[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Should I change the oil?
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Should I change the oil? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Should I change the oil?
I'm wondering if I should change the oil in my Bronco? The facts:

Bought it fall 2013, had been sitting for 10 years with the oil. Last registration renewal 2003.

Engine has between 70,000-145,000 miles on it...

Engine has either an exhaust leak or something else ticking...

I've only put 500-800 miles on it (speedometer doesn't work) and probably only will put 1000 miles on it this winter.

Oil looks good on dip stick, oil look crappy and black shooting out the exhaust.

I'd like to keep the oil in it for Moab next spring.

I've taken it to the car wash 3x and already gotten rid of the outside engine oil, it doesn't smoke so much going around the neighborhood. The engine oil probably wants to now stay in the engine.

Should I change it now or wait until after the CCB Moab trip?

popcorn

J.E.

Last edited by Unaweep on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Should I change the oil?
If it's good on the stick it's probably okay, there are a couple of oil stabilizers on the market if you want to throw a bottle of that at it.

You should know I'm not a fan of hasty oil changes, I run all my stuff for 7500 miles.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Um did you change it when you first got it? if not then yes change it. otherwise I dont see a need.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Could always take a oil sample to have anylized. I think they cost around 10 to 15 dollars and it would give you an idea of the condition of your engine. Personally, oil and filters are cheap.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:39 am

Like Kevin said oil and a filter are cheap. I would have changed it even before I started it. Cheap insurance.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x3. Oil is way cheaper than an engine. Seems like the peace of mind would be worth the $25 it'll cost you.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's like asking..."Should I change my underwear" after a weekend hunting trip???

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If your really curious about the condition of your engine, the oil sample test could help you there, in terms of metal particle count, etc............but changing the oil is so inexpensive

Maybe you want to consider doing both

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've done a couple of oil tests just for fun. It's a really interesting look at the metallurgy of your engine. I used these guys: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Update: Still thinking about changing the oil, but can't decide if regular or synthetic is best for this engine. I bought the Bronco in 2012, it had sat for at least 10 years.

I did take a sample and send off for the report about a year ago, not sure where the report is now...still looking for it in its unopened envelope.

One factor is what type of rear end seal does this motor have: rope or one piece synthetic? We going to have to take a look before any decisions are made...

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Regular is fine. If you want to go fancy, I will run Motul 8100 5w40 in the Audi, but that's ridiculous overkill for these engines. If you're really interested, go do some reading at bobistheoilguy.com.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd vote just change the oil. But it doesn't hurt to sample it. The trouble with that is that you really need to sample several times to get a baseline for your engine. This is what Blackstone told me several years ago when I was sending in samples for my superduty. It had elevated levels of something, but they said there was no cause for concern until we establish a baseline.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Stop being so cheap and change the oil already. It's 13yrs old. I wouldnt care what the test says. Either cheap insurance and change it or possibly pay for it later with a new engine.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been trying to figure out if this is a real thread or if Unaweep is having fun with us.

Not that I ever thought of doing anything similar.

icon biggin

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Should I change the oil?
I agree just throw in some oil. These engines don't care, I am running regular oil in a stock 302 in my 72 and it had been sitting for over 12 years outside. Runs great.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]