[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Machine shop in the Springs area? Broken bolt removal
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Machine shop in the Springs area? Broken bolt removal 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Machine shop in the Springs area? Broken bolt removal
My son's motorcycle broke a stud on the exhaust.

I tried twice to weld a nut on the end of the stud, but each time, the bolt broke further down. So I'm done and want to take it to a machine shop (or somewhere) for professional assistance.

We've removed the head. It's an aluminum head with a steel stud in it.

Any recommendations?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Machine shop in the Springs area? Broken bolt removal
I'd take it to Stan over at Rocky Mountain Machine (3521 E St Vrain) and see what he can do with it. Avoid C&G Machine on Prospect. They completely ignored my request to NOT drill and tap my turbo exhaust housing and 4 days later I wound up with a shoddy job I could have done in my garage.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have you tried an easy out? I'd give that a go if you haven't tried it yet. I broke a bolt head off in my exhaust manifold once, it broke down below the manifold, and the easy out got it out with a little work.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I took it in over lunch and it was done by 2. He used a special torch that heats in a ring around the bolt, then just grabbed it with vice grips. I'd tried that but was too nervous about warping the aluminum. Only cost me $10. Well worth it.

BTW, he said almost every time someone calls with a broken bolt, they've already tried an easy out. They drilled the hole crooked or out of round, then broke the easy out.

They actually have a jig and a machine set up to drill perfect center and square, but he didn't need to use it.

Thanks for the advice.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I assume "he" was Stan over at Rocky Mountain?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not sure of his name. There were 4 guys around, but yes, Rocky Mountain Machine Co.

FYI, they don't do credit cards, so you need cash to pick stuff up. I had to break into my hidden $50 dollar bill.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya that'd be Stan, you probably saw the 351w that he built for the truck I'm building

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And my spare 7.3 block was probably laying around there too.

The Terrible One

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

$10??? Thats it?? Well, hell, a good set of easy outs is at least 3x that. Money well spent Clay.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

He said removing a bolt from aluminum can be tricky. He felt the threads scrubbing so he stopped and bathed it with oil to loosen it. Then continued

I'd have kept going and ruined it. The $10 was very very worth it

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]