[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Engine building for dummies
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Engine building for dummies 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Engine building for dummies
First, I've never fully rebuilt an engine so I'm hoping I can get a lot of wisdom from the folks here. Closest I've come is I've done the top-end of a 72 Triumph Motorcycle.

I'm going to put out my goals and what I've acquired over the years. What I'm hoping to gain is the knowledge of what questions to ask and what I might be missing.

For those who don't know, I've been rebuilding my Bronco for the past 5 years or so. It has 3.5" lift, with a 1" body lift and 33x10.50 tires. The goal is to be able to drive it around and mild wheeling (really, I jsut don't want to smash any of the metal I've replaced).

I have the following:

351w out of a 97 F-250
Lighting Lower
Explorer Upper (out of a early 97 Explorer)
GT40 Heads
EFI Guy Harness (from whenever we all did them at JGZ's place in Lakewood, was that 6 years ago now?)
Explorer Front Dress

The 351w needs to be rebuilt (or at least, since it's out and been sitting on a stand for 5+ years, might as well). After talking with Garry, I will be getting the Comp Cam 35-349-8. I know I need to get the upgraded valve springs (I need to call Comp Cam to find out what part number it is for the springs).

I will have the ZF5 behind it with the Dana 20. Going with 4.56 gears. Already have the gears and adapter for the ZF/D20. I'll have to figure out the exhaust thing after getting this in. I don't have headers now so I'm thinking it will be a full package of headers and exhaust, etc.

So, my main questions are regarding to taking the block to a machine shop. I just don't know what questions I should be asking them. I'm not needing a learning experience of assembing the engine at this point unless it saves a significant amount of money. I am planning since I need to replace the valve springs to have the heads done as part of this. Obivoulsy just want to bore it out as little as needed.

Also, any recommendations for a shop? I know @landshark recommended Greely Machine (I think that was it) and a few guys have used Western Machine. My main concern is just not knowing enough.

So, what questions should I ask? What have I probably not thought of? And yes, this would probably be a better convo over pizza and beer in the garage than here.

Thanks!

Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Engine building for dummies
This is basically the exact setup that I have. Feel free to give me a call if you want to chat through it. From what I remember- assembling it yourself saves a decent amount of money and isn’t all that difficult. I had my machine work done at MPG in Englewood. I know other guys in the club have taken theirs to him as well.

I’ve got a couple of good engine build books you’re welcome to borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The book "Rebuilding The Small Block Ford" is a real help. I would start by pulling the heads. Then measure the cylinder bores. I have ID mics and dial bore gages to check bore size. Then you will know how much ware is in the cylinders and what size it will need to be bored. You might want to talk to the machine shop and ask what they will need you to bring. If you replace the pistons they will need to be balanced. Also the crank might need reground witch means under sized bearings. From what I have been reading parts are hard to find now. The book "Rebuilding The Small Block Ford" is a real help.
I used Western on my last heads. I have also used Ridge Reamer in Arvada on other builds.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used MPG heads for my block and was not happy. Communication was poor and the job took several months longer than quoted. He also wasn't great about talking through any options.

Today different experience with Western when they did my heads. Great to work with, fast, and really seemed to know their stuff. I was very happy with the finished product as well.

I'll second "Rebuilding your small block ford". It got me through my build and the engine hasn't broken....yet. It saved me $400-ish for the cost of the build, but I mostly did it myself because I wanted the experience of doing it. Firing it the first time was nerve wracking, but so far I'm glad I did.

Glad to talk through my build and experience with it.
Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you want I can stop by and measure the cylinders

Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used MPG for my machine work too. Communication and timeliness we’re issues for me as well. The work seemed good, and I’m sure he knows what he’s doing, but as a first timer, it left something to be desired.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got mine back from Greeley Automotive Machine a month or so ago and very happy with the results. It's the same engine build your doing but had to get cylinders machined out 20 over. Heads were also GT40's and I supplied the spring kit from Alex Parts.

Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Engine building for dummies
I’ve had two motors go through Western in the last 1-3 years and so far I’ve been happy.

The ‘95 roller 351w that is in TFB is essentially your build (and what a lot of local folks are running) with the same recommended cam and using the ‘96 GT heads (upgraded springs and drilled for 351 head bolts). It has the Explorer EFI modded by EFI Guy for induction. I think we’ve got 35k on that setup and it’s been problem free. Some folks did have a couple of problems with a bad batch of roller lifters, but so far we’ve lucked out, I think we used Comp or Crane.

If I were to build the same motor today I think I’d look harder at aftermarket heads. The cost to rebuild a GT40 head to work in this application doesn’t really seem to be worth it.

We did the assembly ourselves, I’m not sure how much money it saved, but I really like putting it all together. It allowed me to check the specs and make some final decisions on upgraded fasteners.

I’d recommend you do some measurements on the combination of parts you’d like to finish with to get a good idea of final compression ratio. By mixing the 351 block, different year pistons and explorer heads you could end up with a lower compression motor. A change of pistons could bring the compression back or machine the block / heads to get compression back.

Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Don't want to hijack the thread but figured this might be a relevant question. What is everyone using for an oil pan? Mine 351W is out of a '95 F150 and the dip stick passes through the block.

Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used the factory pan that came on mine.

Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll look for it. The site shows several kits for the GT40's that are lift dependent.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used a kit supplied by the shop and was happy with it. I did have a little taken off my GT40s, and wound up with slightly high compression. It'll detonate occasionally if I don't run 87 octane.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

FWIW-- I used Alex's Parts -- SB Ford, GT40 Drop In Valve Springs Kit, Hyd Roller .580" Lift (part #VSK7k48). Went to the wesbsite and could not find it though so I am not sure if he doesn't make it anymore or what.

I have the same cam shaft you mentioned above.
Lunati 72335-16 Lifters

Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have had three engines built by Greeley Machine, highly recommend them if you decide to have any engine work done. Using the canton pan on both of my 351w -> 408 strokers.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, good news for me! Bob came by and we measured the bores. Only .002-.003 worth of wear on the block. So, the new plan is to just re-ring it (since I have it apart anyway), replace bearings, swap cam and send it.

For rings, bearings, anything special? Or should I just grab something like this from Summit? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-e-251k Plan is to order the cam from Summit as well unless someone has a suggestion for a better spot.

Will probably dig into this more in the Jan/Feb/March time frame depending on work schedule. Will do it after I get the transmission swap done (you can read up on that in the Project Downward Spiral thread).

Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]