[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 23 gallon tank install questions
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 23 gallon tank install questions 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 23 gallon tank install questions
I am planning to swap my stock 13 gallon gas tank out this weekend with the 23 gallon standard tank (not the Sherman). It came with a new bracket, sending unit and wires, j bolts, and fuel filter. I plan to use some acetone to attempt to rinse any possible debris out of the tank but I assume the fuel filter will catch anything I do not get.

Questions I have:

I suspect there may be around 2-3 gallons left in the stock tank (gas guage does not work.) Do I need to somehow drain this out before I drop it? If so, what is the best way?

Should I replace any of the hoses or lines currently on the stock tank? If so, which ones? Also, do I need a specific type of line/hose on the other side of the fuel filter?

Finally, is the stock tank worth anything and is it something that people want?

Any other tips or tricks people may have from doing their own swap? I am not running EFI, I am hoping the reason my guage is not working is a bad sending unit (I am hoping the new one takes care of this problem.)

Thanks,
Eck

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 23 gallon tank install questions
1. No not really. You can try to siphon it out via the fuel line, but probably more trouble than it's worth.
2. I would, as long as you're dealing with it. I'd replace anything rubber, and any part store will have rubber fuel hose. If you're still using the original plastic fuel line along the frame rail, an upgrade to steel isn't a terrible idea. U-bend steel brake lines from the parts store work great. I'm planning to do this on mine in the next few weeks since my rig has scary and old rubber lines. Inspect the filler tube and everything else attached to the tank, it's a good time to replace all that stuff if it needs it.
3. Not much, but you may get a taker. I gave away my stock aux tank for the price of Bronco karma, probably could have gotten a few $$ for it.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What size fuel hose is the fuel filler hose neck? Also, what size is the fuel line? They dudes at the local parts store are more use to working on Oldsmobiles and Dodge Neons so I just want to make sure I am getting the correct stuff (I probably went back 8 times for brake line when I did my brake conversion.)

Also-- I am not seeing a sending unit on my current tank (which would be the number 1 reason the gas guage does not work-- ultimate PO lazyness!) What color are the wires suppose to be?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Filler neck came in a couple of different sizes, 1 3/4" was the most common. A ruler will steer you right. Stock fuel line size is 5/16, and it won't hurt anything to go bigger. JBG sells some pre-bent hard fuel lines if you're inclined to go that route.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-153 ... lines.html

I'd be surprised if you didn't have a fuel sender, but POs do weird things, so who knows? It'd likely be on the front of the tank.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yah-- I was looking at the Bronco schematics and realized the OEM location was at the front and not the top like the 23 gallon. I didn't crawl under the Bronco to look, was just looking at the top of the tank and didn't see one. I will be down in Castle Rock for work tomorrow so I will probably pick up a filler hose from BH. They also have the other fuel vent hoses. I may not decide to replace all of the lines this weekend-- wasn't really planning on it and I need to get it done on Saturday to have it back to road worthy.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2 with Justin

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]