[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Home grown rocker protection?
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Home grown rocker protection? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Home grown rocker protection?
I'm planning on cutting out my rockers and putting in some skis since mine consist of a lot of fiberglass. Was wondering if any of you have any pics of of yours? or build up pics?<br />I was planning on using 2x6 square tubing. Anyone have any suggestions or other options?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Home grown rocker protection?
Here's mine. Made from 2x3.5 (I think) 3/16" tube.

Vertical piece is butted against the bottom of the door jam and the horizontal piece against it. The L-shape is very strong. I would like to tie it into the frame with some bushings someday as it's hard on my body to deal with that stress, but so far it's handled it great!!

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Exactly what I am looking for. So the vertical piece is butted against the floor pan or the supports? I do like that design, looks beefy. Have you takin some hits with them? Have any up and under pics?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you have stock rockers you'll see where I butted them once you cut your rockers off. But it was against a vertical wall inside the rocker and butted to the floor pan. I think I recall cutting the supports around these to get them flush to the floor, then welding supports back to these.

I measured down 3/4" below the door sill and made my cut and removed the rockers. Then push the vertical piece into place against the floor. Then level your horizontal piece into place and tack them together. Pull them down, weld them out and go back in for the final install.

My advice is to cut your rockers and do some measuring to get the right size of steel. It's been too long for me to recall the sizes for sure, but I know I am close. You may also want yours to stick out a little further, so maybe your horizontal or vertical piece can be 1/2" wider.

It's taken some huge hits. I think the body is taking the toll around the door opening, which is why I'd fasten them either 100% to the frame or to the body and then to the frame using bushings. The steel is holding up great. The body is where my problems are arising. Either way, look into tucking your bushing as high as you can. Maybe angle the supports off the frame at opposing angles. The idea is to keep the sliders from moving back and forth as well as up and down. Make sure you have nice baseplates to spread the load out on the frame and go the full height of the frame for best support. Our frames are strong, but the metal itself is pretty thin.

Another change I'd make to mine is to seal them up to be air tanks. Even if you don't have OBA, take care to seal them up so you can use them as such later. Also, maybe make them a little shorter than you think because mine rubbed at full stuff in the rear and I had to cut them down ruining all the work I did to make them look finished.

For what they have been thru, they have worked great. I have pivoted my bronco on them many times and with a lot of force at times.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures that I am aware of and my bronco is in storage while I am in Germany for the next three years.

Here's the best I can do, but it doesn't show you much other than they are still straight even after 5 years of abuse.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thank you for all the info. On your build. I can't wait to get started. Ya I was planning on using them as air tanks as well. That definitely will come in handy. Using bushing to frame is definitely a great idea. I have seen some just welded strait to the frame and that has got to be stressful on the body and frame.
If ya don't mind, I might contact you some more during my build, Thank you again.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post up questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]