[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 1976 Bronco Power steering box rebuild options and ideas
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 1976 Bronco Power steering box rebuild options and ideas 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 1976 Bronco Power steering box rebuild options and ideas
The steering box in my 76 is pretty sloppy and i will need to have it serviced soon, however I'm pretty sure the worm gear is shot in it and rebuilding the box will do nothing unless i can replace the worm gear....

If this is the case then the only solutions I can think of are to purchase another box thats already rebuilt or find a rebuilder that has a good worm gear and have it rebuilt. I have been tentatively been looking online and prices run between $400 and $700 for a rebuilt power steering box for the 76. Not sure on sending it in to get rebuilt however I seem to remember they are a few hundred or more to get done.

Any knowledgeable people out there have other ideas? Changing to a 4x4x2 is not an option.. want to keep the 76 close to stock..

Wed May 22, 2013 2:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 1976 Bronco Power steering box rebuild options and ideas
I haven't used them, but West Texas Offroad has a good reputation as a rebuilder. You may want to give them a call. Should you ship the box somewhere, they'll fit the the largest USPS flat rate box. Put box in a bag, put it in the shipping box, and fill the rest with expanding foam. Makes for very sturdy packaging at very low cost given the weight involved.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good question. I had two power steering boxes rebuilt for two separate broncos from West Texas. From my experience, they did a great job resealing the boxes, but used the same internals.

Both boxes still had enough play from side to side to bother me. I also had new lower steering shafts with new joints. So I've pretty much decided to buy a new box for my next half cab build. A new box costs a lot, but I don't want to spend money on a rebuild and not be happy with it.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used West Texas & my box is doing good still. Have had it for going on 6 years now.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

give Cars Power Steering a call. 303-573-0644 they are located at 845 Wyandot St. just off of 8th ave. He just did my f250 box, one day turn around it cost me about 150 bucks, Talked to him and he said he does some work for Dana and Melissa.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My box is a WTO rebuild. Been happy with it. I thought I read somewhere that the internals are very hard to come by, but some parts are compatible with an XJ or something.

Any way you go, make sure you port it for Ram Assist as I know you'll want it down the road and there is no easier time to get that done than during rebuild process. The ends can just be capped until you are ready.

Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will call around, I want to make sure someone has internals for it before they start tearing into it...

This box is for my 76 so no ram assist... the 69 has a 4x4x2 box on it and will eventually go with ram assist on that but will just build another box and tap it... have half of one in my garage right now ;)

Thu May 23, 2013 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oops I missed that.

Thu May 23, 2013 7:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There's a complete 4 turn set-up on eBay, buy it now for $600.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ya thats rich... hoping for something half that.. i will keep looking but if you guys see anything let me know! I'm going to call around and see what i can find out locally before i start shipping stuff..

Thu May 23, 2013 10:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

WTO charged me $150 then added the 4 turn for $140 extra, just for your pricing needs.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have you considered letting Phil do a tear down and evaluation? He rebuilds them for a very fair price.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]