[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Front disc brake conversion
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Front disc brake conversion 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Front disc brake conversion
I'm going to do the front disc brake conversion in the next month or two, so I want to start a thread to keep all of my notes and findings.

I'm leaning towards the Chevy conversion for cost and ease, but I'm not opposed to the Ford conversion if that turns out to be easy and affordable. Between knuckle, ball joints, alignment, etc I'm just nervous about getting it right and spending too much on the Ford conversion.

The last time I was at the u-pull-it place here in the Springs, I saw a blazer with the spindles and backing plates but I wasn't sure if it was the right year. I also saw a full size Bronco with the hubs and what looked like brand new rotors (again, unsure of the year). Of course, that Bronco also had full knuckles and spindles if I wanted to go that route.

One of my front outer axles is a short one, so I'm going to have to get a different on to swap it out.

Here's my parts list so far:

Donor Chevy
Per classicbroncos.com - '72-76 Blazer/Jimmy or 1/2 ton 4x4 truck

2 Spindles
2 Backing Plates

Donor Ford
Per classicbroncos.com - 78-79 Ford Bronco or 76-79 1/2 ton 4x4 truck
Per motormans madness - 76-85 Fullsize Bronco

2 Hubs
2 Rotors if they're cheap and look really good, otherwise I'll buy new

Other acquisitions

1 Outer axle from a newer Bronco to match spindles

New purchases

2 Chevy calipers - for a 75 Blazer
2 sets of brake pads - for a 75 Blazer
2 sets of flexible brake hoses - for a 75 Blazer
2 Spindle Bearings
2 Spindle Seals

2 sets Inner and outer wheel bearings (BR35/BR37) - for a 79 Bronco
1 disk brake master cylinder - for a 79 Bronco
Bronco Driver recommends master cylinder from 76 F-250 2wd 390ci Camper Special
2 Hub Seals - for 79 Ford Bronco

Banjo bolts (7/16-20X1-1/16")
Brake fluid

Any comments are certainly welcome. I'll keep changing this first post to be as accurate as I can.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Front disc brake conversion
Clay, this is a great upgrade. Plenty of write-ups to follow that have the years and models you seek.

My biggest issue when I did this on my '74 back in the day was I got the wrong BRAND of calipers. You DO NOT want the Bendix ones, you want Cardone.

See my thread here:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... one&page=2

With the wrong calipers, your brake line gets bent over on the radius arm bushings and cuts the line. I had to do a trail one time without brakes because of this.

I used many article, but the one I primarily used was from CB.com. They have since changed it, but here's a link.
http://classicbroncos.com/tech/chevy-di ... conversion

I think I have some hard copies of all my stuff if you want it...

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I went the Ford route on mine. I ended up getting everything from a '78 Bronco from the knuckles out for $75 by emailing every person on Craiglist who was selling a Dana 44 and asking if they'd part out just the stuff I needed. Only took about 2 weeks before I found someone. I think the Ford conversion is a bit better, but not much. The main advantage is that they have a larger hole in the knuckle for the axle and u joint to pass through, so you can run larger than stock u joints or take out a badly mangled axle more easily. Not a big advantage if you don't do much wheeling. I've heard that the later knuckles are also stronger, but don't have any concrete info either way on that one. The alignment is easy. I did mine in my garage with a measuring tape and a pair of straight edges. The main thing that is a pain in the butt is getting the ball joints pressed in if you install new ones, but I'm guessing we've got a couple of people who'd do it for you.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I actually had a folder dedicated to this. But maybe this will save you a trip. Here's the articles I printed:
http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=261592 (Pictures are gone)

http://www.emotoman.com/disc/discbrake1.htm

The CB.com linked above and another from mcguill.com which appears to no longer registered.

You are welcome to come and get everything I have. Just don't want it to be a waste of your time.

J.D.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If we get a nice day in the next week or so, maybe I'll take you to lunch at Johny Too's (or whatever it's name is). I like taking a lunch ride out that way.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Frankie's Too?? LOL!

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That list that is from Motoman (Greg Banfield if I remember the guy's name right) is the exact one I used. Pretty straight forward swap & you can literally do it in under 3 hours.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Depending on when you do it I may be able to come down and help you do the swap.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd recommend the Ford setup over the Chevy, mostly because of the larger hole in the knuckle. If you watch Craigslist, you can buy a complete Ford D44 for pretty cheap and use all the parts off it, including the axle shafts themselves, especially if you haven't updated to the larger x760 U-joints. I also think the Ford brakes work a little bit better, and I have run both conversions on the same rig, all other parts being equal.
Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:22 pm

I just completed a disc upgrade from a 76 f 150. Got the entire front end for a hundred bucks, lucky. It wasn't too difficult to do. If you want any input or help, I would be available.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 pm
Profile YIM
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had completely forgotten that I'd have to do the whole "tie rod over" change if I go with the Ford conversion. I'm still leaning towards Chevy conversion.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You don't have to do the tie rod over conversion, although the tie rod sits a little lower with the later ford parts. The knuckle spacing on the Ford stuff is also a little wider. I was able to adjust my tie rods for it, but your mileage may vary. Really, the main benefits for the Ford parts are the ability to used tougher parts and changing broken parts. If you're not 4 wheeling hard, the Chevy swap is easier. May want to check or replace your ball joints as long as you've got it disassembled. Also, I'd budget for new wheel bearings and get those in as long as you've got it torn down.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You don't have to go with a TRO swap, but I think you have to use an adapter sleeve (BCB sells them) to fit the Bronco tie rod end into the new F150 knuckle. When I did my disc brake swap, my tie rods were whipped, and I bought the shortened F150 tie rod set up from BCB. When you see how small the Bronco tie rod is, compared to the F150 tie rod, the choice to upgrade was easy. If you aren't going to thrash the truck then the Bronco stuff is probably fine. I don't think I'd do the F150 tie rod again, it is expensive, and I'd do the 1 ton TRE/DOM custom steering. It is not hard & it is much beefier than even the F150 stuff.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:40 am

You don't have to do a TRO. I bought f 150 knuckle shims from Tom's and they slid right in like butter. 35 bucks, and yes, youll have to adjust your steering linkage out approx 1". I had plenty of threads left to do it.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 am
Profile YIM
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used JBG's sleeves when i did my Tie rod flip on my fullsize.. which is about the same as the f150 stuff..

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My first try at the COS pull and pay gave no joy. I pulled the spindles from a 76 K10, but they don't match the drawing measurements.

There were was only 1 79 Bronco, but the hubs were already gone.

Every appropriate year 1/2 ton ford truck was a 2 wheel drive or completely stripped.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Why do you need the 79 Bronco hubs? Aren't they the same as you EB's hubs?

I'd go back and get the knuckles, calipers, hangers, spindles, etc off the 79 Bronco and order a set of tie rod sleeves from JBG or BCB. And do the F150 swap.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm thinking about the lock out hub, not the hub, that the lock out fits into, sorry. You'd need those to do the F150 swap. You can buy them new, even as an assembly with the rotor attached.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm still planning on the Chevy disc conversion.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Right on, not trying to tell you what to do. To each their own. Good luck.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I did ford on mine because I was too lazy to purse misc. Parts together. I bought a complete axle for 140$ and took my time cleaning painting and installing. Steel braided lines are the way to go in my humble opinion. I know there's an acronym for that saying but if you corners on communication, just imagine what you will cut corners on next . If you need a have give me a call and I'll help. There might be a tech day for steering systems and build rod ends and drag links that would look nice with new disc brakes.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've seen a few 76, 77 D44s with disc up for sale recently for sub $300. Might be worth checking out.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]