[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Lets talk steering!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Lets talk steering! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Lets talk steering!
I have the 76 Y type steering and I have the D44 out and most of the TRE's are pretty much toast after 100K+ miles and 30+ years. I have been looking at replacing them however I just had a bit of sticker shock...

A direct replacement for the Y type of steering linkage from one of the vendors is running $339.99 +

pretty much the same if i convert over to the T style..

This seems a bit excessive as far as price goes.. I dont think my 1 ton crossover steering on the fullsize was anywhere near this price.. matter of fact I think with chevy 1tons TRE's and the DOM it came out to $240 - granted we did the welding and what not.. but still..

Anyway, my question is.. this truck will be getting a 2.5" suspension lift and 1" body lift and see almost no trails.. does it REALLY matter which steering setup is on the front end? I hear people rant about how well the inverted Y is on the street and makes sense.. but what if I convert to a t-style does it really matter? I guess the price difference is a mute point as they are about the same.

As long as the trackbar and drag link are parallel and close to being the same length my steering should be good correct? I'm looking for a GREAT daily driver not a flex machine.

I guess I should stick to the Y-steering setup, but again the price seems crazy.. especially for the little TRE's that are stock! Any advice?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Lets talk steering!
I use my EB for a daily driver, but it is also built to hit the trails. When I completely rebuilt the front end, I went with the Stone Crusher setup. It's heim joints on all three positions (L & R knuckles & the pitman arm). It completely resolved any bump steer I had, was simple to put on and also eliminated the need for a steering stabilizer. If it were me, I'd go with it again in a heart beat. The only problem you are going to have with it is that the knuckles have to be drilled out for the bolt that is used rather than the tapered studs used by TREs. You can also go with either TRO or stock like with a TRU. The road manners are excellent and I haven't had any binding issues. Some folks don't like the idea of heims on the steering, the argument is that they fail, but Andrew at SC has had them on his EB for a long time, several guys on CB.com do too, & I have had mine for around 30k miles with nothing of issue.

http://www.stonecrushersteering.com/

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think it's wise to upgrade for you. I am very happy with my chevy 1 ton TRE setup. I would get away from anything stock bronco, even if it's just a street machine. It's one thing if you're restoring to all original, but there are much better setups out there for someone who doesn't have to have it all OEM. Stone crusher and my setup are nearly the same except the ends...

J.D.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well iam going to keep the truck pretty close to stock and restore it a bit, very mild upgrades here and there for reliabilty and safety but over all if need be it could be returned to factory stock with little trouble.

Also I dont think chevy TRE's will fit on the knuckles without new knuckles, wheel spacers or other things..

Right now I think iam going to convert over to the T style with the common TRE ends as they tend to be more well common and cheaper. If needed I could find them locally if I had an emergency or hit a curb etc...

I don't think the differences are that much to really justify sticking with the Y type... If i go and sell it i doubt someone is going to freak out over not having the original Y steering.. they could easily swap it..

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Chevy 1-tons are stout and probably overkill for an average rig. I think they fit the stock knuckles, you just have to ream them out to a larger taper, with a special tool. I did mine on F150 knuckles, so I can't say for sure. Many guys ream from the top of the knuckle & swap the tie-rod over the knuckle for added clearance, again overkill if you aren't going to really wheel it. The t style is a better set up than the y, for sure.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

"Also I dont think chevy TRE's will fit on the knuckles without new knuckles, wheel spacers or other things.."

You may need only 1/4" spacers to clear the TRE's, depending on your wheel back spacing but upgrade now and never look back. Also the Chevy TRE's are available at just about any part store across the nation (in stock). They will give you great strength and rang of movement over Hiem joints. You will need to ream the knuckles however, and building the links is easy once you have all the inserts and hardware. Its all in how you use it.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya i have the chevy TRE's on my fullsize, however I want to keep the 76 pretty close to stock so I will probably switch it up to the T style.. a quick search around here and I see the TRE's for the 75 and earlier broncos are plentiful locally...

;)

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Landshark - those little LED Offroad lights look awesome!

I would LOVE to get the Stone Crusher Steering this Winter - maybe a Mass Group Buy? Sounds like the perfect setup, easy install, sweet looking black powdercoated finish, heim ends, can install over knuckle, etc.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, the Dually LED's are awesome! I bought a set wide beams for my truck and I am probably going to sell my truck, so I need to figure out what to do with the pair I have. I could put them on the bronco, but I want a true flood beam for that, not a low & flat beam.

J.D.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

the funny thing is I have used those lights on the front in the last year a total of maybe 4 times.. glad I had them, but i dont do much night wheeling.. they get used in the summer for camping however.. and man they can light up some stuff in moab on a dark night...

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]