[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - NP435 Tranny install.. Pull engine?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 NP435 Tranny install.. Pull engine? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post NP435 Tranny install.. Pull engine?
Hello, getting ready to install an NP435 tranny(once I get an adapter). Is it necessary to pull the engine or can I pull everything off from behind? Trying to figure out what I need to get together before I tackle the job.......... Got all gaskets replaced on a nice tranny so close........... Any good templates out there on where to cut the floor cowl to fit the tranny?

Once done, any market out there for a stock tranny and Hurst floor shifter?

Thanks in advance
Bill

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: NP435 Tranny install.. Pull engine?
You don't need to pull the engine. Just some extra hands to get the tranny in. I did mine by myself but do not suggest to do it. Definitely do it in pieces also. Bellhousing, tranny, t-case, etc.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not much of a market 4 your old one, good for a core charge at the yard. I'd get a couple of guys that run 435s to give you some measurements on where the shifter comes through the floor. I believe it's in front the the floor brace. Do you know how to pop the shifter out?

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here are a couple pics of when I installed my NP435, 10+ years ago. My body mounts are smashed from 40 yrs of abuse (30 years back then), and the body probably sits lower than it did when new. So your results may vary. I had to cut out my body crossmember. I did not know how to take out my shifter when I did my swap, that would have made it 100x easier. I kind of feel dumb now, its really easy to take it out, it just wasn't obvious to me.

And yes, I did heat and bend my shifter while it was in the truck, that is the smoke mark you see on the dash board. Do NOT try that at home. Youthful indiscretion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm out in Erie so not too far. You can come and look at mine. I did mine and then helped three of my buddies with theirs. It was years ago but I think I can remember most of the tricks.

Adam

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Both my Broncos have had NP435s and the hole cut looked pretty much like Gunni's. Let me know when you install yours, I'd like to come help. I'll want to drop mine at some point down the road and haven't pulled a trans before. I've also got a trans jack you can borrow. No need to pull the engine, although if you're going to at some point you might as well do it all at once.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Gunni, nice burn marks on the dash. I saw that and knew exactly what happened :') I did figure out how to get the shifter out. Tried removing those two rivet type things for about an hour with visegrips....those things are super tough..... didn't work so after some messing around, and a lot of frustration I finally figured it out! Gotta laugh about it now. Thanks for the offers. Will let you know when(hopefully this fall sometime) the swap happens.
Boy, you really have to bend that sucker! Does it really get soft enough with a basic blow torch to bend without putting it in a vise? Seems like pretty hard steel to me.

Bill

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I suspect you'll have a tough time with a propane torch. If you want to bring it by, I've got oxy-acetylene, and even then we'd be breaking out the bench vise. We can use my shifter as a template.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I remember trying to pull the roll pins/studs out of the case too. Obviously, that is not the right way. Actually the dash wasn't burnt, just some smoke residue, wiped right off. I don't think you'll do anything with propane, you'll need oxy to do the job. I did it still in the trans, just get it red hot, and it will bend without too much trouble. Good luck.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

On hold for a bit, still trying to locate a used adapter. Also planning on putting in a new clutch/TO bearing while I am in there. The existing one is old but not many miles but probably a good idea since it is all apart. I guess I could plan on definitely doing the TO bearing and have a clutch in case the existing clutch looks good...... actually will just do it, $200 now is better than pulling the motor in a year.... What clutches do you guys use?

Bill

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Luk clutches are great for the price, I believe napa sells them, make sure you give yourself time to send the flywheel out to be resurfaced as well

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2 on Luk. Sachs is good as well.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I assume if I get the clutch at Napa, they can also do the flywheel

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It depends, some can, some can't.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Napa in Boulder used to but that was before they moved over to Arapahoe. They may still but you would need to call first.

Sent from my mobile

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Check the for sale area. Someone just posted a clutch.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just saw that and replied. Don't know that much about clutches.... will that one work on my stock 302? and is that a a decent price(haven't priced them out in over 25 years)?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]