[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Function of clutch arm return spring ?
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Function of clutch arm return spring ? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Function of clutch arm return spring ?
I'm probably using the wrong terminology.....but is the function of the long return spring that attaches to the front of the clutch fork simply to help it return to its starting point after you release the clutch?

Or maybe to keep the clutch engaged?

Mine broke in 2 today...but the clutch seems to work ok.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Function of clutch arm return spring ?
Think it simply keeps tension between the clutch rod and clutch lever so the rod don't fall out when in slack or out of adjustment when the clutch wears. But I wouldn't trust me so....

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mostly keeps the arm pulled back so the throw out bearing isn't always riding on the clutch . Won't affect clutch operation as you found out but can affect the life of the throw out bearing.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool......thanks guys. Bronco Hut has them in stock new so picking one up tomorrow.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I picked one up at autozone. It's a generic one where the long straight arm is straight and you bend it to whatever length you want to apply as much spring tension as you want.

The rod that extends from the clutch pedal mechanism and pushes against the clutch lever is held in place by nothing more than pressure. That spring pulls the lever back tight against that rod. Without it you would have to lengthen that rod all the way out. The result would be a clutch pedal with almost no throw before the clutch disengaged. That can get really really tiring on your left leg, having to feather the clutch with your knee really bent.

I adjusted mine so the clutch disengaged about half way through the throw which made it allot easier to drive.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]