[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Local CB
It is currently Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Local CB 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Local CB
Anyone have a shop they like for a CB? I can do the install. Anyone have a favorite CB or suggestions for features I can't live without?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Local CB
No suggestions, but DO NOT use the shop at Johnson's corner.

Last time I was in there, here is what I was told:

Me: Can I purchase this antennae adapter ($12.00) and return it if it is not the correct one (wasn't sure of my setup).
Owner: Are you kidding me....I'm not here in case you need it...you need to understand I run a business and am not here "in case you might need it".

I politely left without buying the part. Turns out he was steering me way wrong and it was the wrong part! Waste of a drive!

Just my experience and 2 cents.

Matt

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is good to know - I want a CB for trail rides but spending more than $50.00 takes the fun out of it. Think you could mount a CB antenna in the Stock Radio Antenna Hole?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For those that do want something better.................

Summit Radio

5 Star Rating: Highly Recommended 3 reviews

(303) 287-3306

7155 E 53rd Pl
Commerce City, CO 80022

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You might want to look into a "tuneable" antenna. I have heard that having one, and using a SWR meter (I've heard available @ radio shack $15) to tune it, can make a cheap CB work great. Untuned, a great CB isn't so great.

...I haven't done this yet, but I plan to! ... I dont go with many CB people. The guys I often wheel with like those junky hand held units. I feel like its better to just yell out of the window.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm surprised Clay hasn't chimed in on this one yet. I suspect he is a bit of a radio guru. I'd actually had him in mind when I threw out the idea of a tech class specifically oriented towards CBs.

I'm not much of a radio guy myself. I ran a CB in my 97 F150 when I was moving from Alaska to NC about a decade ago. I kept it in the truck for some mild wheeling trips around Fayetteville too. Moved the unit over to my Bronco when I bought it, but it was stolen shortly there after.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Most of my recent radio experience is 2 meter FM (HAM radio). For casual use, I switched from CB to FRS/GMRS about 14 years ago and only get drug back to CB by the Harley guys I ride with (and now you guys).

I do have SWR meters, and at work I have access to a $10k network analyzer that goes way beyond SWR. But I haven't bothered tuning my CB antennas for years. Maybe I should brush up on AM a bit so I can help out when needed.

As for buying a CB, I generally go with a dirt cheap radio so that I don't cry when it's stolen or breaks from the vibration. I personally avoid Midland and Uniden because of past experience, but that's me. I'd avoid radio shack too, but they're just so cheap and plentiful (I get em for $20 on ebay) that I don't care if they only last 4 months. This last one has suprised me and been working great for 3 years now.

If you want a good quality radio and can mount it to dampen some vibration, I would go for a Cobra 29 LTD. I see them on ebay for under $70 but you have to be careful that it's a working unit, not just a parts unit. The cobra 29 has been out in various forms for 20 years so it's well proven. The 29 has auto noise limiting to dampen ignition noise, RF gain to let you pick out the signals you're interested in, and fine tuning to let you hear me on my junk offtuned CB better. You can buy a brand new Cobra 29 for under $100 on amazon.

Whatever CB you get, you'll probably want to buy a better microphone. Stock mics usually provide very poor modulation which results in that muddy sound where you can tell it's a voice and fairly loud, but you just can't understand what's being said.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You like that dime I dropped on you Clay? lmao Sorry. Didn't mean to put you on the spot.

What's up with the GMRS units? Never really heard of those. Better signal quality and range? How's the price compared to CBs?

Maybe I need to do some research. Hmm

Edit: After doing a quick search online, think I'm going to stick with the CB. laughing2

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

FRS stands for Family Radio Service.
GMRS stands for General Mobile Radio Service

CB requires no license - limits transmit power to 4 watts - uses AM - transmits in 26 mhz range
FRS requires no license (like CB) - limits transmit power to 5 watts (1 more than CB) - Uses FM (CB uses AM) - transmits in 460 mhz range
GMS requires an $85 license (no test, just give money) - transmits up to 50 watts - Uses FM - transmits in 460 mhz range

CB supposedly has more ability to transmit when you can't see each other, like on a winding mountain road. FRS and GMRS do best when you can see each other.

AM tends to pick up all sorts of noise, like car ignition, power lines, lightning, or any other electrical noise such as an electric motor. FM is more immune to noise and provides a cleaner sound.

26 mhz tends to follow the contour of the earth where 460 mhz tries to punch through things, that's why CB does better when you can't see each other.

You probably know FRS much more as the little radios that hunters carry in the woods. Every sporting goods store will have a large selection of FRS radios with headsets and even throat mics. I use them when I go skiing or hiking because of how small and convenient they are.

I bought a GMRS license so I could get off of the crowded FRS frequencies and get more power out. I have 10 watt units that we use when travelling by car or bike. We routinely talk 2 or 3 miles apart when driving I-70 and haven't had trouble keeping in touch.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got a set of GMRS radios as well, I don't remember paying that much, it was more like 20 some when I got my license, but that was a while back.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Turns out I've already got a set of GMRS/FRS radios. Uniden GMR638-2CKs. Bought them back when I was moving to CO from NC. Guess I better learn a bit more about them, and avoid the GMRS channels.

The Terrible One

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]