using 4.56 gears.

Which Atlas are you running?

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I should have addressed this in my first post. I'd go with the zip locker over the ARB in the 9". You're correct in your statement that they did change the design and strength of the zip in recent years. Primarily better material and machining. I like their air line better than the ARB too. As for the dana 44, ZOSO recommended an electric locker and so do I. I installed one in the front dana 44 of my uncle's full size Bronco on 37s and it's been flawless and perfect. No issues with decently hard wheeling and a much heavier vehicle. I've heard of and personally seen far fewer issues with electric lockers over their air operated counterparts.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will be listing all the axles,wheels, tires etc. once I get further into the process and can ensure everything is what the PO claimed it to be. I will make a note about the front ring pinion and carrier for you cravenbronco.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For gearing, I'd consider your plans with the bronco. Are you going to be cruising it mostly and trail riding occasionally, or will it be predominantly a trail rig? And what Atlas are you considering? I'd be inclined to setup your gears for ideal highway cruising (if you plan to do so) and then get your trail gears from the Atlas.

Lockers - Not a fan of air actuated ones. Electric seem to have a better reputation, but you still have a wire running into the pumpkin that is subject to snagging. However, the air lines seem more apt to breaking due to temp or age. Keep in mind that since you can unlock hubs, you may not have a need for a selectable up front. And with an Atlas, you can pop it into 2wd Low (I believe). I've been out of the game long enough not to know what is available for the 9", but I'd look at a full detroit up front and a good selectable in the rear.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Every rig I have had up to this point I never did the axles or anything, just ran whatever was there when I bought it. That being said picking gears and lockers is a totally new experience for me. At this point the axles are already being built so I will just have to see how I like it and go from there. I found it was kind of hard to figure things out because I plan to swap the engine/trans/t-case in the next 6-12 months after the axle swap. I ended up going with 4.88's and the new version of the Yukon Zip locker for the 9" in the rear and an ARB in the front. Its definitely a learning process. Now that the axles are getting built its going to be selecting tires, I am leaning toward the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro in 37 x 13.50R17.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]