[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Odd backfire sound from EFI motor ....Updated to HELP!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Odd backfire sound from EFI motor ....Updated to HELP!!! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Odd backfire sound from EFI motor ....Updated to HELP!!!
The good news is my York compressor install is almost done. But when I was putting it all back together, I let it run to warm up and top off the radiator. While letting it do this, from no where it developed a back fire. It is not perfectly consistent. I was not messing with any of the mechanics of the motor at all... just the belts and accessories.

Any ideas what could cause this? This is the only issue holding it back from being up and running. If you want to come by and take a look, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by rtreads on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Odd backfire sound from EFI motor
I am curious to what this is. I dont know when I could take a look at it. I am slammed between work and school now.

I can give you some things to check, like vacuum hoses and timing. I cant think of anything else right now but know there is some other things to check with EFI.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have checked time and it is at 10*. The weird part is that I didn't mess with any of the mechanics. I didn't touch the dizzy, plug wires, ect. I had it running fine and then this back fire developed as it was idling.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have been thru this thing over and over. It has stumped me as to why its doing this...

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Would the battery beind dead for 2-3 weeks change this situation any? I left the laptop plugged in and it drained the battery. The computer would have not see the appropriate voltage for about 2+ weeks.

Is it in some learn mode and I should just let it run it out? It has the standard A9P mustang computer.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not sure how refined they were back then but I know the newer computers do go through a learning process to adjust all the fuel trims and such. You might be onto something. Is it more of a stumble or stutter or is it actually popping through the exhaust or TB?

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The battery being completely dead will kill the EEC's stored data and it may have forgotten all of your Bronco-specific engine perameters. It may be tuned using the factory defaults of a 5.8L with stock intake, at sea level, with a bunch of emission control which I doubt you're running. I'd drive it a little and see if it clears up as it learns.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds like an issue for our own dr. phil, he of viperwolf fame!

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I just started it again. I figured screw it I was tired of loosing sleep over it. I fired it up and there was a back fire. I let it run for a couple seconds then revved it a little. Sure as $hit the back fire went away!!?!!!?

Now a tap/tick sound are noticeable. While it was running, i sourced it to a valve cover. I put my hand on the cover and you can feel something hitting the underside! I would bet its a rocker.

So the question is.... Are they oil filled lifters and it just needs to run? Or am I way off and there is internal damage some how? Are the rockers loose? I don't know much about how to work on valves, rockers, and lifters.

I hope someone can shed some light as to what is happening.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Yes lifters need to pump up with oil. Do a leakdown test and compression test. If you can pull the valve cover and inspect the springs/rockers/pushrods.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:48 pm

now that you mention it when was the last time it was started? sounds like a stuck valve/lifter.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Odd backfire sound from EFI motor ...updated to HELP!
I pulled the valve cover and this is what I found. 2 rocker arms twisted out of place, a proven pushrod, and a bent pushrod.

It looks like the small dome end came off the exhaust pushrod, letting the rocker float and twist around. I have no ides what bent the intake pushrod?

What do I do now? I was thinking I need to order 2 new pushrods, and a rod guide since is worn a little. I have no idea how to work on valve train. The current parts are from comp cams, so that's where I was going to order replacement. Unless otherwise suggested? Have any tips on this repair and how to? Any help would be appreciated GREATLY!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Odd backfire sound from EFI motor ....Updated to HELP!!!
I think that is a great idea.... anyone have a loaner scope, or know where rents them? Napa and advance do not have them for rent.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Its a little far... I'm in Highlands Ranch. I really appreciate the offer. Maybe I can grab it from you tomorrow or this week sometime?

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is there anyone that knows about valve train, that want to help me put this back together before the breakfast? I would love to be able to drive it again!

...beer, food, $, you name it!

I am ordering 2 new pushrods and a guide from Comp Cams today!

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:54 pm
I think the weld could have broke on the one pushrod and the flopping rocker could have caused the other pushrod to get bent. Definitely put a scope in it if you can though. How many miles since valves were touched?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I cant say exactly. I bought it with this motor.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have had about 4 different Ford engines do this to me, including the 400 in my 81. It didnt bend, but it fell off. My FE it had 3 bent pushrods, and I just put new on there and ran it, it wall all ok afterwords. I hope a piston didnt hit your valve, thats not an interference engine (if I remember right) but it is still possible, usually they can pop off after the engine has set for a long time, or if it is over revved the rocker floats and that allows the pushrod to fall off.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya that is what I am thinking too. If all goes well tonight, I will be at the breakfast on Saturday.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So my help tonight for installing the new rods bailed... Can anyone direct me to a source of how to do this? I would like to get it running for the breakfast.

Thanks!

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 pm
Pull the old ones out. Loosen the nuts. Put the rocker on the valve tip and pushrod. A little dab of grease on the contact points is good. Tighten the nut until the pushrod can no longer move up and down. It may be able to spin but no up/down. Tighten nut another 1/2 turn. That should put the piston inside the lifter in the center of it's range of motion. Make sure to inspect everything for cracks or damage first.

Also put that cylinder at TDC on compression stroke first. You can use the cylinder before it in the firing order to determine stroke then add 90 degrees turn to the crankshaft.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the directions everyone. I spent some time reading up on this too. It seams really simple. I didn't get to it tonight, but I will for sure tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I hope by this time tomorrow I have taken it for a test drive and it all checks out.

Thanks again everyone!!

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I successfully swapped out the bad rods and guide. It's back up and running!!

Thank you!!!

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad you got it handled, wish I could helped, but im slammed between school and working. Them pushrods can be frustrating for sure.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]