[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Explorer swap
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Explorer swap 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Explorer swap
I know this topic has need addresses many times but..... What are the years of explorer engines that are good for engine swaps. I checked stadium and they have a lot of explorer engines that are relatively inexpensive in comparison to other motors I have found locally. Need some help on deciding if I'm gonna pull the plug on this project.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Explorer swap
I would suggest that the 96 Explorer is the best as some of it's EFI parts are shorter which helps with clearance to the hood

don't get one 99 or later as that is when they went to 14 lbs injectors

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 am
The '96 motors are good for several reasons. Shorter throttle body/TPS, GT40 not GT40P heads, more sensor connector compatibility with mustang style harness, 19 lb injectors.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:02 pm
Still a good motor for a swap. Just not as many Bronco-friendly pieces. Sometime in '97 the GT40P heads appeared. Could cause problems fitting manifolds or headers.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As Viper said, 97 is a cross over year for the GT40P stuff.

You can identify a P head motor easily
- the head will have 4 vertical bars cast into the front of the head
- the exhaust manifolds will be tubular as opposed to cast iron

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My 96 Explorer motor (non P heads) had tubular headers- ugly MF's, but tubular. The non P heads will have 3 horizontal bars (I think). There are headers out there that will fit the P heads, and the P heads are slightly better than non-Ps so don't let that be a deciding factor.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is there any issues with theEGR in the manifold as compared to not. Stadium auto parts has tw scribes with A grading for quality. I'm considering this. What do you think?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:50 am
If you don't plan to use EGR, and most people don't, it doesn't really matter. It's easy to plug the EGR port in the intake. If you do want to use it the earlier ones with the internal EGR are better.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found a 96 explorer engine. Unsure if it has harness. Seller wants 350$ for it. He stated around 140k on it. Is this motor gonna be more trouble than it's worth? Maybe Phil and I could take a trip to look at it and maybe we can piece something together.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is not a bad deal as long as it has the intake, sensors, etc, and the motor isn't whipped. I'm no expert on how to examine the motor to see how "good" it still is. The Explorer harness will not really work, as a whole, it is for an OBDII motor with many,many more sensors than the Mustang ECU you will use. The main connector to the Explorer ECU will not connect to the Mustang ECU, and would be a lot of work to try to rewire, especially figuring its 15+ years old. If the harness is available, grab it. If any of the sensors don't match the RJM/Mustang harness, you can transplant the Explorer pigtails to the Mustang harness. A couple of my Explorer sensors did not match the RJM harness I bought (TPS, IAB), but each motor seems to be different, which style sensors it has. If the harness is not available, the individual pig tails are available from NAPA, RJM, etc. Good luck.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is the only added benefit to the explorer engines the gt40 heads. Wou.d it just be better and easier to use a mustang engine?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Exploror=GT40 heads, GT40 intake manifold, slightly better camshaft, excellent alternator, clutch fan, and the whole front serpentine (waterpump, timing chain cover, fan, alt, etc) set up is shorter than the Mustang accessories and fits behind the radiator better. Explorer used coil packs instead of a distributor & coil, but you just add a Mustang/Tbird/Cougar (there are others too ?Crown Vic, Continental? please check first) dizzy and coil, they are very easy to find.

The 96 model has the internal EGR (easily deleted) and a TPS that is small/short and fits nicely under our hoods, too. If you can get the throttle cable, it can be used pretty easily too.

I don't know about the Mustang alternator or if it has a clutch fan, serp set up may be too long for a Bronco. No GT40 stuff. Does have a dizzy.

Its not that much extra work, and you have the support of one of the best guys around (Viper), so don't worry about it. Get that Explorer motor if it looks like it hasn't been abused. They are motors that should last 200,000 miles.

Scratch that, you have the support of THE BEST GUY around (Viper).

Chad

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It is really overwhelming till you get stuff in your hands and start getting advice. You can read a bunch here:

http://oldfuelinjection.com/

It will all start coming together as you read and tinker with an actual motor. Seeing the finished product in person and asking questions will help a lot too. I just finished putting an Explorer intake/EFI harness onto my stock 302 motor, but I chose to do it that way because my motor is fresh and a few other reasons. Otherwise I would have done the Explorer swap. Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions, in addition to Viper there are a bunch of guys here who have done this swap, or are doing it right now. They are all happy to help. I owe lots of my EFI success to this club.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info. Ill read the link you gave me. I'll get the motor from the guy if it's not a piece. I assume all the accessories that would be on it would be worth more than the price I would be paying.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've seen Explorer front dress sell for that much, you are right.

There is a TON of info on the website, you'll read & re-read it over and over.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 pm
Sounds like a good deal if it's complete and in good shape. The front accessories and timing cover regularly sell for about $250. The intakes are probably worth another $100. That makes the rest of the motor and EFI parts practically free. If it has a flexplate and starter grab them too. Your C4 flexplate is the wrong balance and the explorer one will work. Starter is PMGR type (smaller and more powerful).

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If it still has the 4R70W transmission I would love to have you grab the dipstick tube and dispstick for me

I will of course pay you for them

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sure thing I will ask him. It will probably be Tuesday before I can get down to look at it.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]