[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Explorer rear disk question with a Mopar twist
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Explorer rear disk question with a Mopar twist 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Explorer rear disk question with a Mopar twist
So I'm going to try to use my 74 Bronco's rear end in my 39 Plymouth. I'd like to convert to disk brakes, before I put it under the car. I was thinking the Explorer swap would work out well. My axle has the "medium duty" flange, and 10" brakes, so the Explorer stuff will bolt right up, right?
ford 9 inch axle ends.JPG
Axle Chart.jpg

I think my axles would be right as well, but I don't think I'll be using them. I need the lug pattern to be 5x4.5" to match the Plymouth pattern. And my old axles are not in great shape, one has been redi-sleeved and I'm surprised the other one isn't leaking. So I figure I'd just buy new axles that match my Bronco's measurements, except use the 5x4.5" lug pattern. And I get to skip redrilling the Explorer rotors, since they are 5x4.5".

What other axle differences from the 74 Bronco specs would need changed to fit the Explorer disks? I haven't ever seen the Explorer parts so I can't visualize it. I was reading up last night on CB.com but couldn't find a real good description of what the conversion involves. I think the axle ends need modified to fit inside the Explorer disks, but I couldn't refind that info when I went looking.

Since it would be frowned upon, I won't put my EFI 302 into the Plymouth (it did cross my mind), but I'm going to sneak a little FoMoCo into that Mopar, hopefully with my 9".

I am also going to sneak some Mopar into my Bronco, anyone think this will make a cool parking brake handle? Shhhhhhhh, don't tell any of the guys at the HAMB, or P15 boards, they'll revoke my membership.
P1010484.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Explorer rear disk question with a Mopar twist
Wish I could help on the Explorer brake stuff, but I'm clueless and content with remaining ignorant and running rear drums.

On the E brake side of the house, absolutely. I think those would look cool. I'm planning to use an early 60s F100 T style E brake handle. It bolts up to the underside of the dash and is the pull/twist style of lock rather than the foot pedal.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm happy with my drums on my Bronco. I don't plan on doing anything to them, only started reading this because the hot rod will get disks, all around. I can't find a real write up describing the process anywhere.

The Explorer rear disks are cool because they have an integrated parking brake. But if you don't have the right axles & flanges, it gets complicated. I happen to have the right rear end & want to keep the stock Explorer lug pattern, so it *should* be simple. Plus I expected to replace my axles, so I should be able to order a new set to suit. I just need to decide if I upgrade to 31 spline axles and get a new diff, or stay with upgraded 28 spline and keep my Detriot Locker.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:41 pm

If you want to go to 31 spline I have a set of axles out of chads Bronco that are 5x4.5

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be interested. The backspacing would have to be correct to accept the Explorer brakes. Do you know what year they were built for? I think they need to be made for 2"+ wide drum brakes.

If the specs work out, I'll have a 28 spline Detroit locker for sale/swap, if you were interested.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm not sure on the axles. I know they came out of chads bronco that had a currie rear disc conversion. I'll take some measurements of them tomorrow and let you know.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, I think the most important measurements will be the overall length and the brake backspacing- outside of axle flange to wheel bearing surface/backing plate.

If they aren't right, it looks like a better way for me to go is to use a whole 95-01 Explorer 5.0 rear end, they are wider than the EB rear end. I'd trade my 9" w/Detriot Locker and 4.11s for an Explorer rear end.

I also read that the 4x4 Explorer front brakes can be bolted to the Plymouth too. So I'm going to start looking into that.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Sorry I forgot to measure these. I'm out of town till Thursday so I'll do it then.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool, no hurry, honestly I forgot too.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]