[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Engine swap info
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Engine swap info 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Engine swap info
I posted this in chat as well, I am looking at yanking the 289 out and dropping in a larger FE block. Has anyone done or know someone who has done this type of conversion?

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Engine swap info
Don't know anyone that has swapped in an FE block into an EB. I really like the 390 in my F250 but I don't think I'd want the motor in my Bronco. Longer/wider/taller along with the added weight (170# +/-) might be a bigger issue than the payoff in added torque. IMO a 351/5.8 W would be a better choice for a swap. I'm sure it can be done but I would ask, why an FE? I think the FE is a great motor BTW.
Mark.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The FE - because I need some more power and I have the 428 set up for a standard trans, I figure a body lift for clearance and stripping down the top half of the motor and replacing the stock heads and intake w/ aluminum. This should address the weight issue. My problem is motor mounts (I could fab those) exhaust and cooling. Lets face it there is not a whole lot of room to stuff a radiator capable of keeping that thing cool and gutting the front core support is in my thinking going to weaken things a bit. And the exhaust -------- the headers would have to be short a tight fit and sucked up to the block. FE's are not that popular to be able to order something of the shelf for this type application (frame width 26" approximate) Anyway if anyone has tried a bigblock swap, I would like to hear how they overcame some of these problems. You are probably right stick with the smaller block engines 302, 351 and just pump them up a little more.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't know of anyone personally. Awesome engine but quite a bit heavier than even a 351W....not to mention all the already-mentioned headaches.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... p?t=183288

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the link!

Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:40 am

Just a thought from a lurker... : )

Sell the 428 for major $ and build an engine that weighs a ton less and is cheaper.. a stroker based Windsor. 393 is almost as cheap to build as a 351W.

You will end up hating the weight up front with the big block... .02

Good luck

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would sell the FE also and build a monster 400M you will get a lot more for your buck with the M than you will with any other engine if you really want torque.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm gonna go through the 428 anyway, get it to the machine shop and consider my options. I am confident I can get around the weight an cooling issue's and I am fond of the big block fords. The FE provides a unique option so far as motor mounts, they will mount on the side or, If you have the plate and the bell housing on the front of the engine - More options for exhaust. Anyway thanks for the input., I'll update this regularly when I actually lay hands to metal and start.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]