[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Quick Gear Oil question
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Quick Gear Oil question 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Quick Gear Oil question
I'm going around checking fluids for tomorrows trip and I was a little low in the transfer case. I have been putting in Coastal 80W-90 but ran out. I was at Adv. Auto and couldn't find the correct weight in that brand so I got Valvoline 80W-90 (it does say "limited slip"). It shouldn't matter too much...right?

Thanks.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Quick Gear Oil question
Yup you're fine. You could mix just about anything in there (except, maybe, vegetable oil) and be OK as long as you remained relatively close to the original spec weight. Lots of people actually run 50w oil in the t-case and this is what Ford suggested during the earlier years of the Bronco.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think Ford changed over to an 80-90 reccomendation sometime around 1974. I had thought it was closer to 1971, but could be wrong about that date. My understanding of the conventional wisdom it is that the 80-90w gives a little more protection and the 50w gives a little better mileage.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I dunno. All the stuff I've read talks about SAE 50w non-detergent, which would limit you to just the racing oils. I've always just used gear oil and called it done, so I haven't looked into it much beyond what I've said above. I could definitely be wrong about that. The notion of using something that light made me nervous, especially since the Dana 20 wasn't really designed with 35" tires in mind.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:57 pm
It doesn't take much to lube the D20. I rebuilt one that was run with auto trans fluid in it and it was in good condition. Really clean inside too. I still don't recommend it though. Impossible to keep it from leaking.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]