[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Mercury Mystique seat swap
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mercury Mystique seat swap 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Mercury Mystique seat swap
I started with a set of 96? or 97? Mercury Mystique seats. The car was donated to our dealership/volunteer fire department. It will be used as practice for extrication/jaws of life/etc. A coworker took the mass air meter & the tires, I got the seats, an overhead light, sun visors w/lighted vanity mirrors, and the inertia switch from the EFI. The car only had 150,000 miles, the motor was done, but the interior was kept in really good shape, and matches my truck.

Dimensionaly the seats are a perfect fit for the EB. The Mystique is the same car as a Ford Contour, a small/mid size 4 door sedan.

The driver seat was very easy. I didn't take very good pictures during the process. Here is a pic of the installed driver seat.

When I pull the seat again, I'll take some pictures of how I mounted the stock EB sliders to the Mercury seat pan. I still haven't trimmed & mounted the driver trim panel, or hooked up the electric controls. Although I had to cut off some of the motor controls of the driver seat, I retained the inflatable lumbar support & electric seat back control. The motor & pump for those functions are in the seat back, and use a simple 12v switch, no control box.

The passenger seat was way more complicated. Since the seat came from a 4 door car, it had no fold/flip function. I had read that Bronco II passenger seat brackets might work to fold a high back seat forward. I found a local guy with a couple dead BIIs, I took a couple measurements & bought a seat bracket for $20.

It took tons of cutting, grinding, welding, and test fitting but I finally finished it up today. The seat sits off-center to the BII bracket. The bracket is pushed up tight to the trans tunnel & the "step" between the front & rear floor. The seat pan sits over a couple inches of the top of the trans tunnel & rear floor, just like the stock seat. Here are some pics during the test fitting process.

The front "foot" bolts through the floor support channel. The rear of the bracket bolts through the floor sheet metal, I added some big, thick washers to back up the nuts. I added 3 crossmembers to the BII bracket, each flush to the Mystque seat pan. Here are a few pics of the finished bracket, just before painting.

I installed the cushion back, then riveted the seat pan to the bracket.

Finished by installing the bottom cushion & trim panel. Then bolted it back into the truck. Hopefully for the last time for a while.

I still need to clean up some loose ends, I'll post up more pics of the driver side when I can.

Chad

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Mercury Mystique seat swap
That is soooo smooth - love the way the seat moves forward to allow people in the back and have a center console. Really turned out nice.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks,

It turned out great, better than expectations. Really, I didn't expect to be successful with my first attempt. I really count myself lucky that the BII bracket worked out. Living in the sticks = limited resources. Funny, I owned an 85 BII, in highschool, and remembered the bracket. That truck was a piece of crap. My seat bracket may be the best thing to happen to a BII in a long time. The seats are the best thing to happen to the interior of my Bronco, ever. Now I may have the excuse to get carpet & do something with the inside of the top, doors, and quarter panels.

The seats are super comfortable, some side bolster, but not a racing seat by any stretch. I haven't moved the driver seat, the lumbar is pumped up a little high for my taste. It was an old woman's car, I'm guessing osteoporosis. Really, I'm probably just used to slumping over into my whipped stock seats. The velour may not stay so nice, long, but there are a few seat cover options out there, maybe something to match a back seat.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's pretty sweet Gunni. I really like the way the passneger seat folds forward. Jayson

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

nice work for sure. Those seats look comfy. This is one of my future thoughts plans for mine. I was thinking some Eddie Bauer Leather seats from an exploder or something.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]