[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - EFI conversion questions - lots of random ones
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 EFI conversion questions - lots of random ones 

Post Re: EFI conversion questions - lots of random ones
That should be fine.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks again. We are slow at work so I've been tinkering away at my truck this morning.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think everything is in running order. There are lots of loose ends, and I have to mount the computer & deal with the excess wire. But I think I have wired & plumbed everything so it should be able to start & run.
Today/tonight I built a new MAF support bracket, finished wiring, plumbing & mounting the pumps & accumulator, made the final connections to the RJM harness- + start & run, + start only (to the starter solenoid "S" post- right?), battery + terminal. I also zip tied everything up, but some isn't permanent, I'm going to rewire the truck completely after this EFI swap, so somethings were done with that in mind. I did improve my battery ground (2g winch wire w/copper terminals) & grounded my alternator directly to the frame, and also ran a good jumper from the body to the frame too.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

vroom vroooommm!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Rox Crusher asked if I could take some pics of my TPS sensor, apparently 96 Explorers had a special throttle body that clears hoods better. I put some clay on to measure clearance & here is a pic, no problem I'll cut out my hood to the size of my old school bubble. But my body mounts are trashed, the cross members under the driver & passenger feet are bent (like the truck was jumped), and the front passenger mount was missing all together. And the rubber mounts are still original, and quite squashed. So your results will vary.

My oil fill neck is very close as well, so I may use my F250 valve covers, they have a short neck.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got any pics of your return fuel into the tank. Thanks Dack.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great info, I would have damaged that sensor the first time I shut the hood.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 pm
The '96 throttle body has the vent tube installed also although it's angled the wrong direction. Easy to turn it. The later throttle bodies still have a boss for the tube. You just need to drill it and set a tube in.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! fire fire

ITS ALIVE!

Made some final connections, primed the fuel system with the LP pump, then turned the key and after about 10 seconds of cranking, she fired up. I only let it run for a couple seconds, the check engine light stayed on.

I'm going back to the shop this evening to do a self test, time it, and hopefully do a KOER test.

What a great way to end the work week.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats Chad !

You pulled this off without any major hiccups !

Can't wait to hear it purring like a kitten...........scratch that.............SCREAMING LIKE A MOUNTAIN LION IN HEAT !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

One hiccup, it rained antifreeze on my parade.

When I got back to the shop, I first tried a self test. After getting frustrated with the insane blinking light, I decided I'd just start it, let it warm up & get it timed. It fired right up, idled a little high for a few seconds, then began to drop the idle. That is when I noticed the water.

I have a significant water leak at the back of my intake manifold. So a few questions:

What do I do with the fuel rail? How do I depressurize it so I can pull it off?

Should/can I attempt to reuse the intake gaskets?

Fire away with advice on how to install an intake manifold. I followed the instructions included with the felpro gasket, torqued using a sequence I found on CB.com. Used a little Great Stuff at each end of the cork gaskets, but not on the intake runner gaskets, or on any bolts. I've never had a water leak like this before.

I did decipher my chicken scratches & come up with a code or two:

The first KOEO self test code seems to be 15-EEC permanent Read Only Memory (ROM) test failed. Sounds real bad.
2nd code 22- BP sensor out of range, I have another BP sensor I can swap in

Beyond that, I can't make anything out. I thought about taking a video of the CEL sequence, but had already torn it apart to deal with the water leak before I remembered to do the test again.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:43 pm
Congrats.

Codes first. #15 you can ignore. It gets generated when power is cut to the ECM. Clear codes by starting the code collection process then unplug ground to STI and it will go away. #22, make sure BP is plugged in and has no vacuum line on it.

Fuel depressure. Pull the fuel pump fuse or relay when idling. This will generate fuel circuit code.

I don't know about re-using intake gaskets. They don't seem to come off in one piece for me. I wouldn't use the cork end pieces. Just RTV across the end rails. Take a good look at the water ports and gasket holes. Some gaskets don't work with all ports.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, I'll check the BP sensor connection, there is no vac line run to it.

The truck won't run, I've pulled the upper already, is there another way to depressurize? I won't be working on it till tomorrow PM at the earliest.

When I installed my Edelbrock Performer 4bbl intake, I never could get the valley to seal, untill I used the cork end seals. So I figured I use them this time. The problem isn't at the end seals, it seems to be at the back passenger water port. It poured out pretty bad.

Should I use some Great Stuff around the water ports?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:35 pm
By tomorrow the pressure will be long gone. You could use a thin layer of RTV around the water ports. I think when you take it off you'll be able to see exactly where it was leaking. I ended up using studs in place of bolts in my intake to help align the intake with the heads.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool, I'm hoping the motor didn't run long enough to stick the gaskets down. I was just reading about using studs to align the intake.

I looked at my old intake gasket & it didn't look like I used any RTV, except at the end of the cork end gaskets. I'll see how things come apart & go from there. I may buy a spare gasket set before the parts stores close tomorrow (nothing open on Sunday here). If the new intake gaskets have the EGR openings, should I do something to stop the exhaust gases from getting to the throttle body? Install a threaded plug in the upper intake?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 pm
Yeah if you're not using EGR you should plug it somewhere. The exhaust only comes from one head. If you look at the intake holes you'll see which side it is. Either plug it at the intake gasket or at the upper/lower.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks

Since I haven't removed the lower intake, I think I'm going to try retorquing it first. I have a tool at work to pull a vacuum on the coolant system & fill it with the vacuum. If it doesn't pull a vacuum I'll know I have to pull & reseal the intake.

Any input on reusing the gaskets would be appreciated, assuming they come off in one piece. I only ask because these gaskets won't be available locally till Tuesday probably, not to mention they aren't cheap. Plus, I'd rather not deal with blocking off the EGR if I don't need to.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was able to find an intake gasket set listed for the 74 Bronco this morning. I'll get back to this this afternoon or probably tomorrow. Today a carpenter friend is coming over to help me "finish" adding a floating floor to my living room.

Burntfish here is a pic of the barb into my main tank, not much to see here, it wasn't easy to get the flash to light things up right:

Looks like I found the source of the gas smell around the truck, thanks for asking for the pics.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:43 am
Here is a thread on CB about adding a return port to a stock tank sender: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... p?t=158610

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys,

edited, I need to read more better.

I'm still pretty stoked the thing fired right up and seemed to run nice, before the waterworks started. I'll try to find some copper spray gasket stuff. No Toyota dealer, but I did grab a new can of Great Stuff. So I have enough to do the end gaskets w/RTV, since that seems to be the recommended way. We'll see how this goes, one step at a time. I'll be checking for vacuum from here on out, before filling & starting. And I already planned an oil change at the end of all this.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet thanks, I'm curious where mine is sitting.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The good news, it wasn't something I did. The bad news, I've got to block off the EGR port now.

The 1250S3 gasket left a small gap around 1 water port on each side. I took some pics & will post them later.

If anyone can post links or info how to easily plug the EGR port, please do. The only thing I found at the hardware was a 3/4"x10 plug that might have worked, but no tap. I'm planning on returning this evening & installing the lower intake with the stock 74 intake gaskets, so I'd like to put the plug in the upper.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Man, you are sooooo close to vroom vroom

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:56 pm

grease or vaseline on the o rings will help a lot. I always use a little grease on mine when I change them on my car.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next