[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Vapor Canister and no purge valve on EFI - is this right
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Vapor Canister and no purge valve on EFI - is this right 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Vapor Canister and no purge valve on EFI - is this right
I know this tread is a bit old but thought i would revive it as my question very much goes along with what has been talked about in this thread.

I'm about to install a charcoal canister in my 69 so that I can run a sealed gas cap and not have to worry about fuel spilling out of the cap or the gas smell.

I'm very familiar with the standard mustang EFI setup using the purge valve as I installed on on my 76. Works great and haven't had any problems.

On my 69 Bronco I have a custom EFI setup using a Holley 950 computer and not using the ford computer. I have looked over the Holley manuals and done quite a bit of searching and have concluded without running a custom circuit there is no way to hook up a purge valve with my setup.

In digging deeper It would seem I could just vent the canister to the air cleaner on my bronco and that should take care of the majority of the fuel smell and allow me to run a sealed gas cap.

I have included a few pics below but wanted to post up to make sure I was thinking this through correctly.

Since this inlet is not on the TB/intake the vacuum should be at a minimum and hooking the canister up like this should not cause a vacuum leak as the air at this point is un-metered by the computer/EFI.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Vapor Canister and no purge valve on EFI - is this right
Looks & sounds right, very similar to stock routing.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would agree as long as its not venting while its sitting in the garage, but is while driving should be fine

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

been running this for a while.. and seems to be working for the most part as i haven't smelled any fuel and the pressure equalizes pretty nicely.

I do have one small problem that I've noticed. When its hot out and after a fill up the charcoal canister fills up with fuel and it starts entering the air intake. I heard it bubbling just now when I came home and checked the canister - its overflowing with liquid fuel and was leaking out the top onto the fender pretty close to the exhaust..

I know the easy thing to say is dont fill it up, but i would rather fix it and not have to worry about it or a fire...

I have seen a few check valves online however does anyone know of one that would only allow fuel vapor to pass and not the fuel and allow equalization of the pressure differences?

Besides adding a liquid canister.. really would not like to do this.. any other ideas?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

so i forgot i had bookmarked a valve and ordered one up.. just a FYI this is what i ordered..

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]