[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Auxillary Tank Strap Removal: how to?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Auxillary Tank Strap Removal: how to? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Auxillary Tank Strap Removal: how to?
Today was the day to drop the auxillary tank and empty/clean it. Did the main a month ago. Is it OEM to have a steel main and plastic auxillary? Surprised me. I need a new skid plate(front is pretty rusted) and would like to put on new straps but for the life of me I can not figure out how to remove them. They are loose and just disapear up into the sheet metal. Is it doable with out cutting stuff?

Thanks in advance
Bill

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Auxillary Tank Strap Removal: how to?
In case it matters, it is a 68.......

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think there are two bolts holding a metal retainer that the straps sit in. Look closely around where the straps enter there should be two bolts undo them then remove metal retainer then you can get the straps off

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Plastic auxiliary is absolutely normal. Pretty sure the only steel auxiliaries you will find are aftermarket.

Haven't pulled mine out but just had a look at it. Do you have 4 bolts under that floor channel? Two close to the rocker and another two near the body mount? I'm thinking removing those four bolts might allow that reinforcing piece to slide forward, off of that channel.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't recall seeing any bolts when I was under there but I will look again Saturday when I am off work(work always seems to get in the way these days). Thanks for the tips. Will let you know what I find.
Bill

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ya might be four. ccan go look i was stumped too then started looking around and saw there was a metal piece there blocking the straps in.. you just pull that metal piece out and the straps just turn out of there.. easy really once you see.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I just grab a screwdriver and pop out that piece of metal towards the front of the straps? No screws or bolts? Will check it out tomorrow(truck satys at my brother's a few miles away...... #&*@ covenants..

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

no its bolted in place.. probably 1/2 or 9/16 bolts..

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got it, will look at it tomorrow. Hoping the bolts are not rusted in there to bad. So far I have been lucky.
On a side note, when I removed the tank, I had to cut the rubber filler tube. Can a piece of radiator hose be used in place so I can get it back together this weekend or do I need to buy a replacement from one of the shops?

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Should be two "J" bolts in the back holding the straps, the front should have a plate holding the straps in their slots (the straps have "T" ends), you should be able to leave the front in place and just pull the back and the tank should drop out for cleaning.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

All is good. tank back in and not leaking. I had to fill it really slow though, no vent tube so got a gasoline bath!! Also had to make a new filler hose with 7" of 2" filler hose cut in half with a 1 1/2" PVC 45 degree elbow. Worked slick and didn't have to wait on shipping for a new hose...... Tires and I am ready to take it out for a trial trail run(with by brother in his 72 Blazer), just in case something breaks.........

Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry I missed this entire post. you gotit all figured out but if your still looking for skid plate and straps and a spare tank I got em all if you need them.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]