[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Lead tire weights
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Lead tire weights 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Lead tire weights
I went to my local Discout Tire yesterday for a long overdue rotate and balance. Those guys amaze me at how fast they can get the cars in and out.

Tire shops always have trouble getting the stick on weights placed so that they don’t rub the dust shield or caliper.

Yesterday was worse than normal as the lead weights have been replaced with aluminum weights which of course means you need way more weights to get the same result.

Now I have weights protruding through the wheel openings and it looks awful.

The ride really smoothed out and is great but I just wonder if there is a tire shop that still uses lead weights that I could go to get them redone.

Maybe Bob will chime in to tell us if the lead weights have been eliminated due to environmental regulations or still available.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Lead tire weights
Lead weights are easily available. I use them exclusively. You're welcome to have any you might need. If you could tell me what weight sizes and styles you need I could box them and send them to you. Then you just pull 1 of the weights off your wheel at a time and swap them with the corresponding lead weight. Or you can bring it to me and I'll do it for you.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ever try airsoft BB's? Been running them in my beadlocks for years and I can cruise at 70 without issues. Reminds me, I need to order more as I am getting new tires and getting my wheels repaired with lug hole inserts.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh yes I will chime. The “new” weights we have been using are actually zinc. The industry is getting away from lead as a going green initiative. However with that being said. I do stash some lead away for special people. I am off of Hampden and Oneida about 3 blocks east of I 25. I now it’s a little far but can always accommodate. Plus I usually try to do the work myself that way I now what’s going on. Plus I always have a few tricks up my sleeve for balancing.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My schedule was his week is off Wednesday and leave early (between 1-3pm) on Thursday . Other than that I will be there the rest of the week. Eck you might have a bad u-joint on Your drive shaft.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:59 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 am

Bobby,

I will also likely get with you again and see if we can find the tire that's out of round and swap it with the spare. I still get a bad hop in the front from the tires.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I’d say it was a bad U Joint- the question is now what would cause this or is this what a bad u joint “can” look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lack of maintenance...Or when it was installed, a needle bearing or two didn't get in the right position. I'm surprised you didn't hear it screaming!

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

lack of lubrication also extreme load caused by incorrect pinion angle.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I will say I definitely had not lubed it since install (probably at least a few thousand miles). As for pinion angle, I can’t remember the number off the top of my head but I actually clocked the pinion a little better than stock when I installed the leaf spring perches so I’m not sure why that would have caused it. It should be better than most people who run a ZF5/D20 combo....

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've read that over tightening the u-joint straps is a common way to shorten the life of a u-joint. It was surprising how little torque those require. I can't remember the specs now, but it isn't much more than snugged up with an open end wrench. Not sure if this u-joint was at the axle or the t-case.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Mike if pinion angle is to far off it causes extra load on the joint. probably just lack of lube from the point of install.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

See my magic is working already :-)

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Rob, bring it in when you get a chance. Definitely better easier with having the truck there.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe Rob can pick something up for me?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd also call Tom then, if they are his. Not that he would be on the hook to warranty, but at least he'd have some expertise on the subject.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

They were new TW driveshafts and his special gold seal U joints. If I did my math right when clocking the spring perches, my pinion angle is 6 degrees. I’m gonna be taking my Bronco up to CrawlerCreations on Monday to discuss some other future projects so I’ll have him double check my angle and see if I need to get some shims to correct a potential problem.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]